Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Delivery Hold Week of July 19 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What IF... They removed radar and this is a similar hold as the 3/Y had last month. He has always said he wanted everything on the same FSD Hardware stack....Could be this batch(including mine) doesn't have radar. Love to speculate, maybe i will be famous and Elektrek with run with that.

Reactions: MrExitStrategy
I'm happy to hear that there's no concern, but I also hope they said that because they know for sure it's not critical rather than they don't have the info. I still have faith in Tesla to not put their owners/customers at risk.
If Tesla knows about an issue, which they clearly do, and it poses any kind of danger, then they would be in a huge pile of s**t if they did not immediately advise current owners. Whatever is going on is likely not dangerous. OTOH, maybe it is, and Tesla is displaying massive incompetence. I tend to think the former.

Reactions: MrExitStrategy
I’m a first time Tesla buyer as well and I’m not at the omg it’s not here yet point. RN115… so I figure anytime before Jan and I’ll be happy. Oct - Blank etc….

Not nervous. Anxious. Guess I’m saying I have faith in Tesla. Naive?

Naive, I don't think so.

I can't speak for others but my biggest issue is the non-communication. They're acting like it's no big deal but they're not considering people have a life. I'm sure this is a secondary vehicle for some of you, but this is going to be my primary car. I currently don't have a car because I was supposed to get mine last Sunday. I should also mention that leading up to Sunday, I confirmed with Tesla 4 days in a row that i'm all set for Sunday, then Sunday morning they say never mind with no care. After I got rid of the car I was using and moved all sorts of business meeting and tasks aside because they said I was ready to go, nope not yet.

The email, not a phone call, but the email I received the morning of my delivery, after 4 days of "you're all set for Sunday", was "refrain from coming to the store today". Really, refrain from driving 2.5 hours to the store!!?! They're acting like it's a flipping Chevy dealer where there's one in every city. They have no idea how much work it took to clear an entire Sunday so I could drive 2.5 hours away. All this week I've been shuffling work around, why, because my normal schedule means I wont be able to take delivery for at least another 3 weeks. I'm a very busy person as i'm sure many of you are as well.

So, maybe for PR they don't want to tell me what specifically is wrong, fine; At least give me a decent &#*king ETA? Tell me now it'll be a month and I can move on with my life. "Don't know what's wrong but it'll be at least 2 months", fine, just tell me that. Anyone believing that they have absolutely no clue how long this will take is certainly naive. Someone at Tesla knows, they've decided we're not important enough to also know.

Naive, I don't think so.

I can't speak for others but my biggest issue is the non-communication. They're acting like it's no big deal but they're not considering people have a life. I'm sure this is a secondary vehicle for some of you, but this is going to be my primary car. I currently don't have a car because I was supposed to get mine last Sunday. I should also mention that leading up to Sunday, I confirmed with Tesla 4 days in a row that i'm all set for Sunday, then Sunday morning they say never mind with no care. After I got rid of the car I was using and moved all sorts of business meeting and tasks aside because they said I was ready to go, nope not yet.

The email, not a phone call, but the email I received the morning of my delivery, after 4 days of "you're all set for Sunday", was "refrain from coming to the store today". Really, refrain from driving 2.5 hours to the store!!?! They're acting like it's a flipping Chevy dealer where there's one in every city. They have no idea how much work it took to clear an entire Sunday so I could drive 2.5 hours away. All this week I've been shuffling work around, why, because my normal schedule means I wont be able to take delivery for at least another 3 weeks. I'm a very busy person as i'm sure many of you are as well.

So, maybe for PR they don't want to tell me what specifically is wrong, fine; At least give me a decent &#*king ETA? Tell me now it'll be a month and I can move on with my life. "Don't know what's wrong but it'll be at least 2 months", fine, just tell me that. Anyone believing that they have absolutely no clue how long this will take is certainly naive. Someone at Tesla knows, they've decided we're not important enough to also know.
Thank you. I get it. I couldn’t “like” your post yet, so doing it with words.

thumbsup

i got a generic text today from my Tuesday delivery:

"Your Tesla Model S Update:

Thank you for your patience during this time. We know you are eager to get behind the wheel of your beautiful new car and we want to ensure everything is perfect for you. We have tentatively moved your appointment to Sunday 8/1 at 5PM. Your vehicle may not be ready by then. This is simply a place holder. We are still waiting for an update on the firmware push for your Model S. We will be contacting you as soon as we know more and are here to do anything we can to ensure this is an incredible experience for you moving forward.

We hope that you have a wonderful weekend. We will be in touch as soon as we have information to schedule your delivery!

-TESLA"

What IF... They removed radar and this is a similar hold as the 3/Y had last month. He has always said he wanted everything on the same FSD Hardware stack....Could be this batch(including mine) doesn't have radar. Love to speculate, maybe i will be famous and Elektrek with run with that.
Even though the refresh has (or at least had) radar, i'm not sure they were doing anything with it on this new variant.

If Tesla knows about an issue, which they clearly do, and it poses any kind of danger, then they would be in a huge pile of s**t if they did not immediately advise current owners. Whatever is going on is likely not dangerous. OTOH, maybe it is, and Tesla is displaying massive incompetence. I tend to think the former.
I think the Ford Pinto showed what happens when you know about bad stuff and ignore or don't reveal. In that case, as I understand it, Ford execs felt the "few" deaths would be cheaper to pay off in Court than the cost to fix the problem. And they got hit with some pretty harsh punitive damages. So I doubt that would be the case.
I CAN imagine a manufacturing issue (perhaps) with the newer cars starting with <insert VIN or date here> and not affecting cars up to <insert older VINs here> thus no immediate recall for those in the wild.
Maybe it's chip based, but I would have to believe Tesla would say, "chip issue"
I'd like to hear what is said to investors about the hold - whether safety, quality, supply, etc.

i got a generic text today from my Tuesday delivery:

"Your Tesla Model S Update:

Thank you for your patience during this time. We know you are eager to get behind the wheel of your beautiful new car and we want to ensure everything is perfect for you. We have tentatively moved your appointment to Sunday 8/1 at 5PM. Your vehicle may not be ready by then. This is simply a place holder. We are still waiting for an update on the firmware push for your Model S. We will be contacting you as soon as we know more and are here to do anything we can to ensure this is an incredible experience for you moving forward.

We hope that you have a wonderful weekend. We will be in touch as soon as we have information to schedule your delivery!

-TESLA"
that may be the most clear information for A hold, not necessarily THE hold, that I've seen yet. This works with my theory that there are different chip suppliers, and Tesla needs firmware for different chips. I have no basis, just my guess. For example, why would the firmware for jparg015's car require it to stay in the shop, when there are so many S's in the wild?
ONLY thing I can think of, is because it uses DIFFERENT firmware - and by that, I mean the stuff to control the chips, and maybe a different chip in batch A than batch B, and then Tesla will have the joy of uniform firmware to cover it all - or pieces of firmware for certain hardware layers.
Apple can really control their MacBooks because there's relatively little variety.
Windoze on the other hand has to work with a zillion different hardware configurations.
The chip shortage may be pushing Tesla a bit into the Windoze category with perhaps multiple chips (and maybe boards?) to get around the chip shortage.
Just speculating.

Ok guys calm down. I just got in the early access program and new firmware was pushed to my plaid. I can report errors on screen and through the app. They are clearly fixing firmware....end of discussion.
I know your intention. The reason for the down vote is everyone here knows they're clearly fixing firmware bugs since every software needs updates and bug fixing.

You've just joined the early access program and received the update. That doesn't mean the update is releases just now.

Somebody here has their life ans had to cancel their flights. It's not that easy to say end of discussion with those infos.

No offense with your intention. Good luck with your plaid!

I know your intention. The reason for the down vote is everyone here knows they're clearly fixing firmware bugs since every software needs updates and bug fixing.

You've just joined the early access program and received the update. That doesn't mean the update is releases just now.

Somebody here has their life ans had to cancel their flights. It's not that easy to say end of discussion with those infos.

No offense with your intention. Good luck with your plaid!
I was simply stating it is firmware henece the unsolicited invite to EA and subsequent firmware. I understand people are frustrated (understandably) but I wanted alieve any fears of serious mechanical issues or failures. I will keep my experience to myself. Hope everyone gets their cars soon.

I was simply stating it is firmware henece the unsolicited invite to EA and subsequent firmware. I understand people are frustrated (understandably) but I wanted alieve any fears of serious mechanical issues or failures. I will keep my experience to myself. Hope everyone gets their cars soon.
The point of this forum to exchange news/thoughts/opinions/knowledge. We are all frustrated, but experiences you shared (or will share) are definitely welcomed, whether we like to hear them or not haha.

Any update to EDD for vehicles already at delivery center is just a place holder for now. My EDD change to 7/28 but Tesla rep was very clear that until they get clearance, the schedule is not confirmed.
I'm getting rolling EDD now that automatically updates every day, always a four day window, including today's date.
1627072213995.png

I had a few tentative appointments, starting the 15th, then the 18th, then 24th, but I think they gave up trying to predict. Basically, the hold could be lifted at a moment's notice, but no one knows how long this will drag on.

Reactions: Ormond and Zaker89
The best thing would be to over shoot and pull the date forward. Someone got it pushed to next weekend already and even with that, they said ‘not guaranteed’. Realize that sucks for anyone need to fly or travel to pick it up. But it’s between than wackamole dates.

Reactions: Ormond