Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do people think of the alien spaceship sound the car makes when it backs up. I am told by Tesla that this is a pedestrian safety feature. If that’s true, is this new to the refresh or has this been around for a while. Neither of my prior Teslas’had it.

The sound reminds me of the sound the Leader’s spaceship makes when the leader tries to escape in the Simpson’s “Joy of Sect” episode.
View attachment 700477
I can’t find a GIF with sound.
Im not a fan of it tbh. I think they started adding it late 2019. My model 3 was built 08/19 and i dont have it but I have the speaker holes, but ive seen a few built around 10/19 that have it.

For anyone interessted in the innerworkings of the Model S Plaid, Rich Rebuild's video is premiering soon:

Looks like it as single piece rear gigacasting!
1629748857590.png

Lots of the Feb/March/April dates are pulling way in. I suspect whatever part shortage was responsible for the huge delay got worked around or rectified.
We have the same DD range but RN 1145 (3/2/21). Looks like they are FINALLY getting around to producing our blue/cream 19” batch 😬

What’s wrong with the temp lot cars?
Are they delivering temp lot cars? I thought they were just waiting for black 19" wheels, trim, or something else. If they are delivering the temp lot cars and there isn't something other than changing wheels or adding missing trim, I would almost rather take one of those cars than an EOQ car based on Musk's statement that for QC, you either want a new model built either at the beginning (presumably when they are really careful and taking their time) or after they have stabilized production (which I took to mean 18 months to 2 years out) BUT not during a production ramp where they are still figuring out how to make cars at volume and QC may lag.

I assume the temp lot cars are cars made at the beginning so unless there is another issue other than getting black 19" wheels or missing trim, it looks like you may get better QC than an EOQ car with the only downside being that it was exposed to the elements longer. The elements sucks BUT since I am leaning toward xPEL, at least I would know the paint has cured long enough.

Who am I kidding, this is all rationalization. If I get ANY Model S anytime soon (EOQ, misfit lot, reject, whatever), I'll take it.

Are they delivering temp lot cars? I thought they were just waiting for black 19" wheels, trim, or something else. If they are delivering the temp lot cars and there isn't something other than changing wheels or adding missing trim, I would almost rather take one of those cars than an EOQ car based on Musk's statement that for QC, you either want a new model built either at the beginning (presumably when they are really careful and taking their time) or after they have stabilized production (which I took to mean 18 months to 2 years out) BUT not during a production ramp where they are still figuring out how to make cars at volume and QC may lag.

I assume the temp lot cars are cars made at the beginning so unless there is another issue other than getting black 19" wheels or missing trim, it looks like you may get better QC than an EOQ car with the only downside being that it was exposed to the elements longer. The elements sucks BUT since I am leaning toward xPEL, at least I would know the paint has cured long enough.

Who am I kidding, this is all rationalization. If I get ANY Model S anytime soon (EOQ, misfit lot, reject, whatever), I'll take it.
TBH, although it's possible that these are customer cars, I personally am expecting them to become demos or test mules. They've been sitting for too long at this point for Tesla not to have taken advantage of the fact that they are available to ship vs. building new ones. Whatever issues the initial ones faced have clearly been fixed on the production line.

TBH, although it's possible that these are customer cars, I personally am expecting them to become demos or test mules. They've been sitting for too long at this point for Tesla not to have taken advantage of the fact that they are available to ship vs. building new ones. Whatever issues the initial ones faced have clearly been fixed on the production line.

Demo cars eventually are sold to customers though, so they'd still need to get them to production spec to become demos. Unless the only concern is slightly lower build quality from being torn apart and rebuilt, then they'd be fine using them as demos and then selling them.

Demo cars eventually are sold to customers though, so they'd still need to get them to production spec to become demos. Unless the only concern is slightly lower build quality from being torn apart and rebuilt, then they'd be fine using them as demos and then selling them.
Exactly. What I was meaning is the possibilities of someone who ordered a car getting one of the Dusty 450 are very low.

Do not overthink it. Inspect the car and take it if it meets your standards.

There is a lot of speculation as to what and where and when to these cars. No one really knows. You will find people that have first builds that are great and others with issues. There is no trend with this refresh (yet). I have an early car and it has an issue or two but overall a very well built car. I do not think mine was on that lot - but we really do not know why those cars are there and if anything is wrong with them. Cars sit on dealer lots for months without being driven and they seem to be sold just fine.

Again, do not over think it.

Exactly. What I was meaning is the possibilities of someone who ordered a car getting one of the Dusty 450 are very low.

Tesla doesn't seem concerned about build quality at all though. Why would they not just deliver these cars to customers? They don't care if someone would prefer a new one, they can just assign them to some unsuspecting customers who wouldn't even notice the low VIN.

Unsolicited call from my SA today asking why I have two nearly identical plaid orders. As if he’s living under a rock and hasn’t heard of all the delays. Anyway, explained situation and then he said finishing financing would put me to front of line for California builds that will occur in September. Then I told him I did that with my model X order in February and still have no car. He apologized and said just submit as a cash order and then call him immediately once vin is in and then he will switch me to financing. We’ll see what happens.
He may be right about that. I was financing, but not through Tesla, so I submitted my order as cash. Once I had a VIN I called to explain the situation and they switched me to financing, amended the process to allow the SC to add my bank, and then corrected the flow of paperwork on their end. I didn't do this to get a car faster, but it may have ended up that way, based on what he is saying.

Tesla doesn't seem concerned about build quality at all though. Why would they not just deliver these cars to customers? They don't care if someone would prefer a new one, they can just assign them to some unsuspecting customers who wouldn't even notice the low VIN.
That was my point. Tesla is keeping these on purpose. Why not use these already built cars, and ship them, to fill some orders? But they don't. Tesla wants these cars for some reason. I don't think anything is wrong with them, maybe originally, but now it seems as if Tesla wants those to keep.

Reactions: BPeter
That was my point. Tesla is keeping these on purpose. Why not use these already built cars, and ship them, to fill some orders? But they don't. Tesla wants these cars for some reason. I don't think anything is wrong with them, maybe originally, but now it seems as if Tesla wants those to keep.

Yeah this has been discussed many times, there's no way to know. I personally would not take one of these. I'm too suspicious of Tesla and their treatment of customers. I think there's something wrong with them, maybe even related to that Plaid that burned out shortly after deliveries began (btw did we ever get any more information about that?)

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yeah this has been discussed many times, there's no way to know. I personally would not take one of these. I'm too suspicious of Tesla and their treatment of customers. I think there's something wrong with them, maybe even related to that Plaid that burned out shortly after deliveries began (btw did we ever get any more information about that?)
When @gabeincal zoomed in on the windshields of a few MS' in the temp lot, there was a paper:
This is what was likely wrong with those cars, and what has obviously been fixed on the production line for new cars. I'm thinking the reason these cars are still here is a mixture of parts shortages, and the fact that Tesla may want these for their own use, or as demos or mules as I've said earlier.
And regarding the fire, it has disappeared from the media. Leads me to believe something was seriously sus, especially being EOQ. The story was quite odd, details were scarce, and it honestly looked as if it had been in a wreck, with its crumpled front bumper.

My 1st MS took 8 weeks back in Q1 '14, and I thought that was a lifetime! 🤣
My EDD atm is Sept 13-30. Been holding there since the global update. Prior to that was blank since late June.
My first MS was a 63 day wait I believe as well. We will see about this time, but if my EDD holds up I think it will be more like 40 - 45 days this time. I forget how long my M3 took, but I feel like it was pretty fast, like just 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid