Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the tire on my S LR 19" Being delivered tomorrow. Show PZ4 which is listed as a Summer Tire

View attachment 704729View attachment 704730
thanks, this is EXACTLY what I DON'T want. I already have a set of rims in my garage with all seasons, to replace the summer tires on my predecessor car - There were no run flat all seasons in the 20" size, i should have bought winter tires, i didn't, so the all seasons kept getting flats. I had to get new 19" replica rims, and then i was able to get 19" all seasons which have been fine.
I'd rather avoid the hassle, storage and cost of new tires and storage of the stock summer tires - all seasons would be perfect for me.

Getting a LR white/black interior with the 19s delivered in Northeast Ohio this Sunday. Called the SC and they said all 19s come with the Pirelli summer tires. I can't for the life of me understand how/why they are delivering summer tires in colder climates. Not sure what to do at this point but I surely don't want to have to spend $1,500+ to get winter tires or a winter set.
i'm still not certain if the all season tires are yet available. I never imagined lack of tires may have accounted for the 19" delays. I want my blue baby - but if i refuse delivery and get in 3 months or whatever, i maybe have a better chance of all season tires, or at least i'd ahve less time on the summer tires in the colder months.

3:19
Do we know what the "right wheels" are yet?
Me and some other members on this thread have revisited this multiple times, and it appears that the Arachnids are in fact the proper wheels and tires. The tires are certainly rated for it, as they are "(Y)" rated= rated for the vehicle's top speed in excess of 186 mph, and the wheels appear to be as well. In all of the Nurburgring shots and videos, only one picture I've seen so far has the ZeroG wheels, suggesting that Tesla is doing validation on track and likely on the Autobahn for both wheels.

That's a slightly misleading comment from your detailer. Good detailers I've spoken with locally always extend the precuts to ensure all edges are wrapped.
Fair point. I am sure some of it is to pad their labor costs for ”custom” work. I figure a good detailer can include an extra inch or so from the cut to wrap it around the edges for no seams.

And now, one week after going blank, I have a new estimated delivery date: Estimated Delivery: November 17 - December 07

i guess that's good news?

refresher: I originally ordered at about 6:50pm on September 22nd 2020, right when Elon announced the Plaid. One of the lowest RN's out there. If that delivery estimate holds, I will have waited about 1.2 years for the car. Unfortunately, i ordered the Bingo of problematic options - white interior, 19" wheels, carbon fiber trim.

To be fair, at that event, they stated estimated delivery was "late 2021". But then again they also said the range would be 520 miles. When they scrapped plans to use the 4680s, they bumped the timeline up from Q4 to Q2 2020, but the car lost 130 miles of range (180 miles in the 21" configuration). And from my perspective, since i'm waiting an additional 6 months more than other early buyers anyway, i really wish they hadn't cancelled the so-called "Plaid+" (which was really just the original plan for the Plaid) no matter how much longer it would have taken for production.

Nothing i can do about it of course, and it's still the best car on the planet, even if it is delivering late and well below the originally-promised range specs.
Ordered October, plaid plus originally, blank-feb-blank-nov-blank-dec given just today. W/w/cf/21. the drama continues

Yes, the Tesla parts catalog shows the 20" Zero-G wheel specs... likely part of the optional Track Package. ;)

1630693540984.png

1630693629214.png

Just got my car back last night from get PPF’d & tinted, will post more photos and details later today:

View attachment 704664
Looks great! Stealth PPF? I want stealth PPF but my wife is leaning toward vetoing. If these are stealth (and not a weird morning or dusk lighting effect), your pics may help my cause. Thanks in advance!

With proper winter performance tires the S will be on par with any SUV until clearance presents a challenge.
For sure, but the SUV is still great to have. If my 2017 SUV gets hit by some idiot driving in the snow with summer tires, I won't be mad. However, if someone hits my S, I'd flip considering any shop would probably take 4-6 months to repair.
Someone hit my P100D rear bumper at a stop light last year (minor damage) and the shop had my car for 2 1/2 months. No problem driving the S in cold weather but definitely not in the snow.

How would you describe this feeling/sounding? To me, when the tires aren't really well heated and I floor it, I describe this as a light shudder, or a slight vibration. Do you agree? I don't have any other plaids to compare to mine (until next week when the white one comes in) so I'm just trying to convince myself that mine is behaving correctly.

Thanks!
Very unscientific but it feels like the car is sitting on a wet bathing suite that is starting to "kick in". It just does this squirming thing on top of the tires that feels like a half speed orbital sander in your hand.

It is the type of feeling that perks me right up in just about anything with power as, just after this happens and it only happens for an instant, everything gets bad sideways of you do not have quick hands. Not the Tesla. It just keeps on doing it all the way through 100 mph while still going reasonably straight.

I have yet to figure out if it is my elbow pulling unevenly on the yoke or available grip that causes the car to yaw just a bit requiring correction. I think it is my arms not be anchored sufficiently.

Sorry for all the words and touchy feely descriptions. I do not have the vocabulary for something that you do not have to catch with counter steer.

I don't think that's true.

If you gently press the accelerator until you get to 60mph, versus flooring it until you get to 60mph, one takes more energy than the other (ignoring anything that may be recaptured by coasting to a stop). This is the same principal used by hyper-milers on ICE cars.

(Now I'm not so sure about this... ICE cars have to deal with efficiency bands due to their transmissions/gearing.)
The strange thing about the cars, starting with my first P85, was that it did not make much difference if I left lights slowly or, within reason, aggressively provided I never used the brake pedal. I do the exact same 60 mile drive five to six times a week. W-Hr/Mile was almost unaffected by aggressively leaving traffic lights.

I'm pretty sure it's the tires. The 21s (or the new Zero G 20s) with the ZR tires are probably good.
Maybe Tesla will allow 19" owners to unlock the extra speed if a SC installs Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires on their 19s.

Edit: or maybe there's a new tire that isn't out yet. I think ZR tires are rated for 186mph, not 200.

Last edited:
For anyone with the $4500 arachnids/summer tires looking for winter wheels/tires, I have these listed here. Not really interested in shipping. Located in central VA/90 mins south of DC area.

Unless you plan on going to the track, I can't see the Plaid being anything but a bragging right. The LR hits HARD till about 80 MPH. It's still quick at that speed, but punching it at 40 gives you butterflies in your stomach while at 80, not as much. In traffic, or passing another car, full throttle is only done for the fun of it. It's more power than needed to get around someone.

Last week an Audi RS 7 tried to blow by me when I was already doing 70. We got past 120 before slowing for traffic and he failed to pass me. The Plaid would come in handy if we continued past 150, because I believe the Audi can hit 190. So you have to ask yourself a few questions. Are you going to the track? Are you going to want to beat someone on a freeway going faster than 150MPH? Are you used to cars that do sub 3 second 0-60, so the LR just won't do it?

I really want a Plaid, but after driving the LR for a few weeks, I'm fairly certain the Plaid would either kill me, or just go to waste. If money is no object, and you really plan to use it, get the Plaid. If not, I doubt the LR will disappoint.
I don't have much experience with sub 3sec cars. But I did race F2000 cars and instructed for BMWCCA. I also owned a 911TT and a ZR1 (both equal or slower than the LR). I am a former racer. The Plaid would get used a bit. But since it does 0-100mph in 4.5sec, I won't be on the throttle for long before I'm in big trouble here. I will probably hit the drag strip once or twice a year just to annoy the ICE cars and stretch the car's leg a bit.

If I meet someone looking for a run on the highway, I might go at it. But again, get caught once and you're done.

Money is no object(ish), but 50k$Can in my pocket doesn't hurt either. Let's say I can afford it, but 50k$ is not nothing for me. I guess many here are in the same boat.

Definitely that if Tesla delays my car over Oct26, I might change my order.