Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is where all the red paint went!
Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 11.10.25 AM.png

I think people are trying too hard to justify why Tesla would raise the price $10k. It is Tesla and they do not need any justification. In their mind, they have built the best car on the road - period. They see the value in this vehicle and raised the price because they can. They see this level of performance justifies the difference of the LR and Plaid. I fully expect the LR to follow with a price increase after the swell of Plaid orders subsides.

They had to do it before tonight so that people watching or looking for the relatively first time will jump on board now and not even be the wiser that 24 hours ago they could have bought it for $10k less.

This is one reason why I do not see any earth shattering surprises like 4680 batteries or a moving wing. Those are coming but not tonight. The "surprises" are not being marketed to just us on TMC - the most informed people on the planet - but to the rest of the world that read just the EV rags or like my financial guy who drives an R8 and just knows a little about Tesla but will get one once he drives mine. These people do not live Tesla and get the pearls of wisdom from this very thread.

Many do not know about the Leno drive or the broken world record - that will be surprise to many. For a company that does not believe in PR, they really use it in these situations.

My own view is that Tesla secretly plans to put the 4680 cells on the Plaid even though they marketed the "Long Range" as having higher range and even though they said the 4680 cells were a year away. It makes total sense when you connect the dots, the dots being that Tesla raised the price of the Plaid and cancelled the Plaid+.
“Long Range” doesn’t mean the option with the longest range. It means that it’s higher than the standard range. A bit misleading since the standard range is long gone but the order summary does show the additional fee for the “Long Range” add on.

Reactions: HumanInput
I think people are trying too hard to justify why Tesla would raise the price $10k. It is Tesla and they do not need any justification. In their mind, they have built the best car on the road - period. They see the value in this vehicle and raised the price because they can. They see this level of performance justifies the difference of the LR and Plaid. I fully expect the LR to follow with a price increase after the swell of Plaid orders subsides.

They had to do it before tonight so that people watching or looking for the relatively first time will jump on board now and not even be the wiser that 24 hours ago they could have bought it for $10k less.

This is one reason why I do not see any earth shattering surprises like 4680 batteries or a moving wing. Those are coming but not tonight. The "surprises" are not being marketed to just us on TMC - the most informed people on the planet - but to the rest of the world that read just the EV rags or like my financial guy who drives an R8 and just knows a little about Tesla but will get one once he drives mine. These people do not live Tesla and get the pearls of wisdom from this very thread.

Many do not know about the Leno drive or the broken world record - that will be surprise to many. For a company that does not believe in PR, they really use it in these situations.
Agreed. Just take a look at the price gap between the Taycan 4S ($103k), Turbo ($150K), and Turbo S ($185k). We're just setting ourselves up for disappointment when they don't announce the 4680s or increase the range… As long as my Model S has no build quality issues and performs as advertised AND actually delivers in June, I'll be a happy camper. Now if it doesn't come with red brake calipers, I'm going to lose it 😂

Just received another call from Tesla. He did mention “some surprises” tonight at the event but wouldn’t tell me what they were. Should be interesting!
SURPRISE...we decided to replace the TESLA signature red calipers with grey/black calipers you can hardly recognize as any different to every other car on the road today...we call them TESLA "stealth brake calipers" and they're awesome! And we decided to increase the cost of the MS PLAID by $10k...SURPRISE! 😜

Agreed. Just take a look at the price gap between the Taycan 4S ($103k), Turbo ($150K), and Turbo S ($185k). We're just setting ourselves up for disappointment when they don't announce the 4680s or increase the range… As long as my Model S has no build quality issues and performs as advertised AND actually delivers in June, I'll be a happy camper. Now if it doesn't come with red brake calipers, I'm going to lose it 😂
I agree, however, I am still hoping for a surprise.

If you look at the price of the Audi GT RS edition, the new Plaid price is still $10k less after the price adjustment. I just think they realized they were underpriced for the performance the Plaid offers.

This RS version of the Audi GT has similar performance to the LR MS and isn’t even remotely close to the Plaid’s performance.
8D691AE9-DBDA-4160-956C-C8DCE05C8740.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree, however, I am still hoping for a surprise.

If you look at the price of the Audi GT RS edition, the new Plaid price is still $10k less after the price adjustment. I just think they realized they were underpriced for the performance the Plaid offers.

This RS version of the Audi GT has similar performance to the LR MS and isn’t even remotely close to the Plaid’s performance.
View attachment 671727
Looks very cool, whats the range?

Looks very cool, whats the range?
ars Technica Article

"Over the course of an hour and a mix of highways and back roads, I averaged 2.4 miles/kWh (25.8 kWh/100km), mostly switching between Efficiency mode (which limits acceleration and caps speed at 85 mph/137 km/h) and Dynamic (which gives you full power). That's about where I expected it to be—low enough to make a Tesla fan feel smug but still sufficient to give the RS e-tron a range of about 240 miles."

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd