Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put it this way: If I can order today and get a Plaid next month or a LR in Sept/Oct, just means demand for LR is probably 4-5x Plaid. I assume also that's why they cut sales off from the Plaid+...I still dont know why anyone would buy a Plaid. I'd definitely just get the Plaid+ and wait, as it will be a far superior car with new battery tech, or go with the cheapo car, the LR.
The plaid plus sounds awesome but it could be 2023 by the time deliveries start.
I initially ordered a plaid plus and then canceled for a plaid. I thought long and hard before making my decision. I decided to go plaid and trade it for a plaid plus in the future (if the extra cost is justified.)
For me, the extra 130 miles of range isn’t a big deal since I don’t drive a lot and rarely take roads trips. 350-400 miles is plenty for my needs. And how much faster is the plus going to be ? Maybe a few tenths in the 1/4 🤷‍♂️.
The plaid plus will need to offer me more than slightly better performance and more range in order for the trade-in to make sense financially. I have a feeling the Plaid will be plenty for me and might not want to trade in. Also, there are still quite a few unknowns regarding the plaid plus so we’ll see how it plays out.
I know the LR is a smarter purchase but I’m fine with it.. only live once 🍻

Any chance that the low Plaid demand (if true) is the reason they are holding off on delivering LR until after 6/3 event…to generate more demand for Plaid before LR genie is out of bottle?
The LR is such a good deal at $80k so it’s hard for many to justify the extra $40k for Plaid. If the LR had 500-600hp (0-60 in 3.6-3.8) instead of almost 700hp (0-60 in high 2s with 1’ rollout,) then plaid demand would prob be higher. They made the LR too good ha.

I know the LR is a smarter purchase but I’m fine with it.. only live once 🍻
The June delivery date for the Plaid is just sitting there mocking me everyday. I find myself configuring a new Plaid order on a daily basis, and then right before finalizing a new order I reconsider. I want the Plaid, but just can’t justify the extra $40k. My Ludicrous P90DL Model S already was at the limits of what I felt I could safely control using launch mode. I can’t imagine what a Plaid model would feel like. Indeed, you only live once and I firmly believe my life expectancy will probably increase without a Plaid in my garage.

The June delivery date for the Plaid is just sitting there mocking me everyday. I find myself configuring a new Plaid order on a daily basis, and then right before finalizing a new order I reconsider. I want the Plaid, but just can’t justify the extra $40k. My Ludicrous P90DL Model S already was at the limits of what I felt I could safely control using launch mode. I can’t imagine what a Plaid model would feel like. Indeed, you only live once and I firmly believe my life expectancy will probably increase without a Plaid in my garage.
Well, if it makes you feel better, my guess is the refresh LR will be faster than your P90DL. Might be similar 0-60 but after 60, the refresh LR should easily walk away. Remember the LR is almost 400lbs lighter than your P90DL. The LR should be capable of mid-high 10s 1/4 mile. Should be similar to P100D times. My P100D was good for 540KW which is 40-50HP more than the LR; but my P100D was 5000lbs.

Has anybody tried ordering a 2nd Model S Plaid with white interior just to see if their account says June or July? The website claims June on everything.
My second order (5/21) says June for a Plaid Model S, Red exterior, White/Black interior. Compared the JSON data for both reservations and both are nearly identical, aside from my 2/16 order having the insurance details filled out. I suspect it's a pretty manual process for them to verify and populate insurance details and I suspect it means my earlier reservation is still further along and prioritized even though it has no date compared to the most recent order.

I noticed that too, and IIRC, next to them are a bunch with the frunk open--maybe this has to do with the supply chain issue.
I think so too. There are many MS now so if delivery starts, i guess we’ll see big numbers too. Looking forward to all your reviews on YT 😉 so i can decide if i keep my order (Europe) or go for a used 100d instead (costing about half the price of the refresh MS LR).

Reactions: omarsultan
34656361-023A-46AD-BE2D-A01A85575D6B.png

Your move, Tesla, your move.

Well, if it makes you feel better, my guess is the refresh LR will be faster than your P90DL. Might be similar 0-60 but after 60, the refresh LR should easily walk away. Remember the LR is almost 400lbs lighter than your P90DL. The LR should be capable of mid-high 10s 1/4 mile. Should be similar to P100D times. My P100D was good for 540KW which is 40-50HP more than the LR; but my P100D was 5000lbs.
I would be really surprised if a LR is as quick as a P90DL or P100D, doesn't the new LR still have the same motors as the old 100D? It would need the bigger rear motor of the outgoing P models to be mid 10's, I would think low to mid 11s more likely. Fast but not P100D fast.

Yes, assuming we can extrapolate from the 142 or so orders in the spreadsheet as a representative sampling, 83% are LR and only 15% Plaid (remainder Plaid++). Those of us who are a bit more optimistic think they will easily fulfill the Plaid orders quickly (perhaps even by end of June). Doesn't make sense that they would hold off LR until September. Demand just does not appear to be that high for the Plaid (at least relative to LR).
I agree with you 99%. My speculation is back orders are 90% LR and 10% Plaid because a $40K price difference is too high for only adding a motor. And LR is fast enough for most people. But they already built too many Plaid and need to move them quickly. To achieve this goal, the June Plaid event promotion was created and configurator says June delivery. Plaid should offer higher profit than LR, so move them first. Configurator for LR says Sept delivery for new orders due to a large LR backlog. LR orders like mine early Jan should ship in June for 2Q21 revenue.
The reason Plaid+ is grayed-out is Osborne effect and it was a mistake to announce it earlier. Using 4680 battery and structured compartment, it is far superior to std Plaid.

I have literally the exact same car as you, and I'm also in Florida. Ordered mid April S
I hate linking to the Twitter kids but... This dude keeps trying to hype *sugar* for 6/3:

Along with this:

Interesting.

@JayTee - no, the LR now uses the 3/Y motors. It's also much lighter than this other cars, ebon said "more energy"
Spoke to SA the other day. I have blue/cream/LR/std wheels, ordered October. She said hopefully in June. Fort Myers area