Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all seriousness though - this is true. I lived on the coast for years, left with no savings, took me all of 12 months to pay all of my debt, buy a bunch of stock and have a large "safety"/investment net once I got to the middle of the country.

I don't think people realize how insanely expensive places like California are, truly.

My car insurance was literally 3x. My utilities (especially water/electricity) were 4x. Gas was 3x. My rent was 2x for an old ass house (live in a new one now) that was half the size. Not having income tax saved me $40,000 last year alone as well. Not to mention the traffic and air quality is awful in SoCal.

So - TLDR - I agree that it depends on your personal circumstances. If you live in Iowa and make $150k, yeah, you're probably good to get a Model S.
Capture.JPG

In all seriousness though - this is true. I lived on the coast for 8 years, left with no savings, took me all of 12 months to pay all of my debt, buy a bunch of stock and have a large "safety"/investment net once I got to the middle of the country.

I don't think people realize how insanely expensive places like California are, truly.

My car insurance was literally 3x. My utilities (especially water/electricity) were 4x. Gas was 3x. My rent was 2x for an old ass house (live in a new one now) that was half the size. Not having income tax saved me $40,000 last year alone as well. Not to mention the traffic and air quality is awful in SoCal.

So - TLDR - I agree that it depends on your personal circumstances. If you live in Iowa and make $150k, yeah, you're probably good to get a Model S.
Yeah I appreciate NOT living in a high cost state/city a lot. To reenforce that I’ll watch a CA episode of house hunters or so hehehe. We are building a large house back home in TX right now, every luxury we want, on land, large 4+ car garage, nice pool, etc. and it’s paid off in advance. Sitting here waiting for it though in our overpriced 2 bedroom condo in downtown Chicago where I’ve seen the tax bill, would have to pay state taxes, city fees for everything, all food/gym/else is 2-5x more, etc. I couldn’t imagine CA/NY type rents and throwing away even more!

But the MS is still a luxury purchase id say, just how I was raised.

What do you want for a 15 second Google search? :p

Haha - well, IDK anything about Iowa but -

So about 3x for the base Cali price, yeah!

Personally, I cut roughly $3000/month off of my living expenses by leaving. Maybe that's peasant money to the Plaid reservation holders, but for the commoner, that's a good junk just by moving lol. Hell, I should be getting me a Plaid+!

In all seriousness though - this is true. I lived on the coast for years, left with no savings, took me all of 12 months to pay all of my debt, buy a bunch of stock and have a large "safety"/investment net once I got to the middle of the country.

My car insurance was literally 3x. My utilities (especially water/electricity) were 4x. Gas was 3x. My rent was 2x for an old ass house (live in a new one now) that was half the size. Not having income tax saved me tens of thousands last year alone.

We live just outside New Orleans. Our property is a half acre and our house is large for our family of 2 adults and 2 kids. Household income well surpasses bills with maxing 401Ks, IRAs, putting a lot in the brokerage annually, etc. We own both cars and have no CC debt. We chose to live here for the low cost of living. Our annual bills are around $60K. Our household income is around $250K+ depending on bonuses. If we even moved into the city we would double cost of living.

Last edited:
No, assigning VIN is done by the factory. Tesla Store doesn't know anything until they know they have vehicle incoming assigned by the factory
Two different things. The factory builds chassis based on order backlog and assigns VINs to chassis as part of manufacturing. The stores match allocated VINs against their open orders. When that happens, your order updates.

Reactions: doubleshot
@doubleshot what are you disagreeing with about that cost of living chart? Are you saying you just don't believe in data of any kind? Or is it you have a better understanding of the economics of Iowa vs LA? What are you thoughts on Iowa living compared to LA?
I think he is taking a page out of @Tigers playbook. Downvotes get downvotes!

17” is corner to corner on a 16:9. It can only sink into the dash on one side if its that far off the dash to begin with. No matter how you pivot it it’s around 6” from end to end.
True, 17" is diagonal and I'm not sure how large the bezel will be so the ~15" used in your diagram is probably fine. How far it would be off the dash on the off side doesn't seem to be a big deal. You'd only need to push the screen out a few inches for proper clearance on the near side.

I feel like the 22.5 degree tilt would be possible and useful especially if they want people to play games and watch movies on it. With the idea of them using it more for entertainment, a larger tilting radius would be helpful. The MS has a console behind the wheel for driver information and that leaves the screen more available for usage for the passenger during trips. I don't think they'd put a high powered AMD Ryzen APU in unless they expected that screen to do a lot of extra functionality that the tilt would help make more pleasant.

Anyone's guess until Elon fills us in on the 10th...

Reactions: Tigers
Can we just get back to bitching about how bad Tesla is and their scheduling?
Yea I'm not sure how we got on only rich white people can buy Tesla. Which is why I fight all figures. I can find studies that prove my points with simple google searches. Then can find studies that say the exact opposite. Who cares. Who cares about who makes what. What race or gender someone is. Where they live. What job they have. None of this matters. We're all buying a Tesla MS. We're all waiting.

By the way. Still blank on my delivery date.

OK - if Elon moves the event again, I'm canceling my order and I'm buying a house instead!

At this point - It's not fun, it's not cute or quirky, it feels like like they don't take this seriously. All the SAs are uninformed, which makes it so they can't do their jobs very well. The CEO is blabbing about some bullshit fake bullshit for months on end. They announce an event and delay it. Model S's are just sitting in some dirty lot collecting dust.

Andddd we still don't know for sure if the 10th is going to happen or if Monday he says "oopsies - we need another 6 months".

I think he is taking a page out of @Tigers playbook. Downvotes get downvotes!
Ha. I'm playing from a book that this is stupid and not a relevant conversation for anyone to be debating. Because. Everything is different for each person. We apparently want to bring wealth and race and equality into things. We're buying a MS. We all are. That's the only thing any of us have in common.

Yea I'm not sure how we got on only rich white people can buy Tesla. Which is why I fight all figures. I can find studies that prove my points with simple google searches. Then can find studies that say the exact opposite. Who cares. Who cares about who makes what. What race or gender someone is. Where they live. What job they have. None of this matters. We're all buying a Tesla MS. We're all waiting.

By the way. Still blank on my delivery date.
You can't vehemently argue against what I posted, and then at the same time say who cares. I only listed what I have read. You seemed to be offended at the thought of an older white male being the majority audience of a Model S.

At any rate, I am clearly in that demographic. I know in my 20's I would have seen the Model S as a boring sedan. Today I find it sexy.

OK - if Elon moves the event again, I'm canceling my order and I'm buying a house instead!

At this point - It's not fun, it's not cute or quirky, it feels like like they don't take this seriously. All the SAs are uninformed, which makes it so they can't do their jobs very well. The CEO is blabbing about some bullshit fake bullshit for months on end. They announce an event and delay it. Model S's are just sitting in some dirty lot collecting dust.

Andddd we still don't know for sure if the 10th is going to happen or if Monday he says "oopsies - we need another 6 months".
He probably will, and you definitely won't. 😂

You can't vehemently argue against what I posted, and then at the same time say who cares. I only listed what I have read. You seemed to be offended at the thought of an older white male being the majority audience of a Model S.

At any rate, I am clearly in that demographic. I know in my 20's I would have seen the Model S as a boring sedan. Today I find it sexy.
I'm saying the one random study you need to read more into before you take as truth. These studies funded by marketing companies are done specifically to make articles that lean a specific way. You have to read it which I pointed out. They curated 2500 results for their study. They didn't say how they chose those. Then they dug into those. My point is just that your random positing of nonsense that didn't have to do with anything is just that a random posting of nonsense. I don't even remember at this point why you would have even posted this nonsense.