Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am really annoyed.

I placed my order in Sydney and it was confirmed on the 7th of April. My order is not yet in production.

Why are some people getting production slots in a one month or less and I'm still waiting 3 months later??

Can someone from Tesla Head office look into my order - you seem to be prioritising one country over another. I've talked to the local office but 'trouble with a head light supplier ' would hold up everyone's orders so I'm suspecting that something else is up..

I'm looking at 5-6 months lead time after being told 3 months. Heading for double an already very long lead time. Having worked in manufacturing during my career, that is subpar performance.

Finally, I drank the koolaid and for the first time in 30 years I bought a car made in the USA. I was pleased to be doing so on many levels, it felt that Tesla were the new future of manufacturing growth in the USA. This experience has turned me from an advocate to a grouch. I'm hoping the final delivery will rectify my feelings.

Obligatory pic with the miss and the mistress which is which , JK lol found some minor issues, paint was good but divot on 17 aluminum surround and hood alignment. Both marked and I will get it taken care of someday no hurry

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 64
On a new car?! Divot and hood alignment. That does not sound right. Or is this a CPO?
Its new, I attached a pic. Things happen not that big of a deal. Nothing major was wrong, no paint swirls or nonfunctioning parts. I understand some who have purchased a model S have come from more mundane vehicles such as a Prius and then jumped to a 100k car, but the truth is that cars produced in lower quantities tend to have more issues. The key is for the company to stand by their product and fix them and I have no reason to believe Tesla won't. Purchasers must be realistic that even though the model S is not an affordable vehicle for the majority it isn't a quarter million British hand assembled car which is under QA for a couple days.

Reactions: Mr So Chill
Dang that is fast! Good to know that once it enters production (i'm still waiting to be notified with order confirmed on 6/27) it can be received quickly thereafter at the factory!

Did you receive notification of production and pick up time via email or My Tesla?

I received one email notification (from Tesla not DS) a day after I saw the status changed in MyTesla (from production to queue to entered production). From there, I checked everyday and emailed the DS as soon as I saw the status changed to production complete. DS was surprised I knew before him. I also applied for loan as soon as I saw production completed and told DS I'm ready to pick ASAP.

Not the most difficult but definitely required some self service actions to push to the finish line, especially if you don't have patience like me.

I am really annoyed.

I placed my order in Sydney and it was confirmed on the 7th of April. My order is not yet in production.

Why are some people getting production slots in a one month or less and I'm still waiting 3 months later??

Roughly in the same situation (only Melbourne). There was talk that RHD models were going to be produced in date order after an upgrade at the factory that made it possible to mix RHD and LHD on the same line but I'd say that might not yet be the case and they're still working towards that upgrade. Or perhaps it really is a shortage of RHD headlights (or some other part that has a RHD variant). I'm on day 51 after confirmation, still not in production. Checking the spreadsheet some RHD orders have taken up to ~90 days to enter production after confirmation. I have been shipped my HPWC though, so I know I haven't been forgotten :)

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Cnasty had asked for some description of the delivery process in Dallas. My car was delivered yesterday and the process was very smooth and informative. Our car has Air suspension and Auto Pilot so I would imagine that the time to go through the features would be less on car not equipped this way. My wife and father both attended the delivery and so with questions and comments from 3 people the total time from walking into the showroom (15 minutes early) to driving away was approximately 1.5 hours.

The car is wonderful! It rides and drives nicer than any car I can remember driving. My wife finally got her turn to drive after we were closer to home and out of rush hour traffic, I don't think she has quit smiling yet. The air suspension has been used on at least three driveways already and works like a charm.

The above said I have already had an issue, it appears that my travel charger is DOA. After arriving home (I gave friends rides first) we unloaded the car and got out the charger. I plugged into my NEMA 14-50 and immediately saw 247-9v. However after several minutes of saying that charging would start shortly the car issued a "check charge cable" warning. I then found an extension cord and tried a NEMA 5-15 plug (all the garage ones are GFI) and got the same thing, 127v +/- no amps and a cable check warning. I called 24 hour tech support and they walked me through a hard restart of the car but that didn't solve the problem. We determined that the cable must be faulty. Everything is scheduled for me to pickup a new cable in Dallas today. Tech support suggested that the car will also be connected and some diagnostics run while we are back in Dallas.

Moral of the story: During the delivery walk through and setup process they like to keep the car plugged in to make sure you have good full range upon departure. I suggest that this would be an excellent time to test your travel charger before heading home.

Now for the eye candy!

I hope all of you get your cars quickly and have many safe and happy miles driving them.

This is to Update and rule out all previous comments about charging my car. It is not the car, turns out my house does not have steady enough voltage. Both my 110 and 220 plugs in the garage fluctuate (the whole house actually) 5-10 volt in a handful of seconds. An electrician and possibly the power company will have to fix the issue. Good news is that Tesla has built cars smart enough to not overload a bad circuit and burn your house or car.

Fantastic feedback and your tip will definitely let me check it before we leave.

Any red bow??? ;)

Is that black or blue? Looks beautiful. I'll be getting the black.

Thank you, it is Deep Blue. No bow but a red one would have looked nice. :)

Also I just posted a note about the charging, short version it is a voltage fluctuation in my house wiring. So the car is good to go and so is the cable.

I ran some averages from the spreadsheet and it appears that in Q2 and Q3 of this year, the average delivery, in the US, was about 10 - 11 days (unless I did something wrong) after the production end date (born-on date). But my DS says expect 30 days after born-on. Who's right? I ordered the MS P90D and got confirmation on 7/2 and the estimated born-on is 7/18, but mytesla says august-early Sept.

I ran some averages from the spreadsheet and it appears that in Q2 and Q3 of this year, the average delivery, in the US, was about 10 - 11 days (unless I did something wrong) after the production end date (born-on date). But my DS says expect 30 days after born-on. Who's right? I ordered the MS P90D and got confirmation on 7/2 and the estimated born-on is 7/18, but mytesla says august-early Sept.

I think that if you exclude cars that are picked up from the factory in Fremont, the production end to delivery time is probably closer to 30 days than 10. If you are picking up from the factory, you can usually get it in a couple of days. Probably all of the deliveries in California are sent by truck, so they have a sub-2 week delivery time. But if you are in the midwest, south, or east coast, the travel time adds significantly to that time.

Reactions: Austral