Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh interesting detail I just noticed on the MS config page now: there is now an underline under the "200 mph" script, and if you hit that link it says:
"The indicated Plaid top speed requires paid hardware upgrades." Nothing new, but they are making sure people know this fact! Good move I think! :)

Oh interesting detail I just noticed on the MS config page now: there is now an underline under the "200 mph" script, and if you hit that link it says:
"The indicated Plaid top speed requires paid hardware upgrades." Nothing new, but they are making sure people know this fact! Good move I think! :)
This is actually pretty new. It was not there when I ordered my Plaid. Previously it said something to the effect of with proper wheels and tires and a future software update. There was nothing about having to purchase hardware.

This is actually pretty new. It was not there when I ordered my Plaid. Previously it said something to the effect of with proper wheels and tires and a future software update. There was nothing about having to purchase hardware.
Oh yeah for sure! When the carbon brakes were announced like 2-3 weeks ago, the footnote in the specs area changed to "with paid hardware upgrades." So this is just reiterating that. :)

Reactions: Bull and jebinc
A “good move” would have been to make that known at the time the vehicle was originally made available for sale.

Which they chose not to do. So…more like bait and switch.

Reactions: aerodyne and AMPd
A “good move” would have been to make that known at the time the vehicle was originally made available for sale.

Which they chose not to do. So…more like bait and switch.
So, perhaps only a few thousand cars were delivered before this change.

Tesla legal must have weighed the odds and cost of legal action, and decided, nahh, we can get away with it...screw those whining early adopters, they are such PITAs, always demanding what they paid for...

I was notified that I can (or need to?) pick up my car tomorrow. However, I am traveling abroad and cannot make it. How can I defer the delivery? I cannot find this choice on the website. If I can defer, will I be put at the end of the line again?

Thanks!
Call your SA or reply to the text/email. You. Will. Not. Be. Put. At The. End. Of. The Line.....I know 2x.

Call your SA or reply to the text/email. You. Will. Not. Be. Put. At The. End. Of. The Line.....I know 2x.
Thanks for your quick response. I don't have a SA because I put my order online, but someone sent an email to me confirming the pick-up. I have replied :D Is it the correct way to do it? I am afraid that they cancel my order because I don't show up...

What do you mean by "2x"?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Thanks for your quick response. I don't have a SA because I put my order online, but someone sent an email to me confirming the pick-up. I have replied :D Is it the correct way to do it? I am afraid that they cancel my order because I don't show up...

What do you mean by "2x"?
Yes. That’s is the way. They won’t cancel your order without discussing with you unless you explicitly state you want to cancel.

2x means I’ve turned down my allocated order after getting a VIN twice already because of travels.

Hm. Is there anyway to tell Tesla I’ll happily pick up the car in Fremont if it gets me the car quicker?
I would love if every person who ordered before me would get their LR first, but obviously that just isn’t the case. Being in SoCal it’s easy to get up there for me. Wonder if that is even an option for EoY/EoQ.
We asked our Advisor the same thing, he said Fremont has no facility to do it. Would make for a great road trip home.

So, perhaps only a few thousand cars were delivered before this change.

Tesla legal must have weighed the odds and cost of legal action, and decided, nahh, we can get away with it...screw those whining early adopters, they are such PITAs, always demanding what they paid for...
Well, for what it’s worth, I recall reading several of the, well respected in these parts, pros say the Plaid struggles, even at the current limited speed of ~165 mph. Steering weakness and piss poor brakes are the limiting factors. We know how Tesla is going to fix the brakes - by selling some folks a $20k brake package. The steering lameness issue, I’m not sure what hardware they plan to sell to address that. These pros, IIRC, said they wouldn’t want to take the Plaid up to 200 mph with that steering response, or lack thereof.

Well, for what it’s worth, I recall reading several of the, well respected in these parts, pros say the Plaid struggles, even at the current limited speed of ~165 mph. Steering weakness and piss poor brakes are the limiting factors. We know how Tesla is going to fix the brakes - by selling some folks a $20k brake package. The steering lameness issue, I’m not sure what hardware they plan to sell to address that. These pros, IIRC, said they wouldn’t want to take the Plaid up to 200 mph with that steering response, or lack thereof.
Here’s one of the recent articles on this.

I read that article too. For what it's worth, C&D and Edmunds test have one thing in common, and that's Cargos Lago. Now FYI, I've been watching him for over 4 years now and really like the guy (he's an excellent journalist), but he is the only one I've seen say they Plaid is unstable at those speeds. Perhaps I've missed some, but people like Tesla Plaid Channel who repeatedly take the car to 150+mph have never complained about it.

Now regarding how Tesla could address this, I think it would be quite simple, depending on the direct cause. As @lolachampcar has IIRC highlighted in the past, sometimes the yoke combined with the harsh acceleration will result in driver induced oscillations, causing the car to feel more unstable than it actually is. I think the main problem Carlos had with the car isn't exactly the wandering itself, but rather the steering feel, which compounded any wandering that may have been caused by the yoke. So it's likely that Tesla could send out an OTA update, and just firm the steering up more, and that would fix it. At the very least, I think it's what Tesla should try first before making any major changes.

Last edited: