Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 7 day window in order confirmation is coming closer and closer and I am getting confused on the wheels. Currently, I have the standard wheels and decided to opt out of the charcoal wheels as they are 4.5k extra- I want them but then think is that worth the money?? Love the way they look, keep dreaming about it etc. should I upgrade? Any one have the new white with those wheels who can post pictures for me to see??? If I did upgrade will my range get even less? I am 210 right now based on the sticker but we all know that's the max avg will be less than 200miles on full charge.

We are 50-50 right now - upgrade the wheels or not - would love to see the white with the charcoal wheels before I update my order
I had the same debate when I ordered. I eventually stuck with the stock wheels and plan to go with 19" aftermarket wheels from Tsportline (TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5 - T Sportline). I just haven't decided if I want to move the factory tires to the new rims, or buy a new set. I suspect I'll buy another set. But, unfortunately, I have some time to think about it...lol

Good news... I saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico.

Oh, and I took delivery on Tuesday. The car is awesome and I spent my first hour and a half in the most relaxing rush hour ever. I spend my time either driving like Miss Daisy on autopilot or like Mario Andretti. I'm sure I'll settle down in a few weeks.

Unfortunately, I had to expose it to a horrible Chicago storm on Wednesday night, but luckily there was no hail.

I was a little underwhelmed with the delivery experience (no swag, car was not charged, DS pawned me off to a Jr resource, etc). Likely just has to do with it being a quarter end and I'm not losing sign of the big picture (new car!).

The only bad thing is my wall charger died after two charges, so I'm writing this from the local supercharger.

First, congrats on the new MS! :)

Second, what happened to your WC?! Is it one of the new ones? I hope it was covered under warranty. I only ask as I just installed a new WC and have not yet taken delivery. I tested it out on a loaner MS (only charged once for a couple of hours) and all seemed well, but now....

Thanks! How exciting! You will probably be the very few in HK that will have the redesign since you are getting it so soon! Have you even seen any redesign on the road?

None on the road yet!

Yea will be really cool as I will be the only few facelifts here.

Annoying tho my delivery will be a "quick and hectic" one as my DS warned due the large number of deliveries that day

Not sure how many deliveries will be facelift! Will find out.

I believe the charcoal wheels are 21 inch. You will probably have to get some 19 inch wheels for winter driving as the tires that come with the 21 inch wheels are summer only. The 21 inch tires also wear out much faster than the 19 inch.

Personally I go for lowest maintenance hassle and highest convenience first and aesthetics are nice but secondary. But that's just me.

Your call though.
Go with the 19's if late you feel you want 21 go with these they cost a fraction and weigh about the same as Teslas 21's
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...toModel=Model+S&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=90D

Took delivery today, was rear ended 15 minutes later :mad:

View attachment 182659

The crew at the SvC was great, they had a loaner ready when I brought the car back. Hope there is no structural damage and they can fix it.
Just going to say to all of you to watch your rear view mirror. Our amazing cars do great for us, but all those looking at our beauties and daydreaming of owning one someday, make them forget to apply their breaks. It just makes them stupid and you can't fix stupid. I am always watching the driver behind not paying attention and texting or taking a pic and I have to swerve into the other lane to keep them from hitting me. I can't wait until all th other cars become Teslas so we are protected.

Well today was the day and the car is everything I hoped it would be.

My first stop after I picked it up was to show it to my grandmother. This is a lady who was born in the height of the Great Depression and spent her childhood in a house without plumbing or electricity, other than a radio hooked up to a car battery. I think she was more excited than I was. She said many times that she never thought she'd ride in an electric car. The autopilot certainly impressed as well.

Good luck to everyone else on their wait!

Great story! It's Unreal how relaxing it is to cruise around town with AP. I almost don't mind following speed limit...

P.S. Granny is going to see Elon put people on Mars soon as well!

TJ

-----------------------------------------
Referral | Tesla Motors $1000 referral. The M5 and Leaf had a love child!

• Love
Reactions: benemac
My 7 day window in order confirmation is coming closer and closer and I am getting confused on the wheels. Currently, I have the standard wheels and decided to opt out of the charcoal wheels as they are 4.5k extra- I want them but then think is that worth the money?? Love the way they look, keep dreaming about it etc. should I upgrade? Any one have the new white with those wheels who can post pictures for me to see??? If I did upgrade will my range get even less? I am 210 right now based on the sticker but we all know that's the max avg will be less than 200miles on full charge.

We are 50-50 right now - upgrade the wheels or not - would love to see the white with the charcoal wheels before I update my order

I ordered with the standard 19" slipstreams with the intent of doing 20" TSTs (in gray or black). I stumbled across a set of new Tesla OEM 21" turbines in gray (with new ContiSpor 5s, TPMS, mounted/balanced) for a little less than what I would have paid for the TSTs/Tires/TPMS/Mounting, etc. I really did not want 21's due to ride/noise/wear concerns. But that deal was tough to pass up. (Plus these 21s are square setup so I can at least rotate them.)

I think either way you are probably better off ordering with 19's and then going aftermarket (or second-hand OEM) after the fact. I would have spent $4500 to get just the 21s (staggered). For way less than that I got full OEM setups of both the silver 19s and the gray 21s with wheels/tires/tpms.

My vote for anyone would be to go a similar route. I think the 19 or 20in TSTs would be most people's best bet as long as you're not looking for the weight savings/strength (and extra cost) of forged. But I know there are a lot of other good aftermarket wheels out there. I wanted as close to OEM look as possible.

Btw, IMO the gray (OEM or TST) look AWESOME on the white. So awesome I almost changed my order from Midnight Silver to White after seeing how great that combo looks.

Picked up my S60 this morning from the factory and had a great tour with only one other group. The car is fantastic, but after only three hours I'm off to the airport for a quick trip. I'm counting down the hours to drive again.

I put a picture of the charging display. It seems to show 100% of the 60 vs stopping you at some % of the 75 battery. The rest is hidden :).

I'll post some better pictures once I remove the front license plate holder.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 91
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 87
Picked up my S60 this morning from the factory and had a great tour with only one other group. The car is fantastic, but after only three hours I'm off to the airport for a quick trip. I'm counting down the hours to drive again.

I put a picture of the charging display. It seems to show 100% of the 60 vs stopping you at some % of the 75 battery. The rest is hidden :).

I'll post some better pictures once I remove the front license plate holder.
How was the tour? Place must be busy during this end of quarter period !

Reactions: benemac
Great story! It's Unreal how relaxing it is to cruise around town with AP. I almost don't mind following speed limit...

You can set the default speed for AP in the settings. On pick up they told me the setting was how far over the speed limit it would start warning me I'm going too fast. It defaults to 0, but I think you can set it for up to 20+ over. It hasn't warned me yet I'm going too fast, but it does appear to be the default setting for the AP. I set it for 5 over and if I'm less than 5 over the speed limit when I set AP, it will try to drive 5 over if conditions allow. Of course it will drive slower if there is traffic. If I set AP when going faster than 5 over, it tries to maintain that speed, whatever it is.

On the tires, there are always tires set coming up on EBay and if you live in an area with a number of Teslas, there are probably some on Craigslist too as well as the ad section here on this forum. In a few months Ebay will be full of 21 inch Arachnid wheels and you can probably get them cheap.

You can set the default speed for AP in the settings. On pick up they told me the setting was how far over the speed limit it would start warning me I'm going too fast. It defaults to 0, but I think you can set it for up to 20+ over. It hasn't warned me yet I'm going too fast, but it does appear to be the default setting for the AP. I set it for 5 over and if I'm less than 5 over the speed limit when I set AP, it will try to drive 5 over if conditions allow. Of course it will drive slower if there is traffic. If I set AP when going faster than 5 over, it tries to maintain that speed, whatever it is.

On the tires, there are always tires set coming up on EBay and if you live in an area with a number of Teslas, there are probably some on Craigslist too as well as the ad section here on this forum. In a few months Ebay will be full of 21 inch Arachnid wheels and you can probably get them cheap.

That setting is only warning I believe and doesn't impact AP -- I sense the AP setting that shows up on the dash is usually close to the X0 or X5 near the speed I am going when activating AP.

I just set the chime at 9 miles relative to speed limit just to catch my lead foot...

That setting is only warning I believe and doesn't impact AP -- I sense the AP setting that shows up on the dash is usually close to the X0 or X5 near the speed I am going when activating AP.

I just set the chime at 9 miles relative to speed limit just to catch my lead foot...

They say that, but when I set AP, it sets to a target speed equal to that setting. I haven't had it warn me I was going too fast once.

First, congrats on the new MS! :)

Second, what happened to your WC?! Is it one of the new ones? I hope it was covered under warranty. I only ask as I just installed a new WC and have not yet taken delivery. I tested it out on a loaner MS (only charged once for a couple of hours) and all seemed well, but now....

Electrician is coming tomorrow to check it out so not sure what's wrong yet. The unit was under warranty and SC already gave me a new one.

Anyone have pics of a new silver metallic with tan next gen seats? I went back and forth on color three times before committing on the silver metallic and now I'm having a panic attack that it won't look good.

And I'm nervous about the tan next gen seat color. The website makes them look orange and the sales rep assured me they were much lighter than the picture... i hope he's right.

Brian

Now I may be wrong but often-time the AP miles over setting also comes into play as an added MPH when TACC is first used. For instance, if you are on a 60 MPH highway, and the S knows that and is showing a 60 MPH speed limit sign (small) and you pull once back on the TACC/AP stalk, then TACC will set its upper speed to 69 if you had specified the 9 MPH speed to limit. You can then slightly push the TACC stalk down to reduce by 1 MPH or push up slightly to increase by 1 MPH. Now, if you really push down or up you will increase or decrease the TACC upper speed by 5 MPH. This is one aspect you will have to learn the "feel" for.

As you are driving in that session, TACC remembers your last speed setting.... (you can see it shown it the little speedo in the cluster) so if you touch your brake pedal or turn TACC off, then in that session if you turn it on it will return to the previous speed setting (even if you now are on a much slower speed road). Be aware of this.

Many feel that the TACC should be using the "noticed" speed limit plus the adder to set the upper speed limit at all times. But at present, I have not seen it do that.

This all said, TACC is the best for me on long trips and in heavy stop and go traffic. At present its only downfall is the abrupt, at times, slow down when you are in the right hand lane and the car in front of you is taking the exit ramp to the right. However, if you can anticipate this behavior, a gentle application of power to the accelerator pedal will overcome the slowdown and keep you running smoothly.

BTW, I am very happy all of you are getting your cars, and please update the spreadsheets with your data. I keep track of VIN numbers assigned by quarter and it looks like this second quarter of 2016 is the third largest VIN assignment quarter since we have kept track here on TMC. The largest quarter was Q2 2015 with about 15,700, second was Q3 2015 with about 14,900 and this quarter is looking good for third place at 14,500 (estimate). So Model S builds and demand is keeping up with over 150,000 examples on the roadways world-wide!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TJ&TheBeast