Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD is 4/8 to 5/6. Every morning I expect to see it moved again. I did call my Tesla advisor and he told me I have been "soft-matched" to a Model S and should receive a VIN within days and my car by the end of the month.
We shall see.
I will have to remember the soft-match when I check in later this week. Please post when you get a VIN. I am turning my lease in on Tuesday so it is getting down to the wire.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Evening all, been some time since I posted but continue to follow the trials and tribulations of Tesla delivery and ownership. Great to see the positivity of @EndlessPlaid and many others that I respect here. 5k miles and 9 moths in and have loved my MSLR but today was a sad day, some idiot ran a red right turn and took my right wing out, the good news no harm to anybody, the panel gaps arent the worst I have seen but sad all the same… hoping I can get new headlights, I’ll also ask for the new hinges(yes I know irs a joke) I’m good with the rear lights as they do differentiate from a 3 or Y and most importantly they were not damaged. While I’m here I‘ll share my car hire experience seeing family in the UK, a Hyundai Inonic Hybrid , 50-60 was slower than 0-60 in the LR, between that and getting covid on day 3 of the trip its not been a great 3 weeks but worse things happening in the world so its all good… 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sorry to hear about your incident. Bumper covers are easy. Looks like it's totally drivable and they can order parts while you keep the car. Don't expect Tesla or AutoBody to touch the headlights. They just won't. Different programming, probably different wiring, etc. Was your hood damaged? BTW, the OLD headlights for Model X were $1200 each. I hit a deer in my MSM X. I paid out of pocket, Bumper, Hood, Grill bits and Headlight. Cost about $5000.00 and it was absolutely perfect. Didn't take that long. Body shop and Tesla were both great. I got a headlight on Ebay because they were back ordered, only thing wrong with original was one mount point cracked. :) Dash cam caught the whole thing on Video. Not pretty.

Sorry to hear about your incident. Bumper covers are easy. Looks like it's totally drivable and they can order parts while you keep the car. Don't expect Tesla or AutoBody to touch the headlights. They just won't. Different programming, probably different wiring, etc. Was your hood damaged? BTW, the OLD headlights for Model X were $1200 each. I hit a deer in my MSM X. I paid out of pocket, Bumper, Hood, Grill bits and Headlight. Cost about $5000.00 and it was absolutely perfect. Didn't take that long. Body shop and Tesla were both great. I got a headlight on Ebay because they were back ordered, only thing wrong with original was one mount point cracked. :) Dash cam caught the whole thing on Video. Not pretty.
Thank you , yeah all,good, it’s a little worse than the picture shows but not awful. I was joking about the headlights. As long as they put them back in the right place I’m fine. its 100% on the other guys insurance , sure it will be fine, good excuse to post and check in with you all. Best to all of your here!

My EDD is 4/8 to 5/6. Every morning I expect to see it moved again. I did call my Tesla advisor and he told me I have been "soft-matched" to a Model S and should receive a VIN within days and my car by the end of the month.
We shall see.
So how many on this forum have been verbally "soft matched"? Is it really a thing?

And if so did you actually get a VIN around this time or was it just lip service?

I have never been "soft matched" but have been told many times that I should be getting my VIN soon...all lip service.

Thank you , yeah all,good, it’s a little worse than the picture shows but not awful. I was joking about the headlights. As long as they put them back in the right place I’m fine. its 100% on the other guys insurance , sure it will be fine, good excuse to post and check in with you all. Best to all of your here!
Make sure you go for lost value. The reason I paid out of pocket for my deer hit was to avoid a carfax ding. Doesn't matter who's fault or how severe. If you go through insurance you'll get a carfax ding and if you trade it within say the first 5 years you'll get hit in the pocket. Also if you switch insurance (common with Tesla owners ;) ) If you have ANY accident on your record, no matter who's fault it is, no matter how severe, your rate will be higher. it won't go up if you stay with your current insurance though.

You have maybe $5000.00 damage and as much and $5000 or more in lost value. Doesn't matter that it's minor. It no longer has a clean record. Evidence that it was minor is useless.

I lost $5000.00 on a trade doing a claim with the other guys insurance on a $1200.00 mirror. And I was trading in towards a Tesla and had to switch insurance. That cost me a few $1000 too because I had an "accident" on my history. The "no fault" $1200.00 claim cost me $8000.00 out of pocket.

Make sure you go for lost value. The reason I paid out of pocket for my deer hit was to avoid a carfax ding. Doesn't matter who's fault or how severe. If you go through insurance you'll get a carfax ding and if you trade it within say the first 5 years you'll get hit in the pocket. Also if you switch insurance (common with Tesla owners ;) ) If you have ANY accident on your record, no matter who's fault it is, no matter how severe, your rate will be higher. it won't go up if you stay with your current insurance though.

You have maybe $5000.00 damage and as much and $5000 or more in lost value. Doesn't matter that it's minor. It no longer has a clean record. Evidence that it was minor is useless.

I lost $5000.00 on a trade doing a claim with the other guys insurance on a $1200.00 mirror. And I was trading in towards a Tesla and had to switch insurance. That cost me a few $1000 too because I had an "accident" on my history. The "no fault" $1200.00 claim cost me $8000.00 out of pocket.
100% agree, I already have that with my insurance guy, totally on that

So how many on this forum have been verbally "soft matched"? Is it really a thing?

And if so did you actually get a VIN around this time or was it just lip service?

I have never been "soft matched" but have been told many times that I should be getting my VIN soon...all lip service.
My unofficial opinion.

