Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Look over your car very closely when picking up. I picked mine up from the factory on Thursday, and I noticed weather stripping not completely in place and asked about it, and was told "oh, that's normal." Assuming the person giving me the keys knows more about what's normal or not, I dismissed it. It's super busy at the factory right now, so you're kind of shuffled through in a group to get your car. I drove off without testing things or looking at details. I was kind of excited to finally get my car! :)

The first time put the car into drive after having it parked, the driver side mirror opened half way. The 2nd time I drove it, it actually fell off. Neither mirror angles down when going into reverse. This was a pretty frustrating experience, so when I got home I gave it a really good look-over and noticed quite a lot of inconsistencies in the lines of the car where various panels or lights come together. There was a scratch in the trunk plastic, and a small window ding/chip in the windshield.

I suppose I don't know what is "normal" for Tesla, but coming from BMW, the lines and material stitching are nowhere near as clean. My guess is that the factory is under pressure to push cars out by the end of the year, and it's showing in the product.

I was able to get the car into a service center today, and was told by the service center that they usually have 20 service technicians, but right now they only have about 9 because the Fremont factory has taken the others. My guess is to fix the glitches.

That in my opinion is Totally unacceptable as you paid for a car without flaws, not 'Oh, that's normal'. I'd say that's nothing short of BS if you hand me a car I just paid $160k for. As you had said, coming from German engineering and German quality, you should be expecting nothing less. My 2nd P100D will be picked up on Thursday and it had better not have these issues, not one of them. When I took delivery of my first P100D which was at the end of September this year it had one flaw. One of the trim pieces were misaligned. Again, being that I work on my and customers high end cars, it was acceptable as it took less than 5 minutes to correct. Photo above of my last car with modifications.

I too have owned everything from the Mercedes GTS to BMW 5 series, Audi RS6, and run a company that deals with exotics on a regular basis. I understand that things happen when being transported but not directly from the production line. That's just unacceptable and Tesla's quality control needs to tighten up if this is a common occurrence. Just my 2 cents but I know that I'm not alone with these thoughts.

Last edited:
Congrats!! I talked to my DS there today and found out I get to pick up mine on the 17th!

I could have gotten it on the 16th but unable to because my wife has to work and wants to be there with me. :p

Not looking forward to getting it though right smack dab in the middle of this huge snow storm that's predicted to start this Friday here in Minneapolis.

Told my wife, "I'll be able to go 0 to snow bank in 2.5 seconds!" :D

@Holmes Today's the 17th. Did you receive it? Snow and all? Post a pic!

Nice color! I have the same on the way. FWIW I got notification from My Tesla that my that my car was in production on 12-14-2016. I just got the email today, three days later.

Regarding notification, I also got the e-mail Friday night 2 days after mine went into production on Wed the 14th. And I still haven't heard from the DS. I e-mailed him Friday and haven't received a response.

View attachment 206329

That in my opinion is Totally unacceptable as you paid for a car without flaws, not 'Oh, that's normal'. I'd say that's nothing short of BS if you hand me a car I just paid $160k for. As you had said, coming from German engineering and German quality, you should be expecting nothing less. My 2nd P100D will be picked up on Thursday and it had better not have these issues, not one of them. When I took delivery of my first P100D which was at the end of September this year it had one flaw. One of the trim pieces were misaligned. Again, being that I work on my and customers high end cars, it was acceptable as it took less than 5 minutes to correct. Photo above of my last car with modifications.

I too have owned everything from the Mercedes GTS to BMW 5 series, Audi RS6, and run a company that deals with exotics on a regular basis. I understand that things happen when being transported but not directly from the production line. That's just unacceptable and Tesla's quality control needs to tighten up if this is a common occurrence. Just my 2 cents but I know that I'm not alone with these thoughts.
My delivery was great. Car is awesome so far. But I noticed a similar issue today. My drivers side mirror does not fold in all the way and seems loose. I plan to get in touch with my DS and service tomorrow. There was also a decent scratch in the paint on the drivers side when you open the door. It's hidden otherwise, but I intend to have them fix it anyways.

It's finally here! My long-awaited P100D. Deep Blue Metallic with Ultra White interior! I live on a hill, and some roads are still somewhat snow/ice covered here in Portland, so I was worried about the drive home with the 21s, but I made it! Since I currently have no traction with the summer tires, the car has been sitting undriven in the garage, but it is supposed to warm up later today/tomorow. So happy!!! :D

Model S.jpg

My delivery was great. Car is awesome so far. But I noticed a similar issue today. My drivers side mirror does not fold in all the way and seems loose. I plan to get in touch with my DS and service tomorrow. There was also a decent scratch in the paint on the drivers side when you open the door. It's hidden otherwise, but I intend to have them fix it anyways.
I've had my car for 24 hours now and I have too noticed a few things. First, the left side mirror sometimes only folds in half way, especially when in reverse. The trunk wouldn't close, kept beeping three times so I finally had to just shut it by hand. The steering wheel appears to not be fully aligned. I'm going to keep an eye on these three items as the first two have gone away for now. For the steering wheel, I'll need to drive it on some different roads to see if its just my neighborhood that has crooked streets.

• Informative
Reactions: Mach Schnell!
It's finally here! My long-awaited P100D. Deep Blue Metallic with Ultra White interior! I live on a hill, and some roads are still somewhat snow/ice covered here in Portland, so I was worried about the drive home with the 21s, but I made it! Since I currently have no traction with the summer tires, the car has been sitting undriven in the garage, but it is supposed to warm up later today/tomorow. So happy!!! :D

View attachment 206448
Beautiful car, nice setting in the snow. Sounds like you need a second set of smaller diameter wheels with snow tires mounted.

Beautiful car, nice setting in the snow. Sounds like you need a second set of smaller diameter wheels with snow tires mounted.

Thanks for the compliment! And I hope you get your car soon!

I have a set of non-staggered 20-inch grey T Sportline rims with all-seasons on order. Will plan to put those on when they arrive and put the 21s back on in March or April.

Reactions: Mach Schnell!