Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a former racer, paying 5k$ for 21in OEM wheels makes no sense. In racing you want the lightest wheels that fits over the brakes.
Big 21s are not a performance upgrade the tires are great though. It’s a look upgrade. If someone likes the look fine. But Tesla should have tried at least to bring a light wheel to market. Maybe later with the ZeroG and Sport Cup 2… though this should have been an option from the start so when magazines tries the car it has the best possible performance of wheels and tires.

Tires are easy to find (usually) and you can get more options for wider/stickier tires in smaller more popular sizes. Depending on that I might stick to aftermarket 19s for the summer and will keep the stock 19s with aerocover for more range in winter.

It’s true that the air suspension set to Auto or Comfort will absorb a lot of the bumps you might otherwise feel in a coil setup. I can confirm this when I test drove Omar’s car.

However your 21s with thin tire profiles will probably be more subject to punctures or rim damage due to pot holes than 19s, which will inherently have much more sidewall to help prevent such issues.

I’m personally sticking with 19s, especially since my source (and Sam’s) confirmed they are starting to be produced this month - and we are finally starting to see some sightings of them in the wild! Exciting.
Agreed, looks are the only thing you're getting with 21" but you're getting way more with 19s. Range and protection from potholes is undeniably a better trade for some folks than looks.

Update: Hell has frozen over and I have a VIN. Odd I received no email but just saw it when I checked my account this morning. Is this normal? I excited but don’t trust it obviously.
D5D56980-DACE-4000-940B-1EF2D0C87818.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve noticed that Tesla’s site is pretty garbage. Trying to schedule a test drive leads to a spinning T logo and never goes through. Contact section doesn’t have a single car option and only has solar options. Ordering always gives you a fake month that goes away after a couple of days to a blank. Random date range with +1 day shift. How is this acceptable for a multimillion dollar company lol

I did provide an update yesterday. Current status is I am waiting on a new Battery to be shipped from Freemont to NY and should take them a day or two to change it out. They have not told me what caused the issue, assuming just that it was a defective battery. Car has less than 100 miles on it. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Trying to provide as much info to the group as I can.

I did provide an update yesterday. Current status is I am waiting on a new Battery to be shipped from Freemont to NY and should take them a day or two to change it out. They have not told me what caused the issue, assuming just that it was a defective battery. Car has less than 100 miles on it. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Trying to provide as much info to the group as I can.
I think people are wondering if the linked story in the first quote is your issue.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
$5k-ish. Seems pretty common for full car with edges properly wrapped.

For PPF the shop says it doesn't make a difference.

Apparently this stuff is about 4x the thickness of vinyl wrap, which I didn't know before I considered it.

This place says paint correction is mostly unnecessary, and I super respected their being up front and showing me why. PPF hides surface scratches and small blemishes in a way that makes it not a big deal for many ppl. Even the very clear ppf hides scratches as long as you can't feel them when you touch the surface with your fingernail.

Yeah, I don't think it is now, but in four years am I going to be sick of it? Maybe. Because of that I'm going clear. I love a black car, and if this lets me keep it looking clean, I'm gonna be super happy.

There were TWO refresh S at this shop being done and both looked great. I agree that I don't need the stealth, as the car already looks awesome, and I think shiny black will be great w/ ppf and ceramic.

Agreed on white. I saw some videos of that and it is amazing. In the end I'm going gloss and ceramic here.

You'll get there. Just don't forget your normal daily duties, and if you want to save yourself refreshing things, check out my github project for home assistant notifications of vin :)
I paid $6,500 for full car PPF and ceramic coating. XPEL Ultimate was the PPF. I was quoted a price back in March when I thought I was getting the car of $5,900. Was told this is a busier time of the year and costs have gone up.

This article was posted earlier, and we thought that you might find it of interest. Battery Woes
Thank you for the quick reply.

I think people are wondering if the linked story in the first quote is your issue.
No, sounds like they had a bigger issue then I did. I just received a warning that Max charge level has been reduced. Then car wouldn’t accept a charge. Those were my only symptoms. It appears they are treating my situation with care and caution.