Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time you push your body into the seatback you get a little thrill. The basis of amusement rides and roller coaster at your disposal at any time. Why do people have such a hard time understanding that it's the feeling of acceleration on the body that is thrilling, not the numbers...
I agree, never tracked any of my cars for that reason, but definitely do spirited driving 😅

I don’t see a 4680 Model S in the near future. With the (~500k) orders of the Cybertruck, the Semi, the Y and Roadster all needing these cells, I think it’s safe to say that the S will not be high on the priority list for these batteries. The S is definitely quite good as is.

When the new cells fly off the assembly lines and all other models have ramped up their production, the S will be due for an update anyway. I don’t expect a 4680 MS for at least 4-5 years. I may be wrong, but I’ve learned to lower my expectations real low with Elon’s promises.
I would gently disagree, if they can produce enough of the batteries in quantity - however, speaking from the other side of my mouth, I also agree - they may have higher priorities, and also, there would need to be some re-engineering of the battery compartments/frame of the S - unless that was done already.
I think it's also possible, the original 4680 was supposed to be "this" size and "this" shape - and it's possible the final product will be slightly different, so again, that could affect what the structural pack on the S might look like.
S works - leave alone for now.
CT and Roadster and semi's need the 4680? put them into the priority....

Every time you push your body into the seatback you get a little thrill. The basis of amusement rides and roller coaster at your disposal at any time. Why do people have such a hard time understanding that it's the feeling of acceleration on the body that is thrilling, not the numbers...
it dawned on me a couple of weeks ago when my FOMO went into full hyperdrive - I felt the 1 second for the Plaid was silly, until I really started to consider what it might FEEL like in use, etc. so now I regret not signing up for the Plaid.
My cheapness won't let me do it - I'd lose my LR pre-$10k pricing.
If I was going to order now, and be subject to the current LR pricing that would make the delta $10k less. and of course, the Plaid was $10k less right before launch day, and I blew that.
If I was fictionally offered the Plaid for the pre-launch day pricing TODAY I might bite, having stewed on this for months - but back then, naw, I didn't see the benefit. Now again, I think I have more FOMO than need, and I justify to myself that the LR is a better "value" but I guess it is 60% HP wise of the Plaid, seemingly 2/3 the performance (at least 0-60 wise) and maybe 95% of the rest of the experience for maybe what, 68% the price of the Plaid?
THAT'S how I justify saving the now $50k to me.
But sigh, I still want the Plaid....I also want to have my cake and eat it too!

it dawned on me a couple of weeks ago when my FOMO went into full hyperdrive - I felt the 1 second for the Plaid was silly, until I really started to consider what it might FEEL like in use, etc. so now I regret not signing up for the Plaid.
If I was going to order now, and be subject to the current LR pricing that would make the delta $10k less. and of course, the Plaid was $10k less right before launch day, and I blew that.
If I was fictionally offered the Plaid for the pre-launch day pricing TODAY I might bite, having stewed on this for months - but back then, naw, I didn't see the benefit. Now again, I think I have more FOMO than need, and I justify to myself that the LR is a better "value" but I guess it is 60% HP wise of the Plaid, seemingly 2/3 the performance (at least 0-60 wise) and maybe 95% of the rest of the experience for maybe what, 68% the price of the Plaid?
It can't hurt to try to ask your SA to switch you. There is a slim chance that you might keep the $10k lower rate.

Pretty slim chance but maybe worth pushing for now that there are inventory units appearing around the country and we are at EOQ.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
It can't hurt to try to ask your SA to switch you. There is a slim chance that you might keep the $10k lower rate.

Pretty slim chance but maybe worth pushing for.
EoQ typically throws things out the window. If you find a Plaid in inventory, there is a good chance that they might be willing to honor a pre-increase price on the Plaid. I have not been following what that is - $5K or $10K or nothing. No clue. But given they have a handful in inventory, they might be a bit more willing to move them plus you have an order at the pre-refresh price. Like Bull said, never hurts to ask. Worst they say is no.

For what it is worth, my SA told me that even at EoQ they could possibly swing matching the pre-refresh price to a completely different build (exterior, interior colors and wheels). That was when I was contemplating setting sail on the white interior.

I don't think it's impossible to use the rationale that you ordered the LR before the price hikes, and that since you've been waiting so long for your long range you're willing to match to a Plaid in inventory at the pre-release pricing today. I was able to maintain my pre-release price matching to an inventory car. (it was Plaid to Plaid though) Worth a try.

My friend, I totally understand...

I told me wife nearly exactly what you posted... I'm concerned, anxious, feeling guilty, etc. Her response: "Honey, for 27 years, I've watched you struggle to get your career going, work endless hours, with months at a time away from home. I've watched you sacrifice everything you wanted in order to provide for your family. You've supported me and our two kids better than a wife could ever ask a husband to do. It's time you rewarded yourself for a job well done. Get the car, and enjoy every second of it. Don't feel bad, guilty or anxious. You've done your job for me and our family. I want you to get that car and enjoy every minute of it. Oh, and I want you to take me to a drive in theater after we get the car. And make out. A lot."

Life is short. Do something that makes you happy, even if it means you have to stretch a bit to do it. Yeah, "Life is short" gets used a lot, but often time people don't really realize how much that really applies; I've had several friends have their lives cut short recently and unexpectedly. Buy the car. Eat your desert. Be happy. Gawd knows you deserve it.

Chances are, you're the typical American man that has worked his whole life to support his family and has never bothered to pat himself on the back a bit for it.

Pat your back, man... you've done good.

Oh, and post pics of your new ride. :D
No offer to freely hook up with the new Nanny? Psssh. 😂

EoQ typically throws things out the window. If you find a Plaid in inventory, there is a good chance that they might be willing to honor a pre-increase price on the Plaid. I have not been following what that is - $5K or $10K or nothing. No clue. But given they have a handful in inventory, they might be a bit more willing to move them plus you have an order at the pre-refresh price. Like Bull said, never hurts to ask. Worst they say is no.

For what it is worth, my SA told me that even at EoQ they could possibly swing matching the pre-refresh price to a completely different build (exterior, interior colors and wheels). That was when I was contemplating setting sail on the white interior.

I had 3 different SA's and one of them who went to a manager tell me all an emphatic NO. There's NO chance of price matching an inventory
car to your order amount. Zilch.

Yes it's ridiculous as I saw an inventory LR the other day here in AZ which was a different colour but they wouldn't do it as it was 5k more

Shitty for sure.

I think Plaid would be cool but I got over cancelling my order. Maybe my next Tesla I’ll go for the new version of Plaid or whatever it’ll be then. Hopefully the ordering experience improves 😅😅
Me too. Tesla has to improve the ordering process because it's competitors are coming and have finally figured out pricing.

Mercedes announced EQS US pricing with 3 easy to understand option packages (from $105k-$125k before tax credits b/c MB hasn't hit the limit yet), 2 years of free fast charging (but not the Tesla network) and comparable range.

To each his own but unless you want the speed (both Model S models will handily beat the EQS but the EQS is probably plenty fast for most people not on this forum), these are compelling offerings for the top tier EV Benz for those who want a more luxurious ride.

Crap, if parts are falling off my Model S at delivery or QC is really bad, I may just say screw it at this point.

Word of warning, already stressed by others.
My car has 200 hundred miles, a couple dozen launches, and the rear wheel arches are starting to look sand blasted. Plenty of tiny specs of missing paint. When I'm back from vacation I'm going to wrap those in blue painters tape until I can get it to my wrap appointment in late October. Maybe I should order some track wrap too.

Also I drove it a bunch on Sunday. It's definitely a notch above a P100D on launch and a step above when at 25+ mph. Just an incredible car. And it keeps it up at any charge level.
I found myself also just sitting inside the interior in Park. The interior is incredible and just a nice place to hangout. Feels like a high-end modern home, especially with the wood.

Last edited:
Has anyone received a VIN that is not able to pick up their cars due to travel?

Murphy's law of waiting for my VIN since mid Feb (LR, 19, MSM, Blk), my EDD is getting closer/tighter around next week. Unfortunately I may be out of town for a couple of weeks and will not able to pick it up (if the EDD sticks). Anyone else miss their date and have to get back in line? What does that look like (timing) and risk of the price change kicking in (I am pre Price increase since I ordered in Feb).

Thanks
I would call the main number asap and let them know. They can work w the delivery center to hold it up to a week. Otherwise, if you're able to pick up in advance of your travel and if the car is already in transport, they might be ok. Only issue is the EOQ, they'll definitely want to show as delivered in qtr whether it's you or someone else.

They did that for me (held for a week), but it took numerous calls so earlier you give them the heads up, the better.

Took Delivery Today.
Build Date: 9/9/21
Red Black CF PLAID 19” Wheels
Car appears near perfect.
Amazing.
Fantastic Drive to ALSET for Full Wrap & Ceramic coating.
I’ll try to post links to videos tomorrow. For now…
Here are a few sneak peeks of screenshots from my videos:
View attachment 712289View attachment 712290
What does you VIN end in? Just wanna see if I’ll get the same looking car since I have the same specs minus is being LR

Mercedes announced EQS US pricing with 3 easy to understand option packages (from $105k-$125k before tax credits b/c MB hasn't hit the limit yet), 2 years of free fast charging (but not the Tesla network) and comparable range.

That's pretty interesting. I don't need crazy speed, and this just looks so much better, like 10x better. But the App control just isn't comparable too. I've been waiting for my plaid 10+ months, and my Sept date on a white int/CF/19"/FSD keeps getting pushed that I am not expecting it now in Q3. We'll see but now there is a very real choice at the same budget. But EQS is just as likely to have large delays I suppose.

I think

My wife's a peach and said the same thing as @Phlier 's wife AFTER she rejected my offer to buy her a new Mercedes because I am so deserving 😍. She then said I deserve a new remodeled garage for my new car. Since the garage is where I spend time, I thought WOW (maybe I really am deserving).

Next thing I know, I agreed to re-landscape the front yard to fix a possible drainage issue when it rains that our contractor said needs to be fixed before he puts in the new epoxy floor. This led to discovering a plumbing issue which somehow led to me agreeing to remodel part of the house (because we have to do work already) and I still don't have a car!

This delay is killing me! If I just got the car around the time I ordered it, I would be enjoying it and not making myself vulnerable over-thinking everything car related (PPF and ceramic which I never had on any of my cars in 3+ decades/ garage remodel for a garage I enjoyed unchanged for 20 years).

My wife is truly a treasure and a mad genius, especially if she gave me the go ahead to order the Tesla and garage with a plan to get the new landscape and remodel 🧐
My wife gets a puppy.