Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to TF, but how does one figure out who their SA is? I dread trying to call the local SC to ask as I always end up in a phone maze over there. The last two times I ordered a car a local SA contacted me by email within days. It's been 2 months this time around with a blank EDD. Trying to really decide whether to turn in the current leased S as I await the new.

Two random questions today as (for the third time) I reach the 1 month mark out from my delivery window, now Nov 14-Dec 4...

1) Anyone still playing the lowest interest rate game for a 60-month loan? It looks like rates for most accessible (e.g. CU but not financing have moved to 150-175bps from the summer lows. Stanford CU now advertising 174bps. Anyone recently secured 150 or lower? BAML is offering 179 and is easy to get for me so I'm tempted by the path of least resistance, but I want the spread...
Whatever you get, if you ca get an approved loan you can mail it to [email protected] to get them to match it (which will then be the path of least resistance AND the lowest rate... but it does require two credit pulls, at least)

2) I asked this a while back but didn't get an answer from an owner. My Model 3 headlights are amazing; how disappointed will I be by the Model S headlights? I live in a city so "average or better" is fine, but I hate dim headlights - they stress me out.
The lights are not bad at all, even in dark rural areas BUT are not quite up to the high standards that some German manufacturers set.

Agreed--I think Tesla needs to win on performance engineering, not boxing out the competition from charging stations which are occupying a limited resource (the land where they sit). Can you imagine how messy it would be if you could only gas up your ICE at a Ford/Toyota/GM gas station and Mercedes already had a station at every street corner? I can't see the feds letting that stand for very long.

Now they can't force Tesla to change the supercharger design to accommodate other manufacturers, so I don't know how adaptability will work. Who's our resident IP attorney?
Big flaw in your logic, Ford/Toyota/GM didn’t create the gas stations. Tesla created the SCN because no one else wanted to do it. Tesla has every right to control the network however they see fit since they took ALL the risk to build it.

Sorry to TF, but how does one figure out who their SA is? I dread trying to call the local SC to ask as I always end up in a phone maze over there. The last two times I ordered a car a local SA contacted me by email within days. It's been 2 months this time around with a blank EDD. Trying to really decide whether to turn in the current leased S as I await the new.
Don't even bother with your assigned SA. Just call and get through the menu till you select the New Car Purchase option. You'll get connected to the first available agent. They can track your vehicle, change your order options, and answer any questions your assigned SA can answer.

The only caveat to this is your delivery appointment. Make sure your assigned SA contacts you for that. Their may be specific requirements for your state that a random agent won't know. For me, I was supposed to bring a blank check for the DMV registration and did not know.

Whatever you get, if you ca get an approved loan you can mail it to [email protected] to get them to match it (which will then be the path of least resistance AND the lowest rate... but it does require two credit pulls, at least)
I think they stopped the rate matching program as of last week.

I'm averaging 300 Wh/Mile... any tips on dropping that number?
If 95%+ of your time is spent on highway or interstates, the #1 thing to do is to make sure your cold weather, or starting tire pressure is at maximum, which according to the tag on the driver's side door on my vehicle is 45 psi. This is the most important thing to do even if you just drive around town. Don't be concerned if you notice the pressure approaching 50 psi on a very hot day. #2 is "anticipating" stop signs and stop lights if you are not on the highway or interstate. If you can see a stop light or sign 1/2-3/4 mile away or you know you will be approaching one, let off the accelerator and modulate it so that you are neither regenerating or consuming battery power. As you get closer to the stop, modulate the accelerator pedal to regenerate battery power, showing a little green, and slow down very slowly as you approach the stop, as traffic will allow. If another driver looks like he is following you so closely that he may want to park in your trunk, you might want to rethink this technique? Basically, you can recover a LOT more battery power regenerating a little bit over a longer time than letting off the accelerator completely and regenerating at maximum for a few seconds when you are 50 feet from the stop. Using only these two techniques, I regularly achieve anywhere from 240-260 when driving at speeds 60 mph or slower and 260-280 at speeds up to 65-75 mph. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
If 95%+ of your time is spent on highway or interstates, the #1 thing to do is to make sure your cold weather, or starting tire pressure is at maximum, which according to the tag on the driver's side door on my vehicle is 45 psi. This is the most important thing to do even if you just drive around town. Don't be concerned if you notice the pressure approaching 50 psi on a very hot day. #2 is "anticipating" stop signs and stop lights if you are not on the highway or interstate. If you can see a stop light or sign 1/2-3/4 mile away or you know you will be approaching one, let off the accelerator and modulate it so that you are neither regenerating or consuming battery power. As you get closer to the stop, modulate the accelerator pedal to regenerate battery power, showing a little green, and slow down very slowly as you approach the stop, as traffic will allow. If another driver looks like he is following you so closely that he may want to park in your trunk, you might want to rethink this technique? Basically, you can recover a LOT more battery power regenerating a little bit over a longer time than letting off the accelerator completely and regenerating at maximum for a few seconds when you are 50 feet from the stop. Using only these two techniques, I regularly achieve anywhere from 240-260 when driving at speeds 60 mph or slower and 260-280 at speeds up to 65-75 mph. I hope this helps.
thanks, this is great stuff!
I'm wondering, it makes sense to me a jack rabbit start will hurt your MPG (or watts per mile) or whatever energy measurements we have.
I get going fast has wind resistance.
I also get that in an ICE, you rev the engine high, and it has to shift gears and maybe there are losses there.
I'm not sure why/what happens in an EV - I imagine more current/amperage draw - maybe in an inefficient way?
Then we should have regenerative, which is not 100% recapture but something.
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or musings as to why and what. and watt. thanks! :)

Thanks, man. I might come back to that if delivery is pushed much further out. I am probably not too far away - I'm across the river from NYC.

I was thinking that once most deliveries have happened we could organize a TMC-MS meetup. I'd be happy to organize. It would be great to meet, share experiences, ideas, and also to do the victory laps.
Mt Kisco SC?

For those who have their cars, when did your VIN come relative to your EDD? Mine is 10/24 - 11/04. Assuming that is real, when is a realistic timeframe to expect a VIN?
On 8/7, I got a date range of 8/21-9/4 after being blank for months. I got the VIN on 8/13 and took delivery on 8/25.

This conversation happened between a coworker and I. It's going to take awhile before everyone realizes what Tesla pulled off this year.

Capture.JPG

thanks, this is great stuff!
I'm wondering, it makes sense to me a jack rabbit start will hurt your MPG (or watts per mile) or whatever energy measurements we have.
I get going fast has wind resistance.
I also get that in an ICE, you rev the engine high, and it has to shift gears and maybe there are losses there.
I'm not sure why/what happens in an EV - I imagine more current/amperage draw - maybe in an inefficient way?
Then we should have regenerative, which is not 100% recapture but something.
I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or musings as to why and what. and watt. thanks! :)
As I said, tire pressure is paramount. Don't be complacent and NOT check the tire pressure at least every week! Check it more often if you have temperature swings up or down 10° or more. I have found that just 1 psi pressure lower (44 psi) to have a detrimental effect on the wh/mile. And 1 psi higher cold tire pressure could have a detrimental effect on tire wear, although you might see higher wh/mile. I think we all know that incorrect tire wear will have a much more negative effect on our wallet than the positive effect of lower wh/mile. Almost forgot, in my earlier post, I mention anticipating stops while NOT on the interstate and to regenerate battery power a little bit over a longer time. While ON the interstate, anticipate that off ramp! It's the perfect time to regenerate a little over a long time by keeping the meter in the "green" as you slowly decelerate approaching the ramp and while on the off ramp. Again, try not to hinder traffic that may be behind you as you apply this technique.

Last edited:
CZ
So it's a marketing thing. It has all the tools to do it, but doesn't because that costs $10k. Fair enough. Right before the light, traffic stopped. I was behind another car so AP stopped and started again with traffic. It knew it should stop at the light, but basically said "You didn't pay for this. Hit the brake or I'm running you into the intersection." 🤣
Yeah and as @lolachampcar pointed out, I not only decided to pay 10k for it, but have to audition to use it. Not going to lie, I’m questioning my thought process.

CZ

Yeah and as @lolachampcar pointed out, I not only decided to pay 10k for it, but have to audition to use it. Not going to lie, I’m questioning my thought process.
Not actually true. You have to audition to use the beta version, not the full blown version, if ever that comes out in our lifetimes. If one paid for FSD, one will not have to pony up again for the actual product.

Big flaw in your logic, Ford/Toyota/GM didn’t create the gas stations. Tesla created the SCN because no one else wanted to do it. Tesla has every right to control the network however they see fit since they took ALL the risk to build it.
Fair point there on ownership, but that's kind of the point. I don't believe that the feds will allow Tesla to box out competition in the long run regarding charging, even if they own the charging infrastructure. I think they'll deem it "not in the best interest of consumers" and, like @AnselmDante mentioned, require compatibility in charging ports so that charging networks are fungible.