Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Dates and Sequencing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Kaivball,

I have ordered cars before, including my 2010 Roadster......I don't have issues with waiting for a car to be made - that is normal.

My issues are with calls not returned, emails not returned, incorrect information given out (such as not being allowed to trade in my Roadster), lack of communication, and basic pre-sale service. My car is supposed to be arriving as soon as 3 days from now but to date I have had zero Tesla initiated communication. My Roadster needs to be transported 1200km to a service center for inspection which is fine, but I find this out days before my Model S is arriving I still can't get information on when it will be picked up - dates promised have come and gone twice. I can't proceed with the Model S until my Roadster is inspected, and I am still left in the dark on everything - even after specifically asking.

Believe me I love Tesla, bought a Roadster and shares of TSLA to help support Tesla, bought a Model S to continue to do so and I LOVE the cars! But for me everything else at Tesla is lacking badly. I hope they get their **** together for future customers, because once the early adopters have their cars, the general public I fear won't deal with these problems very well.

Hi Kaivball,

I have ordered cars before, including my 2010 Roadster......I don't have issues with waiting for a car to be made - that is normal.

My issues are with calls not returned, emails not returned, incorrect information given out (such as not being allowed to trade in my Roadster), lack of communication, and basic pre-sale service. My car is supposed to be arriving as soon as 3 days from now but to date I have had zero Tesla initiated communication. My Roadster needs to be transported 1200km to a service center for inspection which is fine, but I find this out days before my Model S is arriving I still can't get information on when it will be picked up - dates promised have come and gone twice. I can't proceed with the Model S until my Roadster is inspected, and I am still left in the dark on everything - even after specifically asking.

Believe me I love Tesla, bought a Roadster and shares of TSLA to help support Tesla, bought a Model S to continue to do so and I LOVE the cars! But for me everything else at Tesla is lacking badly. I hope they get their **** together for future customers, because once the early adopters have their cars, the general public I fear won't deal with these problems very well.

I understand your frustration. I think Tesla set a high bar of expectation (especially with home delivery) and you are right, three days out I'd probably want to have more info as well.

You would probably have less anxiety though if you knew less. I.e. no info at all until the car is ready for delivery. Meaning its built and ready to go on the truck.
No prior info on VIN, build dates, delivery windows, etc.

I do agree and am a firm believer that dates have meanings and that you shouldn't give out dates if you can't keep them.

What a day!!! I had checked with my DS earlier in the week to try and be proactive and schedule and plan for my factory pickup and financing of Vin 61xx. Based on that dialogue it seemed like it would be sometime next week. Around noon today I got an email saying that I could schedule my factory pickup for this Friday, Saturday or Sunday!!! Called B of A who were great and able to sign loan documents on-line and have funding scheduled with payment directly to Tesla for tomorrow.! Called DS and got a final MVPA paperwork, signed and returned within 30 minutes. Submited an echeck for payment of the balance due on my dashboard. DS confirmed a factory pickup time for Sunday and was able to book the first morning flight to SFO from LA for Sunday.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to determine and set my own expectation of the production status of my vehicle and be prepared with my plan once I received confirmation from Tesla. I am happy because my car is being delivered at the front end of the delivery window of 3/1-3/15. As I expected, I saved a week by picking up at the factory. I had pre-arranged the financing directly with B of A and not through Tesla. Note that the Tesla - B of A rate is higher than what I was able to get by dealing directly with B of A. This may be a credit risk pricing function which may have ended up being the same but the initially quoted rate from Tesla was higher. I had initially encountered some difficulty with my insurance provider, Met Life, as Tesla was not on their list, however, contacting an agent and having them work with the underwriter satisfactorily resolved the issue. Once again, thank you to all of those before me who posted their experiences as it helped me to be proactive. Garage is ready to go with Nema 14-50 and pre-wired for the HPWC when it arrives. Ordered the Tesla floor mats from the store and they arrived yesterday.

Now let's all hope that Tesla is successful and our leap of faith and willingness to make a potentially risky purchase decision will pay-off with a car that we love to drive, operating cost efficiency and long-term maintenance of its residual value.

I am in a little bit of shock now, as I realize, that my impulse decision in December to place a reservation has resulted in me purchasing an all electric car. I did not start out intending to purchase an electric vehicle. I wanted to purchase a high performance cost/fuel efficient vehicle that I would enjoy to drive. I believe that is a MS.

