Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the email I got today (hadn't heard anything since I confirmed on the 6th)

Dear Ken –
Great news! Your Tesla Model S is about to enter production and we’re ready to schedule a date for you to pick up your car here at our Van Nuys Delivery Center. Please select a date/time below that would be convenient for you:

Saturday August 3: 11am or 1pm
Monday August 5: 12pm or 2pm
Tuesday, August 6: 10am or 12pm

Tesla Van Nuys Delivery Center
6919 Hayvenhurst Ave
Van Nuys, CA 91406

In addition, I’ll need the following important items to prepare your delivery paperwork:

1. Email to me a scan/copy of your driver’s license & insurance card (does not need have Model S included, just needs to be current)
  2. Please let me know how will you be paying for your Model S? Options include financing through your bank/credit union, through Tesla Finance (link to application in your MyTesla account) or personal payment in full.

Once I have this information, I’ll book your scheduled pick-up date/time and send you an official confirmation. We look forward to meeting you.

Best regards,
Dave

Of course I took the earliest time on Saturday!

Is this normal Tesla procedure? When one orders a car, is it expected that you have to *email* a scan of a driver's license to Tesla? Is this what everybody has done?

I can understand uploading PDF scans to a secure DocuSign account during a Tesla transaction, but *email* no way.

Is this normal Tesla procedure? When one orders a car, is it expected that you have to *email* a scan of a driver's license to Tesla? Is this what everybody has done?

I can understand uploading PDF scans to a secure DocuSign account during a Tesla transaction, but *email* no way.

If you're concerned, do a PDF scan with a password, mail it and then call your DS to provide the password. I was also asked for this information and didn't think twice about sending it.

Same here, DS asked for my DL and Ins. Card, I had both saved on my phone already, sent them right over. I could understand things like SS#'s etc, but DL's don't scare me as much. Plus with so much fraud prevention, credit monitoring, etc. I try to keep a handle on my anti-identity theft. Plus, if you were going to steal someone's identity it probably would be hard to pass for a "Hussain".

Thanks! I called and was told nothing really new except she said I'd have "plenty of time" to provide payment once they ask for it without delaying the delivery.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I learned my DS's name is Brian.

more than you knew when you started right? I recommend taking care of your down payment ASAP, I paid mine last Friday and it seems the process is going faster, could just be me though.

more than you knew when you started right? I recommend taking care of your down payment ASAP, I paid mine last Friday and it seems the process is going faster, could just be me though.

I was told I would see a "pay button" show up on my mytesla page and I should pay then...I have my blank check from my credit union already so it's just a wire transfer/e-check that I need to do once the pay button shows up?

I was told I would see a "pay button" show up on my mytesla page and I should pay then...I have my blank check from my credit union already so it's just a wire transfer/e-check that I need to do once the pay button shows up?

That sounds about right. I did the whole thing form my chair at the cabin on the laptop. Took all of ten minutes. I'm pretty sure I got an email telling me it was time to pay though. This was early March. I don't think anything you could do "wrong" now would hold up delivery. Except not pay when they ask i guess.:smile:

I was a little frantic about timing payment, but it's really no big deal. They emailed me with the link to pay online with just routing and checking account number, and I financed a small portion but my bank was familiar with Tesla and handled it with them directly for me. Applied online, got almost instant approval (although that could be because it is also my employer for the last 24 years!) Cake walk.

I've been waiting months to post to this thread. I pick mine up tomorrow and don't expect to get much sleep tonight. It actually arrived in Rockville, MD SATURDAY, but today is the first day that worked for us to pick it up. If it were up to me I would have been there Monday when the place opened, but the wife wanted to be there too. Happy wife....

I picked up my Model S today. :biggrin:

Wow. I drove it five miles before grounding myself at the tint place for Pinnacle 35/15/Air80, then back to work, then to my rec league bball game, and then home - from 115 rated miles down to 38, with only 55 actual miles added to the odometer.
:wink:

It's so much fun. I had a big Tesla Grin the whole time. I already love the one-pedal driving that the regen allows; I turned off Creep and now can just relax at stoplights.

Fit and finish are great. While at the service center this morning, I looked over the car very carefully for upwards of an hour and didn't find any problems. I used nickjhowe's extensive Delivery Checklist, having highlighted all the items I needed to mark off beforehand.

The car is super-dirty* so I'm not really taking pictures; here are a few, with more to come this weekend after paint correction, polishing, and Opti-Coat tomorrow.

How cars waiting for delivery are presented at the Costa Mesa SC (that's my car):

JVW3gAk.jpg

Busy SC, with a Sig Red in the foreground:

cX2derW.jpg

Tesla battery shipping boxes:

PJ3TmyL.jpg

Getting tint:

9zj3tt4.jpg

--------

First impressions:

- Extremely impressed by the acceleration and handling. I went on two test drives, but both of those vehicles were P85+s. I didn't really know how the 60 was going to handle and was a little worried that I wouldn't have the fantastic experience that I had with the test drives. There's nothing to worry about. It's just as fun as I remembered.

