Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think many of us would like the "4680" surprise tonight, it might explain the delay in production. I wouldn't put it past Tesla to increase price and then make the change but, I think the speed of the car is getting too close to the roadster and the demand for the + is not what they expected, ergo, it doesn't make financial sense to produce the separate chassis with the 4680 cells.
I think you've got it backwards -- demand for Plaid+ was taking sales away from Plaid, yet those orders wouldn't be contributing to Tesla's bottom line for a long time; Hence, cancel Plaid+. If you order Plaid today, estimated delivery is still in June, which tells me that Tesla is wanting to increase demand for Plaid. Don't ask me how increasing the price by 10K factors into that, however :D

At this point Tesla should run the current MS with the 18650 cells for 36-48 months then look to a complete redesign of the car with the 4680 cells after CT and roadster are in production. Tesla has pushed the boundaries with the current body. That would make sense to me, I have refrained from typing IMHO because it makes me nuts when I see that... or FWIW.. does that make anyone else nuts? :)

At this point Tesla should run the current MS with the 18650 cells for 36-48 months then look to a complete redesign of the car with the 4680 cells after CT and roadster are in production. Tesla has pushed the boundaries with the current body. That would make sense to me, I have refrained from typing IMHO because it makes me nuts when I see that... or FWIW.. does that make anyone else nuts? :)
ICAM, IMHO, FWIW,
Mark

[NTD: ICAM=I couldn't agree more]

Any Plaid+ buyers here who have been approached by Tesla to convert to Plaid now in order to still pay the old price? Or some that have reached out to Tesla themselves to negotiate for that lower price?

I believe this may be the intention behind the price increase.
I was waiting to hear from them and likely to switch my Plaid+ order to Plaid, but didn’t want to do it myself to be able to keep FSD for $8k instead of $10k.

It would be a huge slap in the face if they were like “thanks for the 9 month interest free loan of that thousand dollars, but now you’re gonna pay 10k more”.

I was waiting to hear from them and likely to switch my Plaid+ order to Plaid, but didn’t want to do it myself to be able to keep FSD for $8k instead of $10k.

It would be a huge slap in the face if they were like “thanks for the 9 month interest free loan of that thousand dollars, but now you’re gonna pay 10k more”.
Tesla's business practices can sometimes be... puzzling, to say the least

Is it possible there’s just enough of a backlog of Plaids at the original price to sustain deliveries for a couple more months of the 18650 and that any Plaid orders as of yesterday will THEN get the 4680 to justify the cost increase?

And yes I’m really asking.
So, they cancel the Plaid+, convert everyone to Plaid, give them the rushed first batch, switch up to better components in two months, and do all that with a smile? Sounds like some crazy ex GF *sugar* to me.

Has that been confirmed?
according to the website yes. i am 99% confident that the car will not deliver with fobs you can buy it afterwards if needed. phone will be used same as 3,Y etc.

me personally i liked the fobs might buy it afterwards anyways.

also if you guys know clubhouse there is a cool room called Tesla Universe with a lot of insiders talking daily. I have some invites if you guys want to join just DM me.

So, they cancel the Plaid+, convert everyone to Plaid, give them the rushed first batch, switch up to better components in two months, and do all that with a smile? Sounds like some crazy ex GF *sugar* to me.

When I read @JimLL post, I thought Tesla would never do it. But when you put it that way - that sounds exactly like something Tesla would do.

according to the website yes. i am 99% confident that the car will not deliver with fobs you can buy it afterwards if needed. phone will be used same as 3,Y etc.

me personally i liked the fobs might buy it afterwards anyways.

also if you guys know clubhouse there is a cool room called Tesla Universe with a lot of insiders talking daily. I have some invites if you guys want to join just DM me.
"However, it seems you'll still get a key fob."

tesla-model-s-x-refresh-features-revealed