Now I will be able to spend less time reading every new post on TMC hourly and instead enjoy driving my MS. Thanks to all the poster who helped the time pass and provide me with the education to know what to expect. One of the best features was not having to deal with a car dealer and feeling like I was not getting the best price.

Last edited:
Sweet Beano! Glad to hear someone else here is getting one in SD. I should be getting mine a week later. I can't wait.

Cheers3893, confirmed Sunday at 1:00 pick-up! Very excited. I did have three sightings in the area in the last 2 days believe it or not. One in RSF, and two in Sorrento Valley. So we are not alone in SD. My customer service experience has been great. Once that VIN showed up, Tesla has called & e-mailed me several times. All the paper work is complete and I hope to get the check tomorrow. I ended up financing through San Diego County Credit Union. No problems at all.

Reservation 15807.
Received VIN 6313 in iPhone app today - 2-28 (I already knew my VIN because I had called on 2-22 and received the VIN over the phone).
Delivery window is 3-1 through 3-15
Changed my pick up from Costa Mesa to factory a few days ago, which should result in earlier pick up, at least in theory. We'll see if that ends up being the case.
Still waiting for Final MVPA, which should come any day now. Need that to finish off the financing.

Just thought I would share a fun synchronicity story...

I drove a friend to his MS pickup appt today, and felt no pangs of jealousy along the way.

While he was getting the demo in his car, he asked how the iPhone app worked. He had installed it so pulled it out. I pulled out my own phone, opened the app for the 25th time...and this time, my car had appeared in it.

Oh, my phone rang during the demo. I checked the voicemail later: it was the first call from my DS, getting final information.

I don't know if there's a lesson here. :)

Here's an updated version of the delivery spreadsheet. If you note any items that need correcting, send me a note and I'll update it.

Welcome to Google Docs

The jury is still out on Sequence #12,524. I was told I could pickup the car tomorrow, and that has been repeated at recently as 6:42pm today. But....I still don't have the VIN. And I still don't have the final MVPA. Kinda hard to take care of business without those things!

I got my VIN yesterday #7067, I called in and they gave it to me so now I can start shopping for insurance.

Sequence #17,462
Reserved on 12/31
Invitation to configure on 1/29
Finalized 1/31
Delivery button 2/26
VIN 3/1

Delivery Window: Mar 18 - Apr 1

P85, Black, Black, Pano, CF Spoiler, 21" Silver Wheels, CF Decor, Tech, Sounds, Air Suspension, Rear Facing Seat, Parcel Shelf, Paint Armor, HPWC, Single Charger

Here's an updated version of the delivery spreadsheet. If you note any items that need correcting, send me a note and I'll update it.

Welcome to Google Docs

Great work. FYI, for Res. 8061/VIN 4270 (i.e., me), battery should be 85, Air should be Yes, and Pano should be Yes. I'm not sure whether Location means "where I picked it up" (Rockville is correct; ignore the rest of the sentence) or "where I live" (I don't live in Rockville; please just use "Maryland").

I can’t believe I’ve had it three weeks! :-D

Cheers3893, confirmed Sunday at 1:00 pick-up! Very excited. I did have three sightings in the area in the last 2 days believe it or not. One in RSF, and two in Sorrento Valley. So we are not alone in SD. My customer service experience has been great. Once that VIN showed up, Tesla has called & e-mailed me several times. All the paper work is complete and I hope to get the check tomorrow. I ended up financing through San Diego County Credit Union. No problems at all.

That's awesome. I'll be there at 2:30pm the following Sunday. I've seen one in the Del Mar area on I-15 and my buddy at work in Sorrento Valley has one. It's his fault for driving me around it in. This was just a nice-to-have until that day. It's hard to fault him though for something like this. :)

Outlet is installed in the garage (more solar panels coming soon) and Lloyds floor mats arrived. Just need the car to round it out. Please post pictures of yours on the other thread when you get it. Hope to see you around town in it.

Recent update on 14,480....vin 6276. Delivery window pushed back to 3/4-3/18. Also note that this order is a performance...spreadsheet shows 85.

Thanks! I think that quite a few of the "85's" should be performance. I'll try to keep this spreadsheet up to date at least twice a week since the previous person that was doing this obviously got his long-awaited Tesla and is off driving!!