- 3G is slow. I work for a speed-sensitive software company and am used to my devices being super-responsive. The amount of time between when I say "Play 'Sail' by AWOLNATION" and when the choices actually appear on the screen is way way way too long. It really shouldn't take longer than five seconds; my phone on 4G can do it in three.

- I thought voice search would also work for music on USB-connected devices. It seems like it's just for Slacker.

- Most of the features the software does have are great and well-executed, but there's clearly a lot of potential for many other cool things. I hope that some of them (phone favorites/speed dial, different nav volume for when music is playing) will come in future updates.

- I heard a high-pitched sound during hard acceleration. It's the same sound I heard on both of the test drive cars. I can hear a similar but much quieter sound during regen (this second sound may be inaudible to those with "well-used" hearing). I've done a lot of reading about the sounds and noises from the car and I think/hope/am going to assume that these sounds are both normal and expected.

- I love the black exterior with the black interior; I think it looks really cool. I did already notice a reduction in interior glare and temperature from the tint. The piano trim is very reflective; views from the passenger side window mirroring off the trim in front of the passenger seat were very distracting to me today. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

* My detailer asked me to asked the service techs not to wash it, since they'd likely just add scratches that he'd have to work (and charge me) to remove in addition to the post-factory correction. Since the car arrived at the SC on Thursday, it sat outside for five days, including through a rain shower, and it is just covered in dust and dirt. It makes me quite sad to see it like it - it's certainly the dirtiest it'll ever get - but I just keep reassuring myself that I'm taking it to the best in the business tomorrow and afterwards it'll be all glossy and gorgeous like it should be.

Last edited:
I've been waiting months to post to this thread. I pick mine up tomorrow and don't expect to get much sleep tonight. It actually arrived in Rockville, MD SATURDAY, but today is the first day that worked for us to pick it up. If it were up to me I would have been there Monday when the place opened, but the wife wanted to be there too. Happy wife....

Happy wife, happy life. Congrats on picking up your car, now post some pics!

- - - Updated - - -

I picked up my Model S today. :biggrin:

Wow. I drove it five miles before grounding myself at the tint place for Pinnacle 35/15/Air80, then back to work, then to my rec league bball game, and then home - from 115 rated miles down to 38, with only 55 actual miles added to the odometer.
:wink:

It's so much fun. I had a big Tesla Grin the whole time. I already love the one-pedal driving that the regen allows; I turned off Creep and now can just relax at stoplights.

Fit and finish are great. While at the service center this morning, I looked over the car very carefully for upwards of an hour and didn't find any problems. I used nickjhowe's extensive Delivery Checklist, having highlighted all the items I needed to mark off beforehand.

The car is super-dirty* so I'm not really taking pictures; here are a few, with more to come this weekend after paint correction, polishing, and Opti-Coat tomorrow.

How cars waiting for delivery are presented at the Costa Mesa SC (that's my car):

View attachment 26552

Busy SC, with a Sig Red in the foreground:

View attachment 26553

Tesla battery shipping boxes:

View attachment 26554

Getting tint:

View attachment 26555

--------

First impressions:

- Extremely impressed by the acceleration and handling. I went on two test drives, but both of those vehicles were P85+s. I didn't really know how the 60 was going to handle and was a little worried that I wouldn't have the fantastic experience that I had with the test drives. There's nothing to worry about. It's just as fun as I remembered.

- 3G is slow. I work for a speed-sensitive software company and am used to my devices being super-responsive. The amount of time between when I say "Play 'Sail' by AWOLNATION" and when the choices actually appear on the screen is way way way too long. It really shouldn't take longer than five seconds; my phone on 4G can do it in three.

- I thought voice search would also work for music on USB-connected devices. It seems like it's just for Slacker.

- Most of the features the software does have are great and well-executed, but there's clearly a lot of potential for many other cool things. I hope that some of them (phone favorites/speed dial, different nav volume for when music is playing) will come in future updates.

- I heard a high-pitched sound during hard acceleration. It's the same sound I heard on both of the test drive cars. I can hear a similar but much quieter sound during regen (this second sound may be inaudible to those with "well-used" hearing). I've done a lot of reading about the sounds and noises from the car and I think/hope/am going to assume that these sounds are both normal and expected.

- I love the black exterior with the black interior; I think it looks really cool. I did already notice a reduction in interior glare and temperature from the tint. The piano trim is very reflective; views from the passenger side window mirroring off the trim in front of the passenger seat were very distracting to me today. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

* My detailer asked me to asked the service techs not to wash it, since they'd likely just add scratches that he'd have to work (and charge me) to remove in addition to the post-factory correction. Since the car arrived at the SC on Thursday, it sat outside for five days, including through a rain shower, and it is just covered in dust and dirt. It makes me quite sad to see it like it - it's certainly the dirtiest it'll ever get - but I just keep reassuring myself that I'm taking it to the best in the business tomorrow and afterwards it'll be all glossy and gorgeous like it should be.

Congrats and great write up!