Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*** Just for those of you excited about the new lights ***

While researching more on the Matrix LED. I found out that Tesla is using Samsung's PixCell LED technology. Interestingly, the photo on Samsung's website looks exactly like the new Model S light with 2 matrix LED. Right one is low beam (with 100 LEDs), left is high beam. Does this look like the new lights on S to you?

Samsung website: PixCell LED | SAMSUNG LED

There are some pretty cool video at the bottom of the webpage that explains more how it functions.

View attachment 777432
Yup, I'd say that looks identical! So cool!🤯

Many variables, including weather. Having said that, in the past two months, as reported by TeslaMate, my efficiency during that period has improved by 25wH/mile since adding the SV104s with summer Pirelli sneakers. I was running the Tempests, w/o Aeros and Conti all seasons prior. Again, not a lot of mileage and mostly 60mph and below.

The 20" I am using is lighter on each corner than the 21 OEM's. I went 285 square and A/S tread (v OEM 265/s95 summer) - that is the biggest reason for my drop. Much more rolling resistance than the OEM 21 setup. Most driving is 70mph on highways.

Now that summer is coming back, will go back to POEM setup or a new 20" with 265/295 summer tires.

Yup, I'd say that looks identical! So cool!🤯
Now I also understand why these lights did not appear when refresh S was introduced last summer.

Tesla inked the deal with Samsung 10 mo. ago and the PixCell (Matrix) lights were announced by Samsung around April 2021. Just not enough time to get it implemented into the new S.

Now I also understand why these lights did not appear when refresh S was introduced last summer.

Tesla inked the deal with Samsung 10 mo. ago and the PixCell (Matrix) lights were announced by Samsung around April 2021. Just not enough time to get it implemented into the new S.

Yup! That makes sense! Finally we know!😃

Reactions: mikemi
Sure, of course. But isn’t it the exact same tech, using Samsung?
Good observation. Hella, which is the German auto lighting supplier for Tesla was already using Samsung components. So I don’t know exactly what was being used by Model 3’s matrix headlight already, maybe a slightly earlier version?

Here is the Samsung announcement on PixCell last April.

Man this update looks GOOD.

1646594897655.png

I ordered my first Tesla so all this numbers are new to me. I make a similar trip between Pennsylvania and Florida several times a year. How those numbers translate to range? Since we retired we stopped driving non stop. We now take 4 hour shifts. Get gas and switch drivers. We also add an overnight that would leave us about 6 hours for the last day.
Roughly, the MS has about 100,000kw of capacity. An average of 350kw/mile translates into about 285 miles of range while and average of 285kw/mile translates into about 350 miles of range. Why the efficiency discrepancy? Well, the efficiency and range varies greatly based on the speed, temperature, incline, etc. just like it would in a gas car. The LR's 405 mile total range is based on optimistic ideal driving conditions...flat, moderate temps, normal speed limits. Any variation can cause drops (sometimes severe) in the estimated range.

For example, I'm on the road from Houston to Santa Fe (1000 miles) and back quite often in my current 2016 MS with a total of 267 miles of rated range. The best range is always on the return between Tucumcari NM and Amarillo, dropping in elevation, generally with a bit of a tailwind, in the spring or fall. In that case the 115 mile trip uses about 90 miles of my range at 85mph. The worst is the leg is in the opposite direction with a headwind, a few thousand feet climb, in chilly temps. In that case, the 115 mile trip uses about 200 miles of range at 80mph.

I know that's a long winded response, but the gist is that real world driving conditions affect the range considerably. That said, there are now so many superchargers out there that U.S. range anxiety shouldn't exist with a new MS and half a brain. After six years in my MS, I would never go back to an ICE. On my trips, I love to drive for a couple hours and watch the scenery change, stop to stretch my legs for 15-20 minutes while I'm adding a few electrons, then repeat. The quiet, smooth drive combined with basic autopilot makes the trip far more enjoyable and less tiring than in any of my previous vehicles.

Hope you get your car soon and feel the same way that I do. Cheers!

I’ve been running 20” sv104 (Michelin pilot Sport 4 all seasons) from the beginning (300 miles) and have put on about 2500 miles. My best wh/mile is about 285 while driving in chill mode at a sleepy 65. With the AC turned off, 70 degreees weather and no major elevation change

So yes, I think range is definitely affected. My average for the 2500 miles is 330wh/mile
Folks, the BIG driver in range and efficiency re: wheels is AERODYNAMIC drag.

At highway speeds the top of your tire/wheel combo is traveling at twice the speed of your car, but in the wrong direction. Thus, wheels CAN generate massive aero drag, hence Tesla's huge focus on wheel and wheel cover design. Heck, even Arachnid 2 is super "flush" as compared to Arachnid 1 wheels, yet the range hit is still rather large as compared to the base, 19" wheels w/aero covers.

Yes, rotational mass is also a drag, so to speak, in moving up to a larger wheel (metal weighs more than rubber), but I suspect the real killer here is the aerodynamic component.

So my EDD was pushed from March 4 - March 14 to June/July just this week. But I just noticed that my exact build (color, wheels, options, etc) is now available in the “existing inventory” as a “demo” vehicle. It wasn’t there last week. Seems like more than a coincidence.

Is a Demo being test driven by potential buyers?

Did they find too many quality issues and decided not to sell it to a customer?
The only "demo" Palladium MS I've ever seen is one that was actually a now "Used" Plaid that was recovered by Tesla (for being paid for with bad funds).

It was sold within a week or so; I've seen no demo MS's since.

Any one else seen one?

I can't imagine them having demo MS's while the wait list is as long as it is--why bother with this waste of resources when buyers are lining up to buy your cars?

The only "demo" Palladium MS I've ever seen is one that was actually a now "Used" Plaid that was recovered by Tesla (for being paid for with bad funds).

It was sold within a week or so; I've seen no demo MS's since.

Any one else seen one?

I can't imagine them having demo MS's while the wait list is as long as it is--why bother with this waste of resources when buyers are lining up to buy your cars?
Yah. I agree. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s available as a “demo”.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yah. I agree. Doesn’t change the fact that it’s available as a “demo”.
I see a handful of demo in the 42 US inventory. Beats me if there were demos or not. Some had 15 miles, but some has 100+ miles.

Scroll thru and the demo one will be listed as demo

• Informative
Reactions: EndlessPlaid