Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take on this is that we could all drive ourselves nuts trying to figure out which arts are in short supply or we could accept that cars are going to be batched in some way that we'll never be able to divine but that probably makes sense or is a result of pretty mundane factors. I'm just going to sit back and revel in the idea that Tesla has managed to ramp up production.
Completely agree, but ... where's the fun in that? :biggrin: Isn't TMC how we "pace the floor" while waiting for our delivery? We're all just doing the equivalent of Monday-morning quarterbacking -- at least, I am.

This is probably pretty obvious by now, but clearly Tesla took the opportunity to crank out as many GP cars that they could, using whatever configs they could complete with available supply. They held these back while the last of the Sigs were delivered, and then opened the floodgates on the backlog. So at least temporarily there was something blocking certain configs, whether it was Perf, CF, 21" wheels, Grey 21s, whatever. That may already be behind us for all we know, and they may be back to producing these cars. The next shift in production batching may be due to an on-hand shortage of Tan Leather, or Obeche Gloss, you name it. Tesla will set these vehicles aside, and shift production accordingly. Same thing when 60kWh comes online. They are doing absolutely the right thing from a manufacturing standpoint, by maximizing production capacity on what they can build...Just-in-Time manufacturing is a tricky bugger, especially with new products and suppliers. But this will definitely yield what appears to us a haphazard delivery order. Add in batching for geographic location delivery, and it gets even uglier!

Received an email from Kyle at Tesla as we were driving north from Arizona to our home in Napa, CA. He indicated that our P-83 was ready when we were, even later that day. After some quick calculations I told him we could be in Fremont by 5 PM. We rolled in about exactly that, and there were our four shepards waiting at the front door, Kyle Thompson, John Stocklin, and Jon the DS. What hands on treatment! After the paperwork was done, and the check signed, we were off for our introduction. The next hour+ was like drinking from a firehose! Thought I knew everything, from reading here, watching Cinergi's videos, and reading the manual. Well, I sorta did, but when released to the wilds, it all became a bit jumbled. To compound matters, it was pitch black out, pouring rain, at the height of rush hour. And just to make sure I stayed on my toes, the address to my house in Napa, had somehow morphed into the same street and number in Portola Valley, the opposite direction of Napa. I realized this as I was merging into gridlock on the 880, and decided to pull off at the next exit to sort things out. By now my dutiful wife, following behind (or so I thought) continued on up 880. I pulled off the interstate and parked along the side of the road at the same instant that the firehouse across the street decided to disgorge all their equipment sirens and lights going full blast. Finally I was able to get the Nav going to the correct address, and proceeded to cross over to 680. My wife, of course, is proceeding up 880 thinking she was on 680 (directions and GPS are not her strong suit!) In any event after a miserable commute in pouring rain, I finally reached some open road where I could use the CC. Remember, I'm now into my 15th hour of driving. Finally I was able to stretch the S's legs a bit. WOW. Not exactly sure what I would do with the Perf version. What a rocket. So home now, and quickly to bed. My wife managed to make it 10 minutes before me. Go figure!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and P-83 was delivered with 24 miles on it! And my Vin is 1571 for you scorekeepers out there.

My S.JPG

Last edited:
....we could all drive ourselves nuts trying to figure out which parts are in short supply or we could accept that cars are going to be batched in some way that we'll never be able to divine but that probably makes sense...

Insanity. Repeating the same actions over and over expecting different restults. Check for email from Tesla every 5 minutes. No email. Wait, let me check again. No email.

Edit: checking email again. No email

Last edited:
Received an email from Kyle at Tesla as we were driving north from Arizona to our home in Napa, CA. He indicated that our P-83 was ready when we were, even later that day. After some quick calculations I told him we could be in Fremont by 5 PM. We rolled in about exactly that, and there were our four shepards waiting at the front door, Kyle Williams, John Stocklin, and Jon the DS. What hands on treatment! After the paperwork was done, and the check signed, we were off for our introduction. The next hour+ was like drinking from a firehose! Thought I knew everything, from reading here, watching Cinergi's videos, and reading the manual. Well, I sorta did, but when released to the wilds, it all became a bit jumbled. To compound matters, it was pitch black out, pouring rain, at the height of rush hour. And just to make sure I stayed on my toes, the address to my house in Napa, had somehow morphed into the same street and number in Portola Valley, the opposite direction of Napa. I realized this as I was merging into gridlock on the 880, and decided to pull off at the next exit to sort things out. By now my dutiful wife, following behind (or so I thought) continued on up 880. I pulled off the interstate and parked along the side of the road at the same instant that the firehouse across the street decided to disgorge all their equipment sirens and lights going full blast. Finally I was able to get the Nav going to the correct address, and proceeded to cross over to 680. My wife, of course, is proceeding up 880 thinking she was on 680 (directions and GPS are not her strong suit!) In any event after a miserable commute in pouring rain, I finally reached some open road where I could use the CC. Remember, I'm now into my 15th hour of driving. Finally I was able to stretch the S's legs a bit. WOW. Not exactly sure what I would do with the Perf version. What a rocket. So home now, and quickly to bed. My wife managed to make it 10 minutes before me. Go figure!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and P-83 was delivered with 24 miles on it! And my Vin is 1571 for you scorekeepers out there.

View attachment 12062

Is that the first (official) brown delivery?

<-- Jealous

obsession
noun, that new car has become his obsession: fixation, ruling/consuming passion, passion, mania, idée fixe,compulsion, preoccupation, infatuation, addiction, fetish, craze, hobbyhorse; phobia, complex, neurosis;informal a bee in one's bonnet, hang-up, thing.

Tick, tick, tick... sigh!

P859, 85kw, performance, pearl white, black leather, obache matte - everything except rear seats.

Last edited:
P4062 (on TM forums) was just notified.

I sent an email to delivery about 24 hours ago. Still haven't heard anything (P3853).
Wow. Being obsessive about checking here all the time I'm thinking "sheesh, why so out of order?!"

Then if I mentally pull back and think on something like a 2-week granularity (rather than hourly :)), if P1-4000 where notified in that time span it's a small difference in the scheme of things if P1 was notified at the start or end of it.

Actually, the difference between P1 and P4000 is 10 long weeks, assuming they are producing 400 per week.

That would assume that they are at 400 per week and never rise above that. If Demand continues to increase they will have to ramp up production even more or keep a very long wait list to get a car. It also does not factor in cancellations.

Edit: Mod's please delete or move my posting as it appears I got off topic.