Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I am with @2021plaid on this one, although I understand where you are coming from. There is no comparison with the risk of high speeds and not proper set-up (i.e. blow outs) and not running the right tire for the season. Apples and Oranges. I could see Tesla checking to make sure the appropriate wheels and tires are in place before unlocking.

For example, there is no way a Corvette dealer would sell you a C7 ZR1 Corvette (top speed 200+ MPH requires validated wheel and tire combo) from the show room without the factory wheels and tires installed. I think Tesla will see this no differently in that they would require the "factory combo" setup before the unlock. I could see the liability danger here if not.
EXACTLY! Each car is different, and has to be validated to the proper parameters for the manufacturer. Even though aftermarket companies may be able to get to design specs, and be technically good: as Tesla, would you want to take that chance?

This is EXACTLY what I'm wondering too. Here's my synsopsis: you as the customer will not be able to go 200 if you bought the 19" wheels. For the foreseeable future.. The original wheels are likely embedded in the VIN. Think about it this way: A customer could totally lie and say that that they have the proper tires, when they haven't. WAYYYY to much liability. So the 19" cars are likely hard limited to their 163 mph. Tesla will possibly allow people to call in or send proof or something that way it can be unlocked. I mean, this could be serious. If a tire blows up at 180+ mph, or even 163 mph, you are pretty much dead.
My question is: other than Mexico, where does one find the road to hit 200 mph?

I think I am with @2021plaid on this one, although I understand where you are coming from. There is no comparison with the risk of high speeds and not proper set-up (i.e. blow outs) and not running the right tire for the season. Apples and Oranges. I could see Tesla checking to make sure the appropriate wheels and tires are in place before unlocking. Not having the right speed rated tires to support those speeds is extremely dangerous.

For example, there is no way a Corvette dealer would sell you a C7 ZR1 Corvette (top speed 200+ MPH requires validated wheel and tire combo) from the show room without the factory wheels and tires installed. I think Tesla will see this no differently in that they would require the "factory combo" setup before the unlock. I could see the liability danger here if not.
Do you see Brooks @ Dragtimes not getting his MS Plaid speed unlocked by Tesla? He is now running his MS Plaid on the same Signature SV104 wheels I ordered. Only difference is he opted for 20” while I stayed with the 21” wheels & tires.

Do you see Brooks @ Dragtimes not getting his MS Plaid speed unlocked by Tesla? He is now running his MS Plaid on the same Signature SV104 wheels I ordered. Only difference is he opted for 20” while I stayed with the 21” wheels & tires.

Good question. We are going to find out. I would not have assumed that they would do the speedo update on aftermarket wheels. I think after it's done, then you can obviously do what what you want.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Going over the speed limit doesn't go past design and engineering limits. Can you imagine the trouble, especially from the over-reactive media, that Tesla would be in of they let a car do over its recommended tire speed without letting anyone know?
So then see my previous post about them giving everyone summer tires for 21" rims, regardless of delivery location or time of year.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Maybe you can see what he wears when he drives. You could wear the same outfit.

Good question. We are going to find out. I would not have assumed that they would do the speedo update on aftermarket wheels. I think after it's done, then you can obviously do what what you want.
How would Tesla know for sure what wheels are on the car? It’s been said that they really do NOT spy on their customers so I would think all they’re going with would be the wheels & tires ordered on your car. I mean do you think I really need to keep a set of 4 huge oem Tesla wheels in my garage just to take pictures to send to Tesla in order for them to push their s/w update that unlocks the speed limiter past 163mph? I mean it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. I could be wrong but it would be really odd for Tesla to “demand” proof that your car still has their wheels and specific tires on the vehicle. 🤔

All their marketing shows the Plaid can go”up to 200mph…with the proper wheels & tires.” We know now that the Michelin Pilot SS tires are in fact (Y) rated so now what’s left…the wheels? Okay, which wheels? The Tesla 21” Arachnid wheels or some other Tesla wheel (like their own 20” forged wheels w/ same Michelin Pilot SS tires)? IDK and I guess we’ll find out this Fall (maybe) but it all seems quite suspect that they wouldn’t give everyone with the 21” Arachnid wheels & Michelin Pilot SS tires the speed limiter unlock s/w update, right? I mean how many people will buy their special wheels for $8k or whatever they want to charge for those forged 20” racing wheels? We’ll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: SSDTester#1
While we're on the limiter talk. What's the deal with the speed limiter on 21s then? The tire is rated for 186mph.
Nope, they are (y) rated which is different from y without a parentheses. (Y) means they are rated for over 186 mph.

Just FYI - it's only a matter of time before some YouTuber kid kills someone with a Plaid. There are a number of videos out there with kids showing its speed while seemingly being more interested in the video. My prediction - insurance rates skyrocket on the Plaid next year.
I am more worried that the government will force manufacturers to put a governors on all electric vehicle. e.g. 0-60 above 6 seconds
They already forced all new EVs to make noise. They love to force their will on our lives. That is why I want my car and Cybertruck delivered asap. Before some idiot thinks they need to slow down our vehicles in the name of public safety.

Holding strong with my Oct to Nov delivery while Tesla is reevaluating my trade in. While my Model Y order fluctuating estimate delivery dates daily between Nov to Dec.

I am more worried that the government will force manufacturers to put a governors on all electric vehicle. e.g. 0-60 above 6 seconds
They already forced all new EVs to make noise. They love to force their will on our lives. That is why I want my car and Cybertruck delivered asap. Before some idiot thinks they need to slow down our vehicles in the name of public safety.

Holding strong with my Oct to Nov delivery while Tesla is reevaluating my trade in. While my Model Y order fluctuating estimate delivery dates daily between Nov to Dec.
Can you imagine the utter outrage though if the government did that? EXTREMELY unlikely, and the manufacturers would likely lobby against that, as they lose a massive amount of high margins, and the market altogether for performance vehicles.
It's one thing to have cars make noises, and control EPA emitions, and its another to do take away something they never have before, and take an entire market with it. The government has bigger stuff to worry about than stopping semi rich to rich people from driving fast cars.

How would Tesla know for sure what wheels are on the car? It’s been said that they really do NOT spy on their customers so I would think all they’re going with would be the wheels & tires ordered on your car. I mean do you think I really need to keep a set of 4 huge oem Tesla wheels in my garage just to take pictures to send to Tesla in order for them to push their s/w update that unlocks the speed limiter past 163mph? I mean it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. I could be wrong but it would be really odd for Tesla to “demand” proof that your car still has their wheels and specific tires on the vehicle. 🤔

All their marketing shows the Plaid can go”up to 200mph…with the proper wheels & tires.” We know now that the Michelin Pilot SS tires are in fact (Y) rated so now what’s left…the wheels? Okay? Which wheels? The Tesla 21” Arachnid wheels or some other Tesla wheel (like their own 20” forged wheels w/ same Michelin Pilot SS tires)? IDK and I guess we’ll find out this Fall (maybe) but it all seems quite suspect that they wouldn’t give everyone with the 21” Arachnid wheels & Michelin Pilot SS tires the speed limiter unlock s/w update, right? I mean how many people will buy their special wheels for $8k or whatever they want to charge for those forged 20” racing wheels? We’ll see.

No clue. This is an odd situation as I have never seen this before. I would not have delivered a "200 MPH" car without the right wheels and tires to begin with.