Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought VINs are assigned prior to the SC receiving the car. My guess is the VINs are not assigned by the SC but I don't know for sure.
The car has vin assigned when entering production, since production processes have VIN as the unique vehicle identifier.
A given vehicle, with VIN is assigned to a customer when delivery approaches, whatever that may mean. In the event that a mishap in shipment occurs, the VIN assigned to a customer may change. The facts are fairly routine.

The reality for us, panting for our toys, is entirely different.

I must admit that the last time I was quite this obsessive was waiting for my CE525, which I ordered prior to FAA certification so I finally, years alter, took delivery of SN42. Never, ever buy an airplane with a low SN. I still did love it, even though it taught me more than one 'abnormal operation'.

I know my Plaid will be impeccable, partly because so many of us already have those early production models.

oh well, I can always try inebriation as an interim technique. 🧔 👿😰

Hi, as I mentioned above, I have a 19 reservation too, and got an EDD this am of the same as yours. Hopefully both of ours stick.
I think they will because neither of you have white interior. All of this is a good sign that 19s are no longer the restriction, even according to their configurator they aren't the hold up but sadly white interior/CF still is.

I think they will because neither of you have white interior. All of this is a good sign that 19s are no longer the restriction, even according to their configurator they aren't the hold up but sadly white interior/CF still is.
Finger's crossed the EDD sticks and the car is delivered between Aug 13 -27. I'm not getting my hopes up yet until I have a VIN.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months so I thought I would updated with my situation:

MSLR, MSM, 21", Black interior, RN1146xxxxx
Live in NH but having the car delivered to NJ
Ordered end of March 2021

Just got a VIN and an Aug13-16 EDD window (after many months of blank->month->range->month->GOTO blank and repeat).

Maybe there is another forum for this question, but I'll give this one a go, has anyone found a aftermarket 1 1/4" hitch that will fit the refreshed Model S, and has anyone had one installed?

I see that Torklift says : *Not compatible with 2021 post refresh model* for their EcoHitch, although support for EcoHitch said it was compatible, but I'm not 100% they know to differentiate between the 2021 Model S from the refreshed 2021 Model S.

(Also thanks everyone for the community and useful information! When I first ordered I thought this was gong to be easy :) )

I knew it! On the part where you say it pays to be nice to your SA. I get the feeling if they get your config they may offer it to someone else for whatever reason.

I know the VINs are assigned to the chassis at the factory, what I meant was if the factory assigns them to the customer or does the delivery center do it? From your response it sounds like the delivery center may do it, but then others have their car in transport which means maybe the factory assigned it?

Thanks, Omar!
The delivery center know which VINs/cars/configs they are getting once they HQ gives them their allocation, so they can start matching as soon as they get that, they don't have to wait until unit the car physically shows up. That's why some folks get a "your car is in transit" message, but that is also why EDDs keep rolling on some folks because transportation and logistics is a mess right now. If you listened to the earnings call, they mentioned an uptick in expedite fees.

I've been lurking on this forum for a few months so I thought I would updated with my situation:

Just got a VIN and an Aug13-16 EDD window (after many months of blank->month->range->month->GOTO blank and repeat).

Maybe there is another forum for this question, but I'll give this one a go, has anyone found a aftermarket 1 1/4" hitch that will fit the refreshed Model S, and has anyone had one installed?

I see that Torklift says : *Not compatible with 2021 post refresh model* for their EcoHitch, although support for EcoHitch said it was compatible, but I'm not 100% they know to differentiate between the 2021 Model S from the refreshed 2021 Model S.

(Also thanks everyone for the community and useful information! When I first ordered I thought this was gong to be easy :) )
I don't think the Model S refresh will accept a hitch. I seem to remember Omar removing the plastic cover from the back of his, only to find it is blank in there.

Welcome to the thread! 😁

I also want to add: the exterior build quality on both Model S Plaids were very, very good. Everything looked tight and uniform, except the interior rear door panels, which still do not line up (and look egregious, imo).

@omarsultan @Hayseed_MS @EVonly @webshot - Can you all see right into the trunk via the hatchback gaps? I noticed the gaps in the hatchback piece give the illusion you can see pretty far down into the trunk, but it may actually just be the interior sides of the trunk, with the actual trunk sealed off well (I assume this has to be the case, otherwise we'd all know by now lol).

No gap through to trunk. Sealed quite well

I don't think the Model S refresh will accept a hitch. I seem to remember Omar removing the plastic cover from the back of his, only to find it is blank in there.
There is a removable panel that seems tailor made for a hitch, but there are not attachment points behind it. IIRC, the EPC indicates a hitch is in the works.

There is a removable panel that seems tailor made for a hitch, but there are not attachment points behind it. IIRC, the EPC indicates a hitch is in the works.
It may be a Plaid only option. It allows you attach Super Sport vehicles to the back end at drag strips, to help them go faster.

I must admit that the last time I was quite this obsessive was waiting for my CE525, which I ordered prior to FAA certification so I finally, years alter, took delivery of SN42. Never, ever buy an airplane with a low SN. I still did love it, even though it taught me more than one 'abnormal operation'.

I've never been this obsessive, especially for a car. I feel like Tesla's little bitch putting up with all sorts of craziness and never moved on hah.

Thanks, I'll look for his post. Seems odd they would leave a hole there if there wasn't some way to attach a hitch. If there really is no support for a hitch thats going to be a real pain, I routinely carry 1 or 2 mountain bikes on my cars, I really hate the idea of lifting my bike on top of my new car and as large as the Tesla is I don't think I could easily fit two bikes in there.

Just called to SC to ask when I can take my car tomorrow just to have fun. Had some good talk with someone over the phone.

Found that there is some note on my order from some lady I have never spoke with or get email/text from her that she told me my delivery will be in September/October. 🤦🏻‍♂️Also that note says “customer was informed over phone”.

I’ve mentioned another member of this endless thread @WilliamG. Who got a VIN and will take delivery soon (congrats again), and was told that his configuration was “easiest to build” at this moment. Next second I said change my configuration to closes in order to get a car. And was told “there is no configuration to get match faster” 😂

Then SA told me to contact my DA who is ignoring me and I said that. I was told there is nothing he can help with at this point. “Customer support - what? (C) Tesla”

I said okay, cancel order I’ll buy taycan then (I seriously think about it alredy), and same minute I was told do not do it they will help me with my order. But did not say how. 👌🏻

I love to watch different stand-up shows, but only after 6/24/2021 I have found the new best show and it’s called “Tesla”.

I’m done. I can’t wait until October, and not only because “I want a plaid”, I don’t have a car now. I won’t buy anything just to drive since used market is crazy. We wait for new family member and my wifey needs her car almost all the time.
Also forgot to say.

After asking why I can see EDD as generic "July" I got some sort of "explanations".

I was told that Engineers working on a new EDD system and will completed by today or tomorrow and everyone should be able to see a more narrow and more accurate EDD.

Idk if we can take this info as legit.