Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get what you are saying old vs new. I am 50 years old, and that would have maybe made a difference to me when I was younger, and probably would have. However, in my experience new sometimes comes with heart ache and head ache. I still like shiny new things, but I am too old to battle with the shiny new thing if it doesnt work right. I am not saying that they wont come out of the box working awesomely, but usually changes come with problems in the initial runs.

I wasnt supposed to get mine until June anyway, but I got lucky and found a floor model exactly as i wanted with the 472 vin and now my delivery is set for March 11. I wouldnt cancel mine now and drop back to June/July just for that new tech. Faster zero-60 and longer range/ better batteries I would for sure. Better headlights? Particularly when you figure you dont drive near as much at night as you do in the day.

Too each his own though. Ill be happy for whichever I get. Oh yeah, the radar, if i do get the radar, and Tesla cant work this phantom braking out, I think I will be happy I ended up with that "older tech".

Happy forruming!
I get what you are saying. I am only 1 year younger. So I want things to just work as well. Let's be honest, the refresh S has been a work in progress for Tesla with many features not being rolled out (rear screen entertainment, energy graph, etc.). So if I just want it to work, I just get another Model Y. :). But the techno geek part of me is willing to suffer thru the growing pains on this.

If I already had my S, I will be slightly upset but still be happy as I can always get another car next year or 2 years from now. But if you are about to take delivery with this being rollout right now, why not get the latest?

I get what you are saying. I am only 1 year younger. So I want things to just work as well. Let's be honest, the refresh S has been a work in progress for Tesla with many features not being rolled out (rear screen entertainment, energy graph, etc.). So if I just want it to work, I just get another Model Y. :). But the techno geek part of me is willing to suffer thru the growing pains on this.

If I already had my S, I will be slightly upset but still be happy as I can always get another car next year or 2 years from now. But if you are about to take delivery with this being rollout right now, why not get the latest?
Differing thoughts on the same car is what makes the world go round. I am somewhat of a Tech geek myself, and new batteries, new chip in the on screen display for gaming, more power, gadgets that i can manipulate are more my thing. The lights dancing to the Christmas Easter egg will be cool, but it is not quiet enough to sway my delivery from March, to back into June/July. Being able to play call of duty in the car, would maybe sway my thoughts.

BTW Model Y and phantom braking are a real big issues right now. Also, they come with their fair share of issues still. None of the Teslas are free from that I believe. Seems to be luck of the draw.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Differing thoughts on the same car is what makes the world go round. I am somewhat of a Tech geek myself, and new batteries, new chip in the on screen display for gaming, more power, gadgets that i can manipulate are more my thing. The lights dancing to the Christmas Easter egg will be cool, but it is not quiet enough to sway my delivery from March, to back into June/July. Being able to play call of duty in the car, would maybe sway my thoughts.

BTW Model Y and phantom braking are a real big issues right now. Also, they come with their fair share of issues still. None of the Teslas are free from that I believe. Seems to be luck of the draw.
I dislike the auto high beam on my Y right now when in AP as it seems to kick on all the time blinding others. So I am looking forward to see how Tesla will implement Matrix lighting to accomplish the attach photo. I can care less about Christmas lighting too.

I think you made the right choice for you and that is all that matters.

MatrixHL2.png

Okay, in the interest of distracting from the headlight discussion a little longer, I'm on the verge of taking my car in to be wrapped. I wrapped my 3 when I first got it and LOVED how the car always looked freshly washed/waxed and how I didn't have to sweat parking in regular parking places.

The question is, do I go with regular XPEL Ultimate or do I go with XPEL Stealth and give my blue baby a matte treatment? On the one hand, the matte makes the car stand out, which I like, but I can see it maybe going out of style. Also, the regular XPEL Ultimate is about 30% thicker than the stealth and thus theoretically provides more protection against chipping than the stealth.

Thoughts? This is my inspiration photo: View attachment 775260
I would go with the thicker Ultimate. High gloss never goes out of style.

I get what you are saying old vs new. I am 50 years old, and that would have maybe made a difference to me when I was younger, and probably would have. However, in my experience new sometimes comes with heart ache and head ache. I still like shiny new things, but I am too old to battle with the shiny new thing if it doesnt work right. I am not saying that they wont come out of the box working awesomely, but usually changes come with problems in the initial runs.

I wasnt supposed to get mine until June anyway, but I got lucky and found a floor model exactly as i wanted with the 472 vin and now my delivery is set for March 11. I wouldnt cancel mine now and drop back to June/July just for that new tech. Faster zero-60 and longer range/ better batteries I would for sure. Better headlights? Particularly when you figure you dont drive near as much at night as you do in the day.

Too each his own though. Ill be happy for whichever I get. Oh yeah, the radar, if i do get the radar, and Tesla cant work this phantom braking out, I think I will be happy I ended up with that "older tech".

Happy forruming!
I tend to agree, and I'm in this exact same situation also. I could easily pass on my MSLR that I'm scheduled to pick up tomorrow (NF471, born on 2/9/22) in favor of waiting for the new lights. If I knew with certainty that I'd get one of the new cars within the next month, it would likely be worthwhile to wait (though my patience is growing thin after 8 months of waiting already).

I also like shiny new objects, and experience FOMO like most of us do at times. To me, though, the updates are a mixed bag of good and bad. The new headlights do look nice and I'm sure will provide more light output, so I'd welcome those. The new rear end (to me) is a downgrade from the current, more unique look. I understand why Tesla is trying to standardize the backs of their cars, but I like how the current S stands out from the 3 and Y, and it seems like a cost-cutting thing more than an improvement thing. The charge port (to me) is definitely a bit of a downgrade. I like the current light ring around the port vs the huge door with small Tesla symbol to light the way (that's exactly what my wife's Model Y has). Dropping the Radar hardware is a slight downgrade, I think, as the radar does provide a "backup plan" in case the Vision fails to improve the way Elon hopes it will.

So while I completely understand the philosophy that many forum members have (to pass on a current VIN in favor of a future VIN), I'm going to go ahead and pick my car up from KC tomorrow unless there are major problems with it.

I dislike the auto high beam on my Y right now when in AP as it seems to kick on all the time blinding others. So I am looking forward to see how Tesla will implement Matrix lighting to accomplish the attach photo. I can care less about Christmas lighting too.

I think you made the right choice for you and that is all that matters.

View attachment 775281
Well that seems to suggest the big benefit of the matrix LED's is to keep from blinding other people. I don't like other people, so no loss for me /s

I tend to agree, and I'm in this exact same situation also. I could easily pass on my MSLR that I'm scheduled to pick up tomorrow (NF471, born on 2/9/22) in favor of waiting for the new lights. If I knew with certainty that I'd get one of the new cars within the next month, it would likely be worthwhile to wait (though my patience is growing thin after 8 months of waiting already).

I also like shiny new objects, and experience FOMO like most of us do at times. To me, though, the updates are a mixed bag of good and bad. The new headlights do look nice and I'm sure will provide more light output, so I'd welcome those. The new rear end (to me) is a downgrade from the current, more unique look. I understand why Tesla is trying to standardize the backs of their cars, but I like how the current S stands out from the 3 and Y, and it seems like a cost-cutting thing more than an improvement thing. The charge port (to me) is definitely a bit of a downgrade. I like the current light ring around the port vs the huge door with small Tesla symbol to light the way (that's exactly what my wife's Model Y has). Dropping the Radar hardware is a slight downgrade, I think, as the radar does provide a "backup plan" in case the Vision fails to improve the way Elon hopes it will.

So while I completely understand the philosophy that many forum members have (to pass on a current VIN in favor of a future VIN), I'm going to go ahead and pick my car up from KC tomorrow unless there are major problems with it.
I am going to do the same thing on Friday the 11th. I agree with your all of you comments 100%. I prefer the previous back better as well as the charge part. I think my production date was February 12th. I am not sure that if my feet were held to the fire, given the option, that I wouldnt go with the radar over non radar. I have owned a Model 3 with the radar and a Model Y without. The 3 with radar was sooo much better! The phantom braking in the pure vision is very annoying. I read last week that the NADA has opened up an investigation over the reported phantom braking. I am sure as the software improves, the pure vision will get much better, but I also think that is going to take a couple of years, and who knows if i will even own this S at that time.

My SA responded indicating he was releasing my previous Vin (as requested).... But they also made the comment that "Vins are assigned based on order date and although this one is released, you could get another one soon".

First of all, that's just funny, if that were true, we would have people on this forum waiting for a year.... 🤣

But they said that because I had indicated I might not be available until the end of March for a pickup, so he was implying that I very likely would get another Vin before then.....

So thoughts, should I go ahead and ask for a 3 week hold just to be sure?

I hate to wait that long but really worried I am going to get matched to another old one....

My SA responded indicating he was releasing my previous Vin (as requested).... But they also made the comment that "Vins are assigned based on order date and although this one is released, you could get another one soon".

First of all, that's just funny, if that were true, we would have people on this forum waiting for a year.... 🤣

But they said that because I had indicated I might not be available until the end of March for a pickup, so he was implying that I very likely would get another Vin before then.....

I hate to wait that long but really worried I am going to get matched to another old one....
I would absolutely ask for a 3-4 week hold. You can always take it off hold sooner if you want.

Did your SA say for sure whether you were getting the old or new? My SA has not clue.