I feel like soft matched is an arbitrary place holder of a build they expect to be slotted but may be soft matched with 20 other people too. It eventually gets a vin and assigned to one lucky person based on “logistics” aka Monkey.

I have been soft matched more times than I can count. Means nothing IMO.

My .02.

My unofficial opinion.

I feel like soft matched is an arbitrary place holder of a build they expect to be slotted but may be soft matched with 20 other people too. It eventually gets a vin and assigned to one lucky person based on “logistics” aka Monkey.

I have been soft matched more times than I can count. Means nothing IMO.

My .02.
I was afraid of that. What is your take on accepting a car someone else rejected “due to a financing issue“?

Good questions. There was a ton of left over compound. I suspect the botch job was to cover up something at the SC.

Signs I missed
  • Missing spoiler
  • Excessive compound
  • Strange shaping of trunk on left
  • Misalignment of trunk on right
  • Condensation in left light
  • Swirls on trunk and nowhere else on car
It’s definitely the clear coat. See the pixs below. CC survived the paint correction but started delaminating with the application of the PPF.
View attachment 790500View attachment 790501View attachment 790502View attachment 790503

Know I’m coming off a bit grumpy and un-EndlessPlaid like. But I am quite torqued. It will all be fine in the end but the added gyrations and wasted time this is causing is a bit much.

On a plus note. I originally ordered MSM + White. I’ve always loved Red, so this swap of exterior colors was a windfall.

However was a bit reticent about the Black. Today I saw an X in MSM + White at the shop next to mine. Looked great but, I prefer my new interior.

Why? I hadn’t noticed this before, but I dislike the cooling perforations in the white. They are not as prominent on the black. And the black striping against the white on the Plaid is not to my taste.

Rationalizations I know. But that’s how we get by, yes? :)

Good questions. There was a ton of left over compound. I suspect the botch job was to cover up something at the SC.

Signs I missed
  • Missing spoiler
  • Excessive compound
  • Strange shaping of trunk on left
  • Misalignment of trunk on right
  • Condensation in left light
  • Swirls on trunk and nowhere else on car
It’s definitely the clear coat. See the pixs below. CC survived the paint correction but started delaminating with the application of the PPF.
View attachment 790500View attachment 790501View attachment 790502View attachment 790503
EoQ job.

That is truly painful. I think they lied to you about this car just missing a spoiler, and not a reject.

I think they skipped the spoiler install because of the clear coat issue, and kicked it down the road to the SvC.

More on this later.
And we did talk about all this in the other thread OP put up when trying to decide whether or not to take this EoQ offer last week. I can’t find the thread, but it’s out there as a caution for others next quarter.

Really sucks to see this happen to someone, and to also see the “Loyalty Advisor” be as uninformed or deceitful as any other SA. Really sad.

“Diminished value” is the legal term used by insurers. File a “diminished value claim” against the person’s insurance (who hit you). And never settle the personal injury claim (even if there is none) until the property and diminished value claims are settled to your satisfaction.

Ok folks, here it comes, a bit of a rant. But not all bad if you stick with me, skip to the end if TL;DR...

18 months since my original plaid plus order. A year since I cancelled same.

6 months since I placed a LR order. (I'm OK with that delay)

In summary, as the song goes, "What a long strange trip it's been"

So, what have I learned, and "Where do we go from here?"

We must admit that the evidence is clear Tesla does not care about us, the early adopters and supports of MX and MY. We have been useful idiots, and our usefulness is near an end.

Even EP will recall the comments, "MS is Dessert". "MX is a faberge egg" "only build them for sentimental reasons" most telling is almost no mention of MS or MX at the last earning call. Sales of the same only 5% of total last quarter. Do you think the board really cares about 5% of production and profits?

Do you think the best and brightest in Fremont do not see the writing on the wall? I suspect not. Top talent brain and resource drain to TX is likey underway, and will continue. Who the hell wants to live in the Bay area in a 2Br condo when the you can have a 5br Mansion in TX?

It's all about the "machine that builds the machine" not panel gaps and peeling clear coat. And the only way forward for an increasing share price since FSD this year is a lie, is to accelerate production of the new Volkswagen, the Texas and German MY. And frankly, that supports the stated company mission better than high end cars for the few.

So should all of us, those on their first MS, and those on their 8th, give up and cancel, or sell their MS?

No, and here's why. In a few years, when every tenth you see car on the road is a M3/MY, and the CT and Roaster II are rare or non-existent, you will be the proud owner of the pinnacle of EV sedan design, albeit perhaps a vibrating one without Carioke and ARNR, a practical and sensible vehicle that is directly traceable to the MS of 2012, a time when we could all be proud of the car and the company!

And we did talk about all this in the other thread OP put up when trying to decide whether or not to take this EoQ offer last week. I can’t find the thread, but it’s out there as a caution for others next quarter.

Really sucks to see this happen to someone, and to also see the “Loyalty Advisor” be as uninformed or deceitful as any other SA. Really sad.

I not sure we know what happened, easy to say someone lied, but easier to imagine that the "Customer facing assets" were never told the truth about this car.

Ok folks, here it comes, a bit of a rant. But not all bad if you stick with me, skip to the end if TL;DR...

18 months since my original plaid plus order. A year since I cancelled same.

6 months since I placed a LR order. (I'm OK with that delay)

In summary, as the song goes, "What a long strange trip it's been"

So, what have I learned, and "Where do we go from here?"

We must admit that the evidence is clear Tesla does not care about us, the early adopters and supports of MX and MY. We have been useful idiots, and our usefulness is near an end.

Even EP will recall the comments, "MS is