Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After saying IDGAF earlier in this very thread, I'm getting PPF on the whole car next week. Please ridicule me, because I deserve it.

But also help me decide whether I want 'xpel stealth', which is matte/satin, or normal xpel, which keeps the car glossy. I truly can't decide if the matte look is 'dated' or still looks good.

here's the video that made me consider satin/matte..

react 💡 for gloss
react ❤️ for matte
I almost fell for this as well watching this exact video. But realized it was $10K and reading reviews figured I am already up to $100K+ and still unsure of my FSD purchase for $10K... So rationalized and staying put. Maybe will do a ceramic coat for $500 or so and leave it at that. Enjoy the PPF and the stealth does look cool when clean (and can visualize how it would look kind of dusty dark when not cleaned more frequently). Have Fun!

Reactions: Ormond
That is a poor choice unless there is a need for quick charging at home. I have had a 30/208 connection for the last six years, that actually delivers 200/15 or so, typically. That still will deliver a full charge overnight. nearly everyone spends at least ten hours at home at night. Lesser amperage will always be enough if that is true. A 14-50 will save a ton of money and deliver all you'll probably need.

Why is getting a wall charger and quick charging a poor choice? Is there harm in charging faster at home?

Only a poor choice if one does not want to spend more money. Maybe most of us don't care much. I have a Tesla plug but attached to a generic old Bosch wall unit. I suppose I see no reason to spend more money.

Don’t believe it to be a poor choice at all in our family’s case. Many times my wife will travel far within the day and then need a quick top off at home. She’s one of those that used to fill the tank (when we had ICErs) at half tank—just in case. Though we have FSC, she prefers to charge at home and less than ~32 miles/hour won’t cut it. The cost is not a factor. I primarily charge my S at work and her X gets juiced at peak times mostly either from our solar directly or the via the 3 PowerWalls in the garage.

I agree the 21’s are much nicer looking but as far as filling the wheel well, the 19’s and 21’s are almost exactly the same height (rears are 28” tall, same diameter). I had 21’s on for a while, went back to 19’s happily, more range, better ride and way less expensive to replace. Looks aren’t everything and I can not see the wheels when I am driving but I sure can feel the bumps.

Maybe it's the just that there's so much less "wheel" and a lot more "tire" in the well that doesn't look great. Anyway, 21s all the way, ride quality be damned! I've had no issues on my 20s on my 3 Performance, which has no air suspension. I suspect I'll do just fine switching to 21s and air suspension!

Maybe it's the just that there's so much less "wheel" and a lot more "tire" in the well that doesn't look great. Anyway, 21s all the way, ride quality be damned! I've had no issues on my 20s on my 3 Performance, which has no air suspension. I suspect I'll do just fine switching to 21s and air suspension!
It’s true that the air suspension set to Auto or Comfort will absorb a lot of the bumps you might otherwise feel in a coil setup. I can confirm this when I test drove Omar’s car.

However your 21s with thin tire profiles will probably be more subject to punctures or rim damage due to pot holes than 19s, which will inherently have much more sidewall to help prevent such issues.

I’m personally sticking with 19s, especially since my source (and Sam’s) confirmed they are starting to be produced this month - and we are finally starting to see some sightings of them in the wild! Exciting.

It’s true that the air suspension set to Auto or Comfort will absorb a lot of the bumps you might otherwise feel in a coil setup. I can confirm this when I test drove Omar’s car.

However your 21s with thin tire profiles will probably be more subject to punctures or rim damage due to pot holes than 19s, which will inherently have much more sidewall to help prevent such issues.

I’m personally sticking with 19s, especially since my source (and Sam’s) confirmed they are starting to be produced this month - and we are finally starting to see some sightings of them in the wild! Exciting.

No argument with any of your points. I just know that the 21s look so darn good. Have to do it, potholes be damned! Also, the Michelins are light years better than the Pirellis for grip, and the tires are wider, so if grip is your thing, the 21s are where it be at!

No argument with any of your points. I just know that the 21s look so darn good. Have to do it, potholes be damned! Also, the Michelins are light years better than the Pirellis for grip, and the tires are wider, so if grip is your thing, the 21s are where it be at!

Aftermarket 20’s or 21’s are a good option too. Signature wheels posted some. They are forged, lighter, and stronger. I bet a lot of Plaid owners will put down faster times with lighter wheels. Can knock off 10lbs per wheel, easily.

Last edited:
Aftermarket 20’s or 21’s are a good option too. Signature wheels posted some. They are forged, lighter, and stronger. I bet a lot of Plaid owners will put down faster times with lighter wheels. Can knock off 10lbs per wheel, easily.

Absolutely aftermarket is a good option. But many of us just want that off-the-lot, stock feel, with the best tires around. Count me in. I wouldn't expect too different of a 1/4 mile time with 10lbs off per wheel, but look forward to people trying! They said the same thing with the Model 3 Performance and the 20s vs 18s, and the 20s are pulling pretty much identical times.

I love the look of the arachnids but for me I just don't want to give up the extra range with the 19s. If the range were identical I would have gone for almost any other wheel option they had.

My plan is to get some aftermarket 19s or 20s eventually and then use the stock 19s as winter wheels.

With power like either the LR or Plaid has, I’ll take the factory grip over range. Ideally Tesla would take another few $K off and let us provide our own wheels/tires. 🤣

Yes! I mean when you factor it’s $4.5K to forego the 19s and take 21s, that’s some serious profit margin!

Now that I think about it, it's actually pretty crazy because the retail value of 19s with P zeros is at least $2500 so if you figure $2500 credit for the 19s + a $4500 premium for the arachnids they are basically putting a $7k value on the arachnid wheel and tire combo.

Absolutely aftermarket is a good option. But many of us just want that off-the-lot, stock feel, with the best tires around. Count me in. I wouldn't expect too different of a 1/4 mile time with 10lbs off per wheel, but look forward to people trying! They said the same thing with the Model 3 Performance and the 20s vs 18s, and the 20s are pulling pretty much identical times.

I would really like to know the answer to this question! Will be interesting to see the comparison. Also, the ZeroG's support a wider tire if I remember correctly. So more grip will be available.

Pre-production planning. Sounds like something that should’ve been done back when the car was announced lol.

What I’m curious about is what makes 19 inch version such a big deal/issue. Unless they’re going to change something to the car itself, other than obviously the rims, then why is there even any planning?
The most obvious answer is wheel/tire availability. It "feels" like a supply issue. I'm hopeful it is a supply issue and not a business decision based on margin.

The thin side wall is most certainly a consideration for ride quality but dampers can be used to absorb energy not buffered by the side walls. For me, the biggest difference in a change in wheels was dropping 10 lbs per corner in wheel weight. Sprung to unsprung weight ratios on suspensions has everything to do with wheel response time and the tire's ability to stay attached to the road. It also dramatically affects ride quality.

Unlike others who concentrate on wraps and such, my very first work will be on quantifying rim weight for the stock 21s versus affordable (TSW) and stupid expensive (forged/machined) 20" rims. If the current 21s are similar to previous Tesla rims there is likely a very nice ride and performance (less mass to spin accelerating or braking) benefit to be had changing rims.