Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When to a local Tesla Service Center, early this morning, just to see what might be hanging around in the lot. I found six Plaids and two LRs.

Observations:
1) All had black interiors (Plaids and LRs)
2) White, Black and Blue were the only colors I saw.
3) Most were still in wraps from shipping
4) All were sold/pre-orders (per the SA in the lot)
5) Saw many QC issues, like heavily wrinkled driver's seat bolsters (maybe 25% of the eight), misaligned plastic to body molding, etc. Of course, I couldn't really grade the paint as the cars had some wrap and were very dirty/gritty. And I do mean "very".
6) ALL 21s; no 19s

Overall, I left a bit underwhelmed, I must admit. :confused: Probably because there was no inventory "for sale", and the cars I looked at were not prepped and delivery ready. I'm thinking about moving away from the Plaid black interior, as it didn't move me as I had expected. Yes, I have owned, and still own, cars with black interiors and like them a lot - which is why I ordered my Plaid with a black interior. Rethinking that decision now. YMMV.

Last edited:
The purpose of my question was to find out if there are any technical benefits of a wall charger over a mobile charger, which currently charges 20 mph for me.

My understanding is the mobile charger can wear out from too many plugs in/out of the 14-50. If you leave it plugged in there, that won’t be a problem, but then you don’t have the mobile charger with your car when traveling. Or, you take only a few trips which mitigates the need to unplug the charger often. Seems like a lot of inconvenience and possible risk of forgetting the mobile charger when you need it, so that’s why I went with the wall charger.

I received my VIN 13 days ago for my Plaid black/black 21" CF and now my estimated delivery is August 12-18. The customer service at Tesla is horrible. I texted twice and emailed just asking where my car is at this moment and when should I expect delivery and no one is responding.

They may not have any details if you’re date keeps increasing every day. If it’s sticking to a range or relatively close for days, then call them and they should be able to track where the car is at.

I'm pretty sure that's diesel fuel.
Really? Are you sure? I was positive the paint on the Tesla's just simply turned to liquid.
1628003908203.png

Well their is small benefit to using a HPWC vs just 1450. your mobile connector can only pull 32 amp max no matter if you have a 50amp breaker or higher. The HPWC will pull 40amp on on a 50amp breaker Basically charging faster by about 2kw (10kw)I have both. One hardwired (11-12kw) and one that I wired to a nema 1450 connect end and both work great. imo I think the mobile charger should stay with car, you can get a mobile connector for like 300 bucks. for 200 more you can get a wall connector and 35 bucks from homedepot can wire it and plug into that 1450 outlet. Win win situation. 8kw is plenty for overnight charging. The wall connector looks better and aesthetics are big for some people. For a little more, you can have the better look, faster charger (10kw vs 8kw) and can easily remove the charger by simply unplugging it and removing it from the wall if you move Or need that outlet for high powered tools.
I’m not against people getting the wall connector if they want one. I’m just letting new buyers know that they don’t HAVE to buy one to effectively charge their car.

Why not tint the small window? Feel like that is going to look odd.

Agreed, I’m going to; not sure why the person who did it in that photo didn’t. I was a bit concerned about difference in window tints, so was considering do 50 all the way around and 70 on the windshield. But, I think the gradient effect will both look cool and help me not get pulled over in a red car.

How is the 70 on the windshield? Any visibility issues at night? Rainbow effects with polarized glasses? Is the heat reduction on your legs and arms noticiable? Thanks!
Perfect. No visibility issues at all. I also have the Tesla mesh screen on the roof and rear. I cannot stress enough the benefit/comfort of having that extra UV protection. Especially on a car with so much glass.

Just double checked the Tesla Insurance policy that I signed up for in CA. It doesn’t include lease/loan gap coverage by default, so will be calling then to add that:

View attachment 691522
I didn't like the fact that to make any changes, you have to call them everytime. Seems very archaic considering all other insurance allow changes online.

Alright, so not only have I joined you all in perpetual and eternal EDD suffering, I'm now officially the catalyst for bringing my significant other along with my suffering. I may not have a garage, but have these bad boys waiting in my foyer until I get my car delivered. Now she will be reminded I don't have my car yet everyday she leaves and comes home. These are the OEM plaid arachnids. Making a change on my account would have cost me 14,500 due to price change, so I bought them for 6k from the only seller I could find. Also, where's my car Elongated Muskrat?????

Attachments

• 20210803_104257.jpg
    20210803_104257.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210803_104233.jpg
    20210803_104233.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 51
Alright, so not only have I joined you all in perpetual and eternal EDD suffering, I'm now officially the catalyst for bringing my significant other along with my suffering. I may not have a garage, but have these bad boys waiting in my foyer until I get my car delivered. Now she will be reminded I don't have my car yet everyday she leaves and comes home. These are the OEM plaid arachnids. Making a change on my account would have cost me 14,500 due to price change, so I bought them for 6k from the only seller I could find. Also, where's my car Elongated Muskrat?????
Thats a lot of cheese!
On a serious note, if you had waited a month, I would have sold you my ceramic coated arachnids for far cheaper than 6k

I didn't like the fact that to make any changes, you have to call them everytime. Seems very archaic considering all other insurance allow changes online.
Seriously! Shocked I can’t make changes online considering it’s Tesla. Must not be a priority for Elongated Muskrat (shout out to @plaidGhost for the epic moniker)!

MSLR black on black 21inch wheels. Kansas city Mo

Was blank till about 6/15 with an EDD of September. This past Monday, 7/26 I showed 14 day ranges.

7/26 showed 8/10-8/24
7/27 showed 8/11-8/25
7/28 showed 8/12-8/26
7/29 showed 8/13-8/27
7/30 showed 8/14-8/28
7/31showed 8/15-8/29
8/1 showed 8/16-8/30
8/2 showed 8/16-8/30
8/3 (today) shows 8/17-8/31

I did email the rep I deal with yesterday, I got excited the the date stayed the same for 2 days between Sunday-Monday. He said he doesn't have any known dates but "forecasts" September 🙄
One of the contacts at Tesla sent me an email today and said they currently have no timeline or date for the 19" wheels which is extremely frustrating. I don't see any light at the end of this tunnel. It is extremely easy for those that have the car to try to be the sliver of hope and tell people it's okay to wait like idiots once they themselves got their car and Tesla worked with some of them to ensure they got to switch their wheels to 21" wheels at no cost or at the fair price of 4500 instead of 14,500 (as told by my SA) but for the rest of us who are ignored this is the worst fuccking car buying experience ever. This makes me not want to want the car as much as I did say a month ago. Then again there are no other options. Fu*k this sh*t

Actually, you are not putting anything on the wall. Just plug in mobile charger, hook up the 14-50 adapter at the business end of the charger and you are good to go! Having said that, all personal preference and if you have endless supply of $$, then why not!
The purpose of my question was to find out if there are any technical benefits of a wall charger over a mobile charger, which currently charges 20 mph for me. Aesthetically, the wall charger does look cool!
Not sure if this has been answered but my experience has been

120v w/ Mobile Charger - 7 kms/h
240v w/ mobile charger - 40 kms/h
240v w/ wall charger- 70 kms/h

Note this is with a Model 3 Performance and I believe these numbers would be a bit lower with the older Model S. Not sure about the refresh.

We recently moved into a new place and I electricians installed 2 wall chargers. The odd time during the day it has been handy to really rapidly top the cars up. Other than that they look cool. 👌👀

Last edited:
One of the contacts at Tesla sent me an email today and said they currently have no timeline or date for the 19" wheels which is extremely frustrating. I don't see any light at the end of this tunnel. It is extremely easy for those that have the car to try to be the sliver of hope and tell people it's okay to wait like idiots once they themselves got their car and Tesla worked with some of them to ensure they got to switch their wheels to 21" wheels at no cost or at the fair price of 4500 instead of 14,500 (as told by my SA) but for the rest of us who are ignored this is the worst fuccking car buying experience ever. This makes me not want to want the car as much as I did say a month ago. Then again there are no other options. Fu*k this sh*t
Agreed! I don’t think this is a sunk cost fallacy, so sticking it out if you can is still really the best option. But, it is a great learning lesson of how to deal with Tesla in the future, or how not to deal with them altogether.

My understanding is the mobile charger can wear out from too many plugs in/out of the 14-50. If you leave it plugged in there, that won’t be a problem, but then you don’t have the mobile charger with your car when traveling. Or, you take only a few trips which mitigates the need to unplug the charger often. Seems like a lot of inconvenience and possible risk of forgetting the mobile charger when you need it, so that’s why I went with the wall charger.
I spoke with an electrician about this. It’s not the mobile charger more the pins on the NEMA 14-50 socket. They are not designed to have plugs in and out multiple times a day and can wear.

I guess it depends on whether you take your mobile charger with you on every trip. Before we had our wall chargers I actually forgot my mobile charger when I was on a road trip and that’s a real pain if needed.

If they’re in the way, you can use them as a glass topped dining, coffee, or end (2) table. Call it “Miami chic.”