Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point, re the possibility of actual track time testing!
Yeah exactly! This is a fairly one-sided thing, and is for the track right? So you don't need hundreds or thousands of employees testing it everywhere. They probably need to of course validate the UI, and the road and track behavior and tuning, but I don't believe there'd be too much to it outside of that. The bulk of development was likely completed at the Nürburgring already. So the testing period for final release may be much smaller.

Reactions: jebinc
Yeah exactly! This is a fairly one-sided thing, and is for the track right? So you don't need hundreds or thousands of employees testing it everywhere. They probably need to of course validate the UI, and the road and track behavior and tuning, but I don't believe there'd be too much to it outside of that. The bulk of development was likely completed at the Nürburgring already. So the testing period for final release may be much smaller.
And, it seems to be based on the .44 v11 branch, so they know those errors already - as it has been out for a week.

Interesting that they say it is for the Palladium which is the LR and Plaid (unlike Twitter Mark who said it was just Plaid). My LR will never see the track but it would be fun for us peasants to have it nonetheless.
If they do that, it would further devalue the flagship Plaid. There is little sub-Model differentiation as it is!

And, it seems to be based on the .44 v11 branch, so they know those errors already - as it has been out for a week.
Exactly! 100% this.
Interesting that they say it is for the Palladium which is the LR and Plaid (unlike Twitter Mark who said it was just Plaid). My LR will never see the track but it would be fun for us peasants to have it nonetheless.
Yeah I'm unsure in what sense they are using Palladium here, because as you say, Palladium was code for the refresh in totality. However, to temper expectations, I think they may mean Plaid in this case, as when Palladium was described (even though it was for MS in general), it was mostly referred to as a tri motor car with an entirely new interior and a new cooling system. Very little was known about the LR until Tesla announced it. :)

If they do that, it would further devalue the flagship Plaid. There is little sub-Model differentiation as it is!

You have contrast stitching on the seats - that is worth $20k of the difference. Also, why start now differentiating them much?

It would be a fun surprise to get it but would not be surprised if it passes the LR.

Yeah that would be kinda bad for the Plaid lol. In this case, I would look at what is included in the M3 line, as Tesla as a whole is forming their lineup to be really uniform, and the LR does get an acceleration boost option, but no track mode. I would think the same thing happens here.

Because Tesla likes the profit margin of the Plaid more than the LR?! Certainly fits their build profile of mostly Plaids!

I think Plaid owners got a little screwed with the car features being the same. If I paid for the Plaid I would want more upgrades (differentiators) than just the speed. Not going back down that rabbit hole of is it worth it - that is not my point - it is worth the extra money.

Tesla makes more profit on the Plaid. They have very little difference outside the motors - even for a while they had same wood trim. Plaid buyers reinforced Tesla behavior by changing to Plaid and paying the premium so they could get the car sooner.

There has been no pushback from Plaid owners on any of this so it would not be out of the question for them to put this software out across the board.

Well, it’s now the New Year in Eastern Europe, so….

A6B035D0-BCAB-4C02-90CD-288B699737A5.gif

Last edited:
So, how many Plaids to we think are out there that could potentially get this update? 40,000? I can see Tesla releasing this for no other reason than to boost Plaid sales. As we know, they seem to be building faster than people are taking them right now. Of course, that wasn’t the case a few months ago.
I don't see it as a thing to get sales. Not at all. I view this as Tesla finally getting around to providing what they always were going to. Very little people will know about this update unless they really follow Tesla, and heck they may not even notice the option to activate it!

I don't think 40k have been produced so far. I think total MS refresh numbers are probably just above 20,000 at this point, and I would think anywhere between 7,000 and 11,000 of those are Plaid. The lines are still ramping, so they have a little bit to go before they reach 100,000 annualized.

I don't see it as a thing to get sales. Not at all. I view this as Tesla finally getting around to providing what they always were going to. Very little people will know about this update unless they really follow Tesla, and heck they may not even notice the option to activate it!

I don't think 40k have been produced so far. I think total MS refresh numbers are probably just above 20,000 at this point, and I would think anywhere between 7,000 and 11,000 of those are Plaid. The lines are still ramping, so they have a little bit to go before they reach 100,000 annualized.
Well, it’s a publicly traded company, so there’s a constant and increasing pressure to grow exponentially. And, supply has caught up with demand for the Plaid, so…. they need to do something with the new MS and MX line to satisfy the Street and shareholders!

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Well, it’s a publicly traded company, so there’s a constant and increasing pressure to grow exponentially. And, supply has caught up with demand for the Plaid, so…. they need to do something with the new MS and MX line to satisfy the Street and shareholders!
Sure, but again, this is a very niche thing to do. So niche that there is no way it's for press or sales. If they really needed to get attention, they would bump the range or performance, or drop the price. That would get noticed. And yeah they've met demand for Plaid, but LR is still a while to go. It's not like they need to spur sales. Remember that just because they've met demand doesn't mean that demand slows down; it just indicates that production is going well. I personally doubt that they will ever have a "demand" problem for S and X. The growth in demand for EVs as a whole ensures that I think, along with all of the constant press with the Plaid.

And btw I was wrong on my numbers. Current reliable estimates have this quarter at ~24,500 S and X produced. So being conservative, and saying 20k for S production (which is quite low as X is likely not at 4500 produced; probably more like 2000-3000), that leaves 31,281 Model S made so far, using Q2 and Q3 numbers. So I would imagine there are between 11,000 and 16,000 Plaids out there right now. The ramp is actually progressing better than I previously remembered.

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes. Also, check the speedo.

They us Tesla timing. Originally, when it was known that they would be 295/30 in the rear, Michelin stated the A/S would be last July, then "Fall 20921", then November. I gave up and went to 20" where there are plenty of great A/S alternatives.
For anyone curious, had the PS4 all seasons installed today on the Arachnids. 265/35/21 front, 295/35/21 rear.

Ride quality is nice, no major difference there - responsiveness is solid and road feel is better (was a high of 40° today). Road noise is definitely present/louder - the A/S comes without the foam inside. BUT, not as bad as I expected - the audible difference isn't much. ARNR doesn't seem as useful with the A/S, but it's not loud enough to be upsetting. Still quieter than my last car that with 18s and 45 sidewalls. (@planetary - tagging you here to confirm the PS4 A/S do NOT come with the foam of the OEM PS4s).

Speedo is off by maybe 0.5% or less. During testing and with my wife driving next to me a constant 30, mine read 30; at 60, mine read 59, and at 70, mine read 68. Obviously very unscientific testing, but seems okay after about 10 miles of driving.

PXL_20211231_215615320.jpg

I don't recall either of us ever mentioning anything about any sausage that can't be missed...just sayin.
Not much… only the addition 350+ HP you Peacock owners feel when you mat it 🥴