Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What she said. I'm a 50+ boy racer whose other boy racer pals all have loud performance ICE cars. When I let slip the fact that I had a Model S on order, there was some excitement plus a bit of EV scoffing by the boy racer gotta have rumble and the exhaust for it to be any good contingent. The scoffing became universal when they heard I "cheaped" out and got the LR.

I have a bad back and intellectually know that the LR is faster than I want or need so I went with that but now I have bad FOMO (especially after reading and seeing videos about the Plaid which had I read and seen before I ordered (darn Tesla delivery delays), might have changed my mind). If I was completely practical and intellectual, I should have bought a Model 3 or a Y.

Now, I want the fastest production car not only for myself but also to screw around with on the weekend with my pals. Oh well, the LR is still faster (at least in a straight line I think) than my pals' cars (though maybe not the 911 GT3, M5, Vette or the RS7/ crap, I need different friends).
The LR will beat any 2022 Corvette in a quarter mile race. You'll be fine.

I am an OG BoyRacer ( the O could stand for original or old - maybe an OOG ? ) and still have ICE cars and also love the sound of a well tuned exhaust but have found that enjoying “ performance “ driving in an EV is more relaxing because it is so stealthy; you don’t have to worry about being pulled over for a loud exhaust or exhibition of speed .
Haha. That reminded me of the time I was pulled over in my MB AMG by a PB County Sheriff Deputy right in front of my guard-gated home community. He told me he was writing me a ticket because my "muffler" was too loud. I asked him what "the muffler" was, lol, and asked if he meant my car's "stock AMG exhaust that came that way from the Mercedes-Benz factory?" 😜

Now, only I knew that I had catless long-tube headers on the car, but I kept the oem AMG stock catback exhaust (with AMG tips which I asked the officer to go look it), so it just looked oem stock. 😝 It was the loudest exhaust I've ever had on any of my vehicles, and yes, it was crazy LOUD. I argued with him for about 30 sec. and just took the ticket (which I just paid later just to avoid a court appearance) because my 2 young daughters were also in the back seat, totally stunned and crying...because they didn't understand why daddy was stopped by the police (for a loud (ahem, stock exhaust) when I didn't do anything bad. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but laughed about it later. 😅

Last edited:
Wow, that actually hurt a bit to watch someone who claims to be a professional in the field present as he did.

Anyway, I think the focus on motor rpm and top speed is off point.

I think it is much more likely that the Plaid+, with its larger capacity battery, could tolerate a less efficient power train. The reduction in efficiency would have come from spinning the motors faster using more like the standard Tesla gear ratio. Assuming torque delivery does not fall off too fast with rpm, doing so increases power delivery and performance while still delivering 200 mph top speed. In addition, why would Tesla need more than 200 mph? (or even 200 mph for that matter)

The above would explain the need/nature of the higher rpm carbon wrapped rotors for something other than top speed.

It was also a bit disappointing that the "expert" did not recognize the efficiency benefits of a non-ferrous retention mechanism that likely also allowed for tighter clearances between rotating and stationary components in the motor (thus better magnetic coupling and efficiency).
I have NO IDEA what you just said here (as usual...I am one of the least technical people around, lol) and what it all means, but it sure sounds good. Right on! 🤔 👍 😜

So, anyway, getting PPF on the car (and tint and ceramic blah blah). I’ve been watching the shop work on my car the last two days because this particular place live streams their work. It’s been fascinating to watch. Everything is nicely done more or less except the driver‘s fender.

Turns out that the inspection note I got when I picked up my car last week that noted that they had to repair the paint on that fender was accurate in that they had to do so, but not accurate in that they did not do a good job. The clear coat fails as soon as the detail folk try to do anything with it, so they have to fix and repaint it for me. They’re doing it for paint cost because at this point, what‘s labor anyway?

I am probably not going to yell at Tesla over the $200 just because it’s not worth my time, but maybe I will because now I won’t get my car back until Monday (or maybe Tuesday, which means Friday because I’ll be on a plane to SFO at 8:30a on Tuesday).

I swear.

Picking up my Red Plaid with Black Interior/ Carbon Fiber on Monday 9/20!!!
I was at the SC yesterday, picking up a friend who was getting him Model Y’s windshield replaced. I asked for a peek at my car. Apparently it was still in an offsite warehouse. They allowed me to peruse the lot for Plaids & LR’s as I had never seen a ‘21 in person.
Didn’t find my exact configuration. But took several photos of all the elements.
Below…
70CD012D-4A3F-4B3C-81F8-8151358DFE31.jpeg
682AA15F-2930-48CE-939A-EDE2DEA6AEAD.jpeg
C46EC542-CC0C-48B9-9564-3E3E572977E2.jpeg
50BEA650-3FA2-4D48-8CF7-61E6FBC36941.jpeg
66BD3F93-A8A3-416C-B89D-5A4EBFF7B546.jpeg
7F1ADF26-7A23-4EBC-BC9F-6C70BE7A79D2.jpeg
F1994661-82B3-484C-9EC7-5AB93C2485BA.jpeg
C9966BA4-A2E2-4011-88C4-7FB1A51E152B.jpeg
2137E79F-DAFC-4338-99D2-8F545BDFBECE.jpeg
2D17B525-C5EC-47FC-A761-226A02E8E691.jpeg

An E60 M5 with a Dinan exhaust and the LFA make the best noises that I have ever heard a car make.
Yes!!! Dinan exhaust is the final piece I’m missing!

So it's modded; not oem stock. Nice! What's the WHP/TQ? What does it run in the 1/4 mi? My full-bolt-on 700HP/TQ e85 GT-R topped out around 195mph but ran 1/4 in 10.2sec @ 136mph. ;)
No not oem, I believe oem with the limiter removed it’ll hit 206 mph. But don’t quote me on that, it’s been a while since I’ve been on the m5board.
I believe the G-power hurricane provided 750hp. Don’t know the quarter mile numbers but
0-100km in 4.2 seconds
0-200km in 10 seconds
0-300km in 29.5 seconds

not all that impressive 0-60 when a plaid is next to it.

No not oem, I believe oem with the limiter removed it’ll hit 206 mph. But don’t quote me on that, it’s been a while since I’ve been on the m5board.
I believe the G-power hurricane provided 750hp. Don’t know the quarter mile numbers but
0-100km in 4.2 seconds
0-200km in 10 seconds
0-300km in 29.5 seconds

Um I like the E60 M5 with the V10, but I don't think the Plaid not being faster to 200 is gonna happen. Obviously after 200 when the Plaid hits the limiter, but till then, the Plaid should be leading by about 13 to 14 seconds. Insideevs.com along with MotorMatchup.com are estimating 0-186 mph (300 kph) in under 15 seconds. The Plaid's ability to hold power is insane, and it will still be making in the really high 900hp range at 200 mph. :)

Um I like the E60 M5 with the V10, but I don't think the Plaid not being faster to 200 is gonna happen. Obviously after 200 when the Plaid hits the limiter, but till then, the Plaid should be leading by about 13 to 14 seconds. Insideevs.com along with MotorMatchup.com are estimating 0-186 mph (300 kph) in under 15 seconds. The Plaid's ability to hold power is insane, and it will still be making in the really high 900hp range at 200 mph. :)
I never claimed the plaid would be slower 0-200.

I never claimed the plaid would be slower 0-200.
After 200 yes, but from 150 to 200, the Plaid would spank that M5. At a 1/2 or 1 mile race, the M5 may not be able to catch in time either. Not to put your car down at all, just wanted to point that out. :)

Not part of the boy racer club nor am I 50 and I love the sound of a nice engine + exhaust set up.
Can’t explain why, I just do.
I also don’t care that a plaid will beat the brakes off my M5 in the 0-60 and the quarter mile, in the same way that I’m sure a plaid owner wouldn’t care that my m5 would wreck them in a 150-220 mph race.

0-100km in 4.2 seconds
0-200km in 10 seconds
0-300km in 29.5 seconds

No offense but 0-60mph in 4.2 sec is hardly impressive these days. Had a Porsche Macan Turbo that did that with ~ 475HP. Something is off if your car has ~ 750HP and can’t hook up on a launch to run low-mid 3.x sec 0-60mph. Anyhow, enjoy! 😉 Btw - Dinan produces mediocre aftermarket tuning…super conservative, not aggressive for way too much $$. Before I had an AMG and GT-R, I was in the BMW tuning world but with an older 3-series. Wasn’t impressed with Dinan compared with other BMW tuning companies.

I am really happy for you but BEYOND frustrated with Tesla. I have the exact same config as you, RN11446, ordered on 4-Feb and my most recent EDD is now Dec 17-Jan 6!!! I wonder if you got in after the price increases? I called to complain today but got the normal Tesla blah blah blah from the order team.

I really doubt now that reservation order has ANYTHING to do with your receiving a VIN. After owning Teslas for almost six years, things like this make me want to move on... I just wish competition was better.
Wow this is indeed shocking, and I'm really sorry to hear this.... For what it's worth, my April order was prior to either of the 5k increases.

There must be something else going on. Perhaps in case it matters, I've got white exterior, black interior.... assuming you have that, too, then I'm wondering if it has something to do with Texas and their delivery quirks? On the Tesla tracking sheet, I'm right around the same time as several others who ordered within 2 - 6 weeks in either direction of me - but we are on east coast / south east.

Because there is no 10k to explain this huge delta in order to delivery timelines, I'm really scratching my head as to what it could be. I'm assuming you didn't make any changes to your order, right? I didn't even switch to financing until after I had the VIN.

Regardless, I don't blame you - I'd be beyond ticked off...

After 200 yes, but from 150 to 200, the Plaid would spank that M5. At a 1/2 or 1 mile race, the M5 may not be able to catch in time either. Not to put your car down at all, just wanted to point that out. :)
N/A is a better description than wreck it. Fun to play tuner says the car will do…..