Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also appears that some have the carbon fiber spoiler (which we know is Plaid). My hunch is that the active wing is only for Plaid Plus, Plaid gets carbon fiber spoiler, and LR gets nothing.
That seems to be the case. Not that I can afford a Plaid, but if I could that carbon fiber spoiler was a turnoff for me. Just gluing something to the trunk lid as an afterthought looks tacky. I have to imagine particulates like dust and bugs will slowly pack into the edge of the glue strip where you can't clean.

Reactions: boonedocks
That seems to be the case. Not that I can afford a Plaid, but if I could that carbon fiber spoiler was a turnoff for me. Just gluing something to the trunk lid as an afterthought looks tacky.
Um, that's how pretty much ALL rear lip spoilers are done...from the mfgr and aftermarket. Only unless it's literally part of the trunk design, it's stuck on there on all cars dude. Besides, I don't know any mfgr that has a fully carbon fiber trunk and rear end, do you? It's an expensive, lightweight carbon fiber rear lip spoiler...stuck on there. Looks great, imho...like all other sports cars including BMW M-Sport, AMG, etc. that have CF spoilers. I believe the Tesla MS Plaid carbon fiber rear lip spoiler is also in a matte finish, not glossy...can anyone confirm?

Um, that's how pretty much ALL rear lip spoilers are done...from the mfgr and aftermarket. Only unless it's literally part of the trunk design, it's stuck on there on all cars dude. Besides, I don't know any mfgr that has a fully carbon fiber trunk and rear end, do you? It's an expensive, lightweight carbon fiber rear lip spoiler...stuck on there. Looks great, imho...like all othe rsports cars including BMW M-Sport, AMG, etc. that have CF spoilers.
I'm coming from a 3000Gt VR-4 with a functional mechanical spoiler. Gluing it to the lid is tacky (Pun intended). I do I love the spoiler that looks to be for the plaid+.

As far as "All manufacturers doing it this way", there is no reason Tesla could not have molded the trunk lid to have the spoiler built in. They saved money with using the same lid for all models, and then stuck a piece of glue on it. It's an afterthought, and I think it's tacky.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
I'm coming from a 3000Gt VR-4 with a functional mechanical spoiler. Gluing it to the lid is tacky (Pun intended). I do I love the spoiler that looks to be for the plaid+.

As far as "All manufacturers doing it this way", there is no reason Tesla could not have molded the trunk lid to have the spoiler built in. They saved money with using the same lid for all models, and then stuck a piece of glue on it. It's an afterthought, and I think it's tacky.
What's a 3000Gt VR-4? Is that the old Mitsubishi thing from the 1990's? If so, you probably should've just kept that to yourself dude. I drove an e85 700HP/TQ GT-R Black ed (with a fixed rear wing type spoiler...body color but they also had cf too...I believe those are bolted on by Nissan), an AMG, and a Porsche...again the rear lip spoilers are stuck on dude. You seem to stuck on this very "boy racer" rear spoiler thing with you drooling over the HUGE 1'6" high active wing spoiler. I really don't think the Tesla MS LR is your type of vehicle. But I hope you enjoy it and maybe you'll be the guy that adds a HUGE wing spoiler to your $100k Tesla MS LR? I think those guys are called "posers," no? As long as YOU like it and think you look cool dude, I guess that works for you. Cheers.

Last edited:
What's a 3000Gt VR-4? Is that the old Mitsubishi thing from the 1990's? If so, you probably should've just kept that to yourself dude. I drove an e85 700HP/TQ GT-R Black ed (with a fixed rear wing type spoiler...body color but they also had cf too...I believe those are bolted on by Nissan), an AMG, and a Porsche...again the rear lip spoilers are stuck on dude. You seem to stuck on this very "boy racer" rear spoiler thing with you drooling over the HUGE 1'6" high active wing spoiler. I really don't think the Tesla MS LR is your type of vehicle. But I hope you enjoy it and maybe you'll be the guy that adds a HUGE wing spoiler to your $100k Tesla MS LR? I think those guys are called "posers," no? As long as YOU like it and think you look cool dude, I guess that works for you. Cheers.
The mechanical one built into the trunk lid reminds me of the spoiler on my Audi TT and my RS5. They’re definitely a thing on premium sporty cars. I loved that they disappear when not needed, and rise up when you hit a certain speed (or manually controlled).

It’s too bad they didn’t do that for the Plaid, it would have helped a little bit to justify the huge price jump to me. I think it will be good if the Plaid+ gets it though (and I wonder if the non + will still exist in a year or two).

You seem to stuck on this very "boy racer" rear spoiler thing with you drooling over the HUGE 1'6" high active wing spoiler. I really don't think the Tesla MS LR is your type of vehicle. But I hope you enjoy it and maybe you'll be the guy that adds a HUGE wing spoiler to your $100k Tesla MS LR? I think those guys are called "posers," no?
Resorting to insults over an opinion about a car? You sound like a high school kid that just got insulted over a clothing brand. Sorry I stung you so harshly. Your carbon fiber spoiler is very elegant and stylish. I hope that validation sooths your ego. I'll steer clear of responding to your posts in the future.

I've been following this thread somewhat closely and I don't believe I've seen this theory, from a comment on Reddit about 4 days ago...

There is no front radar on the new S/X so I suspect they’re waiting until there’s the new autopilot release to deliver them. Would be weird to deliver their flagships if autopilot doesn’t work properly. This would also explain why the timeline has been so off.

In reading a bunch of other conjecture spread across Reddit and Twitter, I'm just starting to think the refresh S/X shipments are constrained by v11 and FSD software releases. Not battery, semiconductor, or USB cable sourcing issues.

The mechanical one built into the trunk lid reminds me of the spoiler on my Audi TT and my RS5. They’re definitely a thing on premium sporty cars. I loved that they disappear when not needed, and rise up when you hit a certain speed (or manually controlled).

It’s too bad they didn’t do that for the Plaid, it would have helped a little bit to justify the huge price jump to me. I think it will be good if the Plaid+ gets it though (and I wonder if the non + will still exist in a year or two).
Possibly for the Plaid+ but E Musk was quoted in 2019 re: testing the Plaid/Plaid + w/ the active wing spoiler back then on a race track and he said it wouldn't go onto production cars. But who knows what they'll do for the Plaid +. Again, I get it and I know what it's used for; Porsche 911 has an active/hide-away rear spoiler but it's just not that big and "boy racer" looking.