Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking up my Midnight Silver MS 90D this week, just waiting for confirmation from delivery contact for exact day/time. Home charging setup is ready to go. My 2014 leased MB CLS550 is ready to be turned back in to the dealer, hopefully without any issue.

Any tips or things I should plan ahead for when taking delivery from the Costa Mesa, CA delivery center? I plan to call an Uber to drop me off there, will bring my camera...... anything else worth planning for?

My car has been delayed twice. The final lead time will be 50% greater than initially promised. 4.5 months from order and counting. I'm very disappointed and will pass on this to prospective buyers I know. There are no apologies or sweeteners just the occasional call to spend more on a new features. The last being a 5kw upgrade for 5k. I'm in Australia, perhaps that has something to do with it. I wouldn't get away with this in my industry.

If I order a car in July, and take delivery in -say- October- Will the car be outfitted with July hardware of with Oct hardware?

[sorry of this has been asked before -theres 12,000 posts to paw through]

With whatever is standard at the time of production, more than likely September in your case. It is highly unlikely there will be any price increases so you might as well wait till September to order

If I order a car in July, and take delivery in -say- October- Will the car be outfitted with July hardware of with Oct hardware?

[sorry of this has been asked before -theres 12,000 posts to paw through]

You will get whatever the spec is for the car when it's built. If there is a price increase, you may or may not have to pay it. I have seen people say sometimes Tesla waives the increase, other times they have to pay it. The people who ordered just before the April refresh got the pre-refresh price. If there is some new option, they now allow you to add it for the Design Studio price with no change fee. Normally after you have been confirmed, your car is locked in and any changes cost $500.

But everything you get will be based on what is available when your car goes into production.

Picking up my Midnight Silver MS 90D this week, just waiting for confirmation from delivery contact for exact day/time. Home charging setup is ready to go. My 2014 leased MB CLS550 is ready to be turned back in to the dealer, hopefully without any issue.

Any tips or things I should plan ahead for when taking delivery from the Costa Mesa, CA delivery center? I plan to call an Uber to drop me off there, will bring my camera...... anything else worth planning for?

Sounds like you have everything set. Enjoy your delivery and we look forward to seeing the pictures.

I will be picking mine up at the same service center about a month from now. Please let me know about your experience if you can remember too!

Whats the delivery estimates for east cost people who got confirmed last Sunday anyone in production yet?

whats the date they are working? Is it FIFO? or its based on cash, FIFO and east

Not FIFO, but SIRO (Serial In Random Out)

Spreadsheet shows someone in North Carolina ordering a 60D - confirmed 6/26, Vin #1497xx 6/27, Enter Production 6/30. This is self-reporting and he may have thought "Entered Production Queue" meant "really production" and mis-reported. Another #1493xx also entered production 6/30 (after 6/24 confirm/vin#) - however again, could be mis-reading the status.

edit at 1:18pm EDT
Another one just added today: confirm 6/21, vin 148xxx on 6/22 and 6/30 production date.

So, they are catching up pretty fast, especially at the 2000/week rate.

Last edited:
The longest duration seems to be going from VIN to In Production. Took me about 3 weeks.
Those who ordered "The D" back when P85D and 85D were introduced Oct 11, 2014, went as long as 4-5 months from Vin # to Production date (since 85D was delayed until P85D was produced in large volume. Also, we've seen Hong Kong buyers get a vin# in March and enter production in June in past years.