Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW my ANC on my Bose headphones are awesome on planes and cruise ships - where the background noise is fairly predictable. watching a FSD video last night, I heard a bunch of different road noises based on the surface - so I guess the algorithm may have to tie in with the suspension or just microphones. I believe there was supposed to be a firmware update for the HVAC which might also tie in with the ANC.
I hear what Tigers is saying about it being a product that still has issues - the general adage in the past was you never want a first year car - the bugs have to get worked out.
At the same time, I think the refresh is cutting edge - so while by this time next year demand COULD be lower, and the bugs could be gone, that means waiting a year.
It's the mature thing to do.
Too bad I just can't wait :)
I want my MS, bugs and all. Though, with a 3 year lease, I'm hopeful when I get it more bugs are worked out, and I have more "complete" features for my 36 months with it.
There is no ANC at this time. It will have to be added in a software update.
You should have seen my face when I got this email. Literally no updates to the order, just an email to tease me into refreshing a dozen more times. Why? Haven't we suffered enough 😢😤

View attachment 688956

In retrospect, I'm guessing this means my lease offer had to be renewed because it's been more than 6 weeks since I converted my order and finalized with leasing.
The Sons a Bitches pull your credit every time you have to renew the lease.

Looks like they're ramping up Model X production lines over Model S, which would make sense since the EDDs on Model S has dramatically increased.

View attachment 689958
when I use the configurator, it shows Feb/March for all X plaid versions if you try to order now. For my X order of a few months ago, in my account it shows January. maybe it is where I am located?

• Informative
Reactions: HumanInput
For everyone talking about taking their car to the dragstrip/track, etc.
Informative, but I would be stunned if Tesla ever denied a warranty claim for drag strip runs. And I'm pretty sure we'd hear about it on TMC.

How would Tesla claim no knowledge when DragTimes has been doing this for years, on YoutTube.com, and then taking his used Teslas in for trade ins?

Likewise, let us all agree: the recent Jay Leno drag strip event was a "Tesla sponsored" event. Are we to think that Tesla scrapped the car after the 1/4 mile was done? Of course not; it will be sold either as a used car, or as a "new" factory demo car; either way, it will still have a full factory warranty, as it should . . . .

A bit off topic but wanted to get advice on winter tires and wheels for the new Plaid. Getting 21s summer tires at delivery but need to plan for driving under 45 degrees in a couple of months.
I've ordered a set of Signature SV104s in 19" (stock widths), TPMS haven't been sourced yet, but I'm planning on going with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 in stock sizes for the "winters". You are slightly south of me, so all-seasons are likely good enough? I don't plan on running all out "winter" or "ice" tires in South Jersey.

That is my plan until I see if the 19" plaids actually come with all seasons on them, and pricing those tires as well. Maybe I can convince someone who gets those on their car to trade me for my stock 21s. (Which I didn't really want in the first place)

Okay fellas, I have a delivery update for you, but take it with a massive grain of salt because I really don't think the sales advisors have any clue whatsoever still.

So I drove by my Tesla showroom/delivery center today and lo and behold they had the best color Model S sitting right there for me to look at. So you know your boy had to go in and take a look at it.

I do want to reiterate that red is definitely the best color by far. Anyway they had a red and a white Model S plaid both had black interior with carbon fiber.

I asked specifically about my long range Model S with a 19-in wheels and white interior, he looked it up on his computer and told me that great news, I do in fact have a placeholder build date. Now, the best part about that is the placeholder is late October early November lol. And then I asked this guy is that because of the 19-in wheels and or the white interior? And he told me oh no, they've been selling the 19-in wheels for weeks now and he's had all sorts of color combinations coming through and they are getting a ton..

This is the part where I knew he was full of s*** lol. I asked about the firmware hold and he said oh yeah all we've had to do to these cars is a single firmware update and a couple of wheel alignments here and there but otherwise they've been really great build quality so far.

So take this for what you will I think the guy is completely full of s*** and didn't want to look clueless even though he is and if my model last doesn't get a vin until November I'm definitely not taking delivery until 2022 screw that lol.

Last edited:
Took a trip from CO to Sun Valley two weeks ago with a 1 and almost 3 year old, both in larger convertible seats. Worked out great, plenty of space, and no hump in the middle was nice to store stuff on floor for trip (snacks, etc).

The LATCH buckles are actually nicely situated (kind of angled instead of flat, if that makes sense). Might just leave the seats in (normal ride for the kiddos is my wife's SUV).
Awesome! Thanks. I have a Kia Sorento (Snack Mobile) for camping, taking in bottles, moving big things, etc. with two car seats in it. I had an RS7 DD with two more car seats in it but I decided I need something that could accelerate faster than gravity and the Plaid was the only think in my budget lol

Edit: If you have pics with the car seats in I bet a few people would love to see it!

Okay fellas, I have a delivery update for you, but take it with a massive grain of salt because I really don't think the sales advisors have any clue whatsoever still.

So I drove by my Tesla showroom/delivery center today and lo and behold they had the best color Model S sitting right there for me to look at. So you know your boy had to go in and take a look at it.

I do want to reiterate that red is definitely the best color by far. Anyway they had a red and a white Model S plaid both had black interior with carbon fiber.

I asked specifically about my long range Model S with a 19-in wheels and white interior, he looked it up on his computer and told me that great news, I do in fact have a placeholder build date. Now, the best part about that is the placeholder is late October early November lol. And then I asked this guy is that because of the 19-in wheels and or the white interior? And he told me oh no, they've been selling the 19-in wheels for weeks now and he's had all sorts of color combinations coming through and they are getting a ton..

This is the part where I knew he was full of s*** lol. I've been asked about the firmware hold and he said oh yeah all we've had to do to these cars is a single firmware update and a couple of wheel alignments here and there but otherwise they've been really great build quality so far.

So take this for what you will I think the guy is completely full of s*** and didn't want to look clueless even though he is and if my model last doesn't get a vent until November I'm definitely not taking delivery until 2022 screw that lol.

TMC is a vocal minority of users, so there are ones in the wild :)

This is the part where I knew he was full of s*** lol. I've been asked about the firmware hold and he said oh yeah all we've had to do to these cars is a single firmware update and a couple of wheel alignments here and there but otherwise they've been really great build quality so far.

So take this for what you will I think the guy is completely full of s*** and didn't want to look clueless even though he is and if my model last doesn't get a vent until November I'm definitely not taking delivery until 2022 screw that lol.
When did you order? What is your EDD?

This was probably asked some 1000 pages ago, but does the Fremont factory assign VIN's or does the delivery center?

It feels like Tesla makes whatever they can in batches of colors. Then sends them to random delivery centers and it basically becomes a lottery.
VINs are assigned to chassis at the factory (they are stamped into the frame among other places). Once cars are built, they are allocated to the various delivery centers based on their open orders (and, towards the end of the month/qtr, their ability to deliver the cars). The SAs then work as a team and work through their allocation and match them to open orders. This is why you hear terms like "soft match" in there is a car that potentially matches your order specs. This also why it pays to be nice to your SA.

seems to be significant movement on 19" orders.

Mine hasn't budged though (Black ext / White int / CF / 19" wheels, RN11394xxxx)

It still just says "July" with no VIN. I guess I'd better call my SC and ask what time i'm picking it up tomorrow.
We're in a similar boat. Says "July" with no VIN on my Plaid White ext / White int / CF / 19" wheels, RN11399xxxx. Will be curious how this pans out.

Delivery went butter smooth! Car is awesome! Can’t wait for you guys to get your cars! Stay strong everyone. Thanks for all the encouragement!

Attachments

• 306A1B87-20AB-4E94-8088-B8F8EF5CACB8.jpeg
    306A1B87-20AB-4E94-8088-B8F8EF5CACB8.jpeg
    538 KB · Views: 96