Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, new here and been lurking for a few weeks. Got a call from Tesla today and they said there is a car that matched me but had repair work done. No accident or structural damage. But 12K of repair. Mainly paint and remove and assembly in order to paint. Would you guys take it? I feel that it went through quality check and now should have less issues. The guy said the repair might show up on Carfax. But it doesn’t make sense since it wasn’t in an accident.

That article looks to be from 2020

PUBLISHED SAT, DEC 12 2020 4:30 PM EST
Eek! I just saw a "new" article last week so maybe I posted the incorrect link above. I'll see if I can find a legitimate recent news source. It's possible the one I saw last week was quoting last year's article. Searching now and even though I have filters set for the past couple weeks, several do reference last year's article. :oops:

Hey everyone. Just got a call from Tesla that they found a match for me today as I am in my current delivery window. It is a 2021 Oct build but there's a catch. It sounds like some pre-delivery cosmetic repairs were done and they are taking an additional $3k off my price (ordered in May pre price hikes). Could be car was damaged while offloading from trailer or a customer decline? Also not clear if such repairs will turn up on carfax. Presume that any vin match today still means I can decline at delivery if the car doesn't look right. Anyone else get similar phone calls this week?
Seems like we got the same call since we're both in the Bay Area. I saw it as an option to get a car that went through great quality control and should have no issues. Or maybe all the re-assembly will cause more problems. The Carfax is a bit concerning but even then, it should show up as a service. Worst case, it will be clear it was done pre-sale and no accident.

Tesla called me back and said that it won't turn up on carfax. I also learned that my delivery window was pushed back to March - April prior to the phone call. So I will be getting a car this year now that is a scratch and repair and a 2021 vs a 2022. I can still refuse at delivery if it doesn't check out.
How did Tesla determine that it won't show up on the Carfax? The person who called me told me that they are just not sure and it's a risk I would be taking. Plus will need to sign an acknowledgement that repairs were done. They sent me the repair estimate and it seems like just body work.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
How did Tesla determine that it won't show up on the Carfax? The person who called me told me that they are just not sure and it's a risk I would be taking. Plus will need to sign an acknowledgement that repairs were done. They sent me the repair estimate and it seems like just body work.
Not sure :( in all the paperwork I am seeing online there are no disclosures. But perhaps it will pop up when I go pick up. I do recall signing something similar when I bought a loaner in 2018. When I sold that car there were no indications it was a loaner on carfax. So yeah Tesla probably doesn't know and we are rolling the dice to save 3k and to get a car this year vs next as elon pushes to hit his numbers before end of year.

Not sure :( in all the paperwork I am seeing online there are no disclosures. But perhaps it will pop up when I go pick up. I do recall signing something similar when I bought a loaner in 2018. When I sold that car there were no indications it was a loaner on carfax. So yeah Tesla probably doesn't know and we are rolling the dice to save 3k and to get a car this year vs next as elon pushes to hit his numbers before end of year.No

The body shop doing the repairs reports the work to Carfax. Did Tesla do the repair work in house and then not report it?

Quick update here. When I spoke to the Tesla rep, he mentioned the Tesla I was getting was am October build. I just checked the VIN assigned to me now and it is a MF430. Correct me if I am wrong but that is an early refresh S from back in May correct and there were problems.......so this car could be a Fremont back lot car that has been reworked 6+ months

Hey guys, new here and been lurking for a few weeks. Got a call from Tesla today and they said there is a car that matched me but had repair work done. No accident or structural damage. But 12K of repair. Mainly paint and remove and assembly in order to paint. Would you guys take it? I feel that it went through quality check and now should have less issues. The guy said the repair might show up on Carfax. But it doesn’t make sense since it wasn’t in an accident.
No *!% way.

Quick update here. When I spoke to the Tesla rep, he mentioned the Tesla I was getting was am October build. I just checked the VIN assigned to me now and it is a MF430. Correct me if I am wrong but that is an early refresh S from back in May correct and there were problems.......so this car could be a Fremont back lot car that has been reworked 6+ months
I would not touch this car... request the full story before going forward.

Run Forest, run!

Run Forest, run!
giphy.gif