Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idk maybe it's just me. Seems it would have made more sense if Tesla held off on the 19" wheel change, one day before the start of deliveries.
But nope, they chose to ship cars with the wrong wheels and hold up thousands of cars sitting there all ready to go.
It seems they were surprised on a number of fronts: a couple of colors (red and white), Carbon Fiber, 19" wheels, probably other things.plus Model X! Considering the state of industrial operations at the moment I cannot really be surprised. Disappointed, yes. Of course 4680's were not ready and possibly some press operations, in addition to GigaPress. There are a fair number of early production glitches,aren't there?
In context almost all OEM's right now are shutting down pants, stopping models due to supply chain issues.

Things will look vastly different one year from now when Shanghai has expanded, Buffalo expansion will be completed, Berlin and Austin operating. By that time we'll all forget about what it was like today.

I still want my Plaid!!

So here is an somewhat different topic on delivery - trade in. I changed my order to 21" yesterday. (24 hours later I am still August). For giggles, I also changed it to trade-in to see what I was offered. I was astonished that I was offered something reasonable. A bit less than I could do private party, but I would not have to deal with smog, DMV, and payoff to Chase. Also I assume no nit-picking on minor issue like wheel rash or the console door spring not being very user friendly - tell me if I am wrong? The car really does look great though.

Question: since I see multiple people ask about the 14-50 adapter on the power cord, on a trade-in am I expected to give them my existing power cord?

Even if they're making them the number is so low that they're neither visible in the drone videos nor are more than 1 being delivered at any SC so far. Also when if they're making them, they are not making them in this config with 19" wheels.
They are obviously making them. My LR with white interior rolled off the line on June 23rd. They still seem to be in limited supply, but I can confirm that they are now producing them.

Ok Ladies and Gents....I got the call just now to set my delivery date. I will be getting her 4pm on Wednesday. The carbon fiber was slowing me down. Changed to wood a week ago and got a VIN a few days later. Now I will have her before the 4th of July. I am all smiles right now. I hope you guys all have an amazing time with these cars. I will keep checking in and will post pics and updates (good or bad) when I pick her up. The only bad thing is that I have to work that night right after I pick her up...that is going to be hard to focus.

Greg

And what happens if someone scuffs the interior trim with their foot or you accidentally scrape it with a pen or whatever? Just thinking that you would be pretty upset if some of the interior trim wrap gets gauged and starts peeling off. Just a thought. I would just go with whatever you want for the trim...CF or wood and just leave it; don't mess with it. Just my thoughts.
You're right but wrapping or staining are the only options. Making a change from wood to CF at this stage would be a horrible decision. I'd end up waiting an extra month or two or more. The extra waiting could easily trigger bad behavior, and excessive drinking.
Seriously though, I ordered the wood trim because my preference is dark wood. The ebony wood on the site looked similar to the dark ash wood in my P100D and that's what I was thinking. Now that I've seen videos showing the ebony wood looks brownish, I'm searching for a solution.

Are you being serious right now? You want a vinyl wrap to make the wood look more authentic? I put chrome delete on my previous Model S, but I don’t think vinyl on the dash will give you a luxurious impression on the interior.
Just exploring options. I'm looking into wraps but not sure that's the way to go for the reasons you mention.

While this is good information, I'm not sure it really matters. You ordered about 3 weeks after I did (>100k orders, by RN) but have 21"s and a different color combo, and now have a delivery date. Not saying order date means nothing, but it's obviously not paramount.

...yeah, I'm a tad salty (and feel even more for the poor souls who ordered in 2020 and are still getting trumped).

It matters within otherwise equal orders. Location is probably the most difficult factor to account for, but otherwise if you’re ordering 21s and black wood interior, I would expect you to get your order fulfilled before others who have the same config later but a later original order date (or higher RN).

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Ok Ladies and Gents....I got the call just now to set my delivery date. I will be getting her 4pm on Wednesday. The carbon fiber was slowing me down. Changed to wood a week ago and got a VIN a few days later. Now I will have her before the 4th of July. I am all smiles right now. I hope you guys all have an amazing time with these cars. I will keep checking in and will post pics and updates (good or bad) when I pick her up. The only bad thing is that I have to work that night right after I pick her up...that is going to be hard to focus.

Congrats! what date did you get the VIN? Trying to understand time from vin to delivery call on avg.

It seems they were surprised on a number of fronts: a couple of colors (red and white), Carbon Fiber, 19" wheels, probably other things.plus Model X! Considering the state of industrial operations at the moment I cannot really be surprised. Disappointed, yes. Of course 4680's were not ready and possibly some press operations, in addition to GigaPress. There are a fair number of early production glitches,aren't there?
In context almost all OEM's right now are shutting down pants, stopping models due to supply chain issues.

Things will look vastly different one year from now when Shanghai has expanded, Buffalo expansion will be completed, Berlin and Austin operating. By that time we'll all forget about what it was like today.

I still want my Plaid!!
Understood.. just a bit different considering the refresh (even with the silver wheels) were sitting there all ready to go.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Just exploring options. I'm looking into wraps but not sure that's the way to go for the reasons you mention.
I spoke to my after market people about it (like you, love the ash wood) and they pretty much told me they were hands off the wood if the wood is similar to the Model 3. It is porous like real wood and they do not want to touch it. I think even someone (maybe @Hayseed_MS ) that they had similar wood in other cars and you basically leave it alone and it looks great for years.

I guess could you wrap in a black wood color and hope that the natural grain comes through. But I think you might regret it when you start feeling it. And then if some of the wrap rips over the natural grain cuts - man I would be pretty upset.

All that said, I am hopefully I like the walnut decor. I know from Omar's photos (and others), it really lightens up in the sunlight. But it might grow on me. I am not changing to black seats just to get the espresso colored wood. And since I am a minion with my LR, carbon fiber is no option.

So here is an somewhat different topic on delivery - trade in. I changed my order to 21" yesterday. (24 hours later I am still August). For giggles, I also changed it to trade-in to see what I was offered. I was astonished that I was offered something reasonable. A bit less than I could do private party, but I would not have to deal with smog, DMV, and payoff to Chase. Also I assume no nit-picking on minor issue like wheel rash or the console door spring not being very user friendly - tell me if I am wrong? The car really does look great though.

Question: since I see multiple people ask about the 14-50 adapter on the power cord, on a trade-in am I expected to give them my existing power cord?

I gave mine but I sold to a friend. Otherwise I don’t think you would have to provide it.

It depends how significant the difference is between Tesla's offer and the competition. There is something to be said for just trading it in and be done with it. However, if Carmax/Carvana offered $10k more, I'd take it. If Carmax/Carvana offered $5k more, I'd let Tesla take it and you'd get the trade-in tax benefit. It might even make sense to list it on TMC to see what people will offer.

Last edited: