Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GUYS. LOOK AT THE LIGHTS!

Official photo from Tesla!
Are the updates only on the Plaid?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So, for whatever it's worth I was able to get my loaner X to use FSD a bit last night (version 9 I guess, not the beta). the experience was terrifying. Like nut-puckering and I was really unhappy.
It allowed FSD for one of the roads I was on - who knows, it might have allowed on Monday when I picked it up, but I didn't see the option. anyway, i hit the FSD option by my destination...and nothing. then i had the brains to pull the autopilot stalk to me twice, and it was show time.
this was a 3 line in each direction road, that had some traffic lights.
I think someone else described FSD as a driver ed student, or a new driver - I'd agree with that. the acceleration was delayed, and the slowing down was also delayed and then harsh.
I thought it would look at the car in front of me, but it seemed more interested in the traffic light. it did warn or say it was stopping based on light in 600 feet or something like that.
anyway, after about 20 seconds i had to shut it down - it was miserable.
I had no confidence with it. I think it might have worked much better on a mostly empty highway, versus stop and go. Maybe with more usage i'd have been more comfortable.
Anwyay, at least now I feel even more justified not laying out the $10k for it when I had the "chance." The FSD beta looks very promising, but even then it is far from FSD - it is absolutely helpful driving, but I could see myself being lulled into a false sense of security.
I just saw the video today of a youtuber touting it, and how safe it was, before they veered towards a bicycle and the driver miraculously corrected - I can see a real chance to have relied on FSD and hit that cyclist.
anyway, that's my 2 minute rant. cool tech, great idea, just doesn't work...yet.
for 2017 (year of the X) it might have been revolutionary, but i woudln't let it run for more than a minute - literally, i have no idea how that guy years ago was playing minecraft as a driver.

Easy folks. Remember, this is the same Tesla that at one point, showed the refresh on their website with a round steering wheel, prompting everyone to assume Yoke would be an option...

So not sure we can go by photos on the website as gospel for the USA market..

Easy folks. Remember, this is the same Tesla that at one point, showed the refresh on their website with a round steering wheel, prompting everyone to assume Yoke would be an option...

So not sure we can go by photos on the website as gospel for the USA market..
Dude, come on lol. The round wheel was NEVER on the config page. It was behind it. In the source code. People who never knew to look never saw it. This is very different. This is public. And these lights definitely are coming to NA. These lights are so different. It's not like a few reflectors here and some little LEDs there. This is an entirely new design, with an entirely new trim bar beneath it. And being that this tech will likely be cheaper to build as it is now no longer using 2011 tech, it makes zero sense not to incorporate these new lights into all Model S production.

Last edited:
I understand. If my car suffered from this issue I would likely feel the same way. I'm stuck coping with a ripple in my windshield that they've agreed to replace but aren't confident that they can find a better one. I also have what sounds like a fastener, socket, or rubber ball that is rolling around somewhere in my car. Almost comical. Hopefully it's in the front tray of the car and not trapped somewhere where they can't get to it.
One can never have enough 10mm sockets...

Dude, come on lol. The round wheel was NEVER on the config page. It was behind it. In the source code. People who never knew to look never saw it. This is very different. This is public. And these lights definitely are coming to NA. These lights are so different. It's not like a few reflectors here and some little LEDs there. This is an entirely new design, with an entirely new trim bar beneath it. And being that this tech will likely be cheaper to build as it is now no longer using 2011 tech, it makes zero sense not to incorporate these new lights into all Model S production.
Will the matrix headlights accompany the new tail lights as well? Or will they be added later?

GUYS. LOOK AT THE LIGHTS!

Official photo from Tesla!
Woohoo!! This is getting real!

• Love
The new tail lights are nice (and tbh should've been included as part of the refresh to distinguish it), but the new headlights are what really interests me. I've never thought "these headlights aren't good enough", and I drive through some dark wooded areas, but it's always nice to have something better.

I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive (figure ~$2500 per headlight and $1000 per taillight), but I can't help but wonder about retrofit possibilities - the tail lights at least look to be the same size as the outgoing ones.