Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pushed out the same here… The window got larger and later. Big difference from when we originally ordered. That window was tight for the last week of December until December faded into memory.

Back when we ordered our first Model S you could tell Tesla this is when we would like to take delivery. And they did it. Ours arrived in Minnesota in an enclosed transport from Freemont in winter only a week or two after it was built. We have the pictures of it coming out of the transport. Those were different times for sure and volume being built was pretty small compared to now.
My order to Minnesota from 12/18 just got pushed out the same to 3/13-3/31. I really need to receive it this quarter. Not expecting that will happen now.

Ambient lighting can already be done. That’s a non issue. If the bumper camera is not housed inside the bumper (via a hole) but is adjacent to it, I can’t imagine not being able to retrofit it. Teslascope is saying it’s for low speed maneuvers and auto park with FSD functionality potentially coming in the future. With how limited non-USS cars are, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s offered as a retrofit since those with EAP and FSD w/o USS cannot use that feature and we’re approaching 18 months since the removal of that hardware has restricted functionality.

Ambient lighting can already be done. That’s a non issue. If the bumper camera is not housed inside the bumper (via a hole) but is adjacent to it, I can’t imagine not being able to retrofit it. Teslascope is saying it’s for low speed maneuvers and auto park with FSD functionality potentially coming in the future. With how limited non-USS cars are, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s offered as a retrofit since those with EAP and FSD w/o USS cannot use that feature and we’re approaching 18 months since the removal of that hardware has restricted functionality.
Im sure both will be possible to retrofit, but whether Tesla offers a retrofit will be another matter.

So I noticed Tesla updated the drive unit oil in tool box to "KAF1"

1709308796202.png

Looking through the Plaid EPA docs (LR still not uploaded), I noticed they list both "EDF2" (which I believe was the old fluid) and "KAF I"

1709308856932.png

2023 docs show only EDF2. The main difference with the new fluid appears to be that it is not quite as thick at extreme temperatures. It appears they've already been using KAF I in the 4DU drive units in the model 3 / y. I wonder if that's part of the 2024 efficiency changes. And if that actually has a tangible benefit to range, I wonder if that's something worth doing for the rest of us.

2021 and 2022 docs show Mobil1 Dexron VI as the fluid, which is thicker still at extreme temps (11500 cP @ -40), still roughly same at 100C. Trying to look up the 40C numbers to calculate the viscosity curves. Mobil1 Dexron VI is 29.5cP @ 40C. Can't find the numbers for EDF2 or KAF I just yet.

Reactions: coryjfowler
It’s absolute BS to make him eat the $250. they literally made him wait months, introduced and new feature set, and then now refuse to let him switch his order. It’s pretty ridiculous.
They haven’t technically announced Anything. He ordered the car configuration and was satisfied with said configuration at the time so why would this be ridiculous.

They haven’t technically announced Anything. He ordered the car configuration and was satisfied with said configuration at the time so why would this be ridiculous.
Can argue both sides. Tesla saying that your estimated delivery is December 2023 then still stringing you along in March 2024 is not really the configuration you signed up for. It's one thing if they were keeping the timelines and expecting you to accept that configuration, it's another thing when you expect people to accept that older configuration a quarter-plus after you ordered. Especially since Tesla does not do traditional model years and adds features as they come available.

Because he didn’t receive the product. The transaction hasn’t occurred. He was satisfied at the time. Times change. He hasn’t taken possession of the car. This isn’t buyer’s remorse. He placed an order fee for the “privilege” of buying a car they incessantly delayed. If they had fulfilled his order in a timely manner, instead of pushing the window months, we’d have a “regret” issue. Tesla is in the wrong on all accounts. I’m not sure why this isn’t clear.

Because he didn’t receive the product. The transaction hasn’t occurred. He was satisfied at the time. Times change. He hasn’t taken possession of the car. This isn’t buyer’s remorse. He placed an order fee for the “privilege” of buying a car they incessantly delayed. If they had fulfilled his order in a timely manner, instead of pushing the window months, we’d have a “regret” issue. Tesla is in the wrong on all accounts. I’m not sure why this isn’t clear.
The difference is, Tesla is intentionally vague on what the car you receive actually has. I can't stand car dealerships, but at least the window sticker tells you all of the specific options for the car you are purchasing. Tesla can just make a change and say "its better now" and you're either taking it or losing your deposit.

The difference is, Tesla is intentionally vague on what the car you receive actually has. I can't stand car dealerships, but at least the window sticker tells you all of the specific options for the car you are purchasing. Tesla can just make a change and say "its better now" and you're either taking it or losing your deposit.
This is another great point. The fact they they’ve gotten away with false advertising for years is a problem. See recent steam lies, horn hardware in existing yokes/wheels, etc…

So I noticed Tesla updated the drive unit oil in tool box to "KAF1"

View attachment 1023578

Looking through the Plaid EPA docs (LR still not uploaded), I noticed they list both "EDF2" (which I believe was the old fluid) and "KAF I"

View attachment 1023579

2023 docs show only EDF2. The main difference with the new fluid appears to be that it is not quite as thick at extreme temperatures. It appears they've already been using KAF I in the 4DU drive units in the model 3 / y. I wonder if that's part of the 2024 efficiency changes. And if that actually has a tangible benefit to range, I wonder if that's something worth doing for the rest of us.

2021 and 2022 docs show Mobil1 Dexron VI as the fluid, which is thicker still at extreme temps (11500 cP @ -40), still roughly same at 100C. Trying to look up the 40C numbers to calculate the viscosity curves. Mobil1 Dexron VI is 29.5cP @ 40C. Can't find the numbers for EDF2 or KAF I just yet.
Actually, that's really interesting. I wonder if the new fluid will reduce the start-up vibration! Does it say if the 2024 Plaid has the new KAF I fluid?

• Informative
Reactions: Yelobird
Yeah, the problem is communication. They don’t do model years like other manufacturers so it’s not obvious what each car has. I own a Model 3 and a Model S so I’ve gotten used to how Tesla is.

My problem now is that they have these arbitrary dates for FSD/USC transfers. It’s unclear if I cancel now and reorder if I will get a refreshed version or not and if they’ll transfer FSD if my delivery extends into April. It’s difficult to know what you’ll get

Yeah, the problem is communication. They don’t do model years like other manufacturers so it’s not obvious what each car has. I own a Model 3 and a Model S so I’ve gotten used to how Tesla is.

My problem now is that they have these arbitrary dates for FSD/USC transfers. It’s unclear if I cancel now and reorder if I will get a refreshed version or not and if they’ll transfer FSD if my delivery extends into April. It’s difficult to know what you’ll get
Very true. I bought my first Tesla in 2012. Back then, and for a few years since, Tesla was a customer-centric company. They were friendly, communicative and flexible. I remember them happily delaying my 2016 Model X order for over 6 months so that I could get a car with upgraded hardware. Not so much anymore. A lot has changed since then. Nowadays, we buy Teslas IN SPITE of their clownish “customer service.” Every order is a roll of the dice. Unfortunately, that comes with the territory now.

My MSLR with FUSC transfer is scheduled for Monday. I will probably bite the bullet, take delivery, and live with the FOMO. There will always be something…