Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like 2021.44.30 releases are picking up! Waiting to see release notes for the S! Unfortunately, all are on 3 /Y models. Zero S or X models.

898F666E-5921-4E0C-A404-F80071B982F6.png

I haven’t been on here for awhile but I promised a comparison when we received my wife’s Mercedes EQS 450. We picked it up yesterday.

Customer service. Mercedes wins by a mile. They gave us an estimated delivery of mid 2022. They kept us informed at every step. They delivered far earlier than predicted. I like under promising and over delivering.

Looks. This is obviously subjective. I think the MS is much sexier looking but the EQS looks more luxurious. Old man/young man. I’m an old man and I like luxury but I haven’t forgotten sexy. I call it a draw.

Performance. No contest. Tesla wins by a mile. Even in sports mode the EQS feels sluggish at over 6 seconds 0-60.

Auto pilot. Very comparable. I do not have FSD so I can’t compare there. But with auto pilot the cars are about the same. The one thing the EQS has that Tesla doesn’t is lane change on turn signal. When I do that auto pilot shuts off. Am I missing something?

Range. Although the Tesla is rated at 405 miles and the EQS is rated at 350, I give the EQS the edge at freeway speed. My MSLR will get just over 300 miles at freeway speed (75-80 mph). On our 350 mile drive home we traveled 290 miles before charging. We had 18% SoC left. I think the EQS has a range at freeway speed of 320-330 which is very good.

Controls/AI. I give the edge to Tesla. That may be because I’m much more familiar with Tesla. The EQS will do everything the Tesla will do but it requires more buttons or maneuvers to accomplish. I may change my opinion after more experience with the EQS but I doubt it.

Luxury/comfort. EQS. No surprise. The seats have several levels of massage. The cabin is very spacious both front and rear.

The EQS hyper screen is pretty amazing. It allows the passenger to do anything the driver can do and then transfer it to the driver’s screen. And it looks cool.

I am not a sound guy but I can’t tell the difference between them.

The bottom line is no surprise. Tesla is head and shoulders better at performance. EQS is head and shoulders better at luxury and comfort.

My biggest surprise was range. The EQS is really good and the vehicles are very comparable.

PS. My wife loves the EQS. She’s been a Mercedes fan for a long time. But I’d take the MS over the EQS every day of the week. Just different strokes.

Last edited:
I haven’t been on here for awhile but I promised a comparison when we received my wife’s Mercedes EQS 450. We picked it up yesterday.

Customer service. Mercedes wins by a mile. They gave us an estimated delivery of mid 2022. They kept us informed at every step. They delivered far earlier than predicted. I like under promising and over delivering.

Looks. This is obviously subjective. I think the MS is much sexier looking but the EQS looks more luxurious. Old man/young man. I’m an old man and I like luxury but I haven’t forgotten sexy. I call it a draw.

Performance. No contest. Tesla wins by a mile. Even in sports mode the EQS feels sluggish at over 6 seconds 0-60.

Auto pilot. Very comparable. I do not have FSD so I can’t compare there. But with auto pilot the cars are about the same. The one thing the EQS has that Tesla doesn’t is lane change on turn signal. When I do that auto pilot shuts off. Am I missing something?

Range. Although the Tesla is rated at 405 miles and the EQS is rated at 350, I give the EQS the edge at freeway speed. My MSLR will get just over 300 miles at freeway speed (75-80 mph). On our 350 mile drive home we traveled 290 miles before charging. We had 18% SoC left. I think the EQS has a range at freeway speed of 320-330 which is very good.

Controls/AI. I give the edge to Tesla. That may be because I’m much more familiar with Tesla. The EQS will do everything the Tesla will do but it requires more buttons or maneuvers to accomplish. I may change my opinion after more experience with the EQS but I doubt it.

Luxury/comfort. EQS. No surprise. The seats have several levels of massage. The cabin is very spacious both front and rear.

The EQS hyper screen is pretty amazing. It allows the passenger to do anything the driver can do and then transfer it to the driver’s screen. And it looks cool.

The bottom line is no surprise. Tesla is head and shoulders better at performance. EQS is head and shoulders better at luxury and comfort.

My biggest surprise was range. The EQS is really good and the vehicles are very comparable.

PS. My wife loves the EQS. She’s been a Mercedes fan for a long time. But I’d take the MS over the EQS every day of the week. Just different strokes.
How did you get the Hyperscreen on the EQS 450? When we did the test drive they said it was only available for now on the 580 and wouldn't available on the 450 until next year. I also don't see the option MB build site.

Also curious - how noticeable is the difference in noise / sound isolation?

How did you get the Hyperscreen on the EQS 450? When we did the test drive they said it was only available for now on the 580 and wouldn't available on the 450 until next year. I also don't see the option MB build site.

Also curious - how noticeable is the difference in noise / sound isolation?
I don’t know. But I assure you that we have we have the 450 with the hyper screen.

I think the EQS is a little quieter but not by much. They are pretty comparable.

I enjoyed the write up. Thank you!

Super informative. thank you. And go hogs!

I don’t know. But I assure you that we have we have the 450 with the hyper screen.

I think the EQS is a little quieter but not by much. They are pretty comparable.
Cool, thanks for the information. We were debating for the longest time between these two cars. We got to test drive the EQS 450, but of course Tesla still hasn't made test drives available for the Model S Refresh.

I was most interested in comparing the sound isolation since I've heard that's a major differentiator for the MB. Your comparison is helpful.

In the end we're sticking with the MSLR because my wife doesn't want a car that stands out. We live in Fremont, CA and there's plenty of other Teslas around to blend in with :).

Cool, thanks for the information. We were debating for the longest time between these two cars. We got to test drive the EQS 450, but of course Tesla still hasn't made test drives available for the Model S Refresh.

I was most interested in comparing the sound isolation since I've heard that's a major differentiator for the MB. Your comparison is helpful.

In the end we're sticking with the MSLR because my wife doesn't want a car that stands out. We live in Fremont, CA and there's plenty of other Teslas around to blend in with :).
I’ll be glad to let you drive my Model S. Just come to Little Rock!

Tesla AP can only change lanes when prompted (or even automatically) if you bought FSD. That package includes a bunch of other AP enhancements, as well. If you previously had a car with EAP ("Extended Autopilot"), this did include the ability to use the turn signal to initiate AP lane changes, or enable AP to make changes itself, when certain conditions were met (which you could dial in via settings).

I do agree that on a cursory impression, many companies' self-driving suites seem to approach AP -- but I do find Tesla's AP far more mature across a range of conditions and situations. It's not perfect -- but Tesla's eggs are pretty much in the FSD basket at this point.

Last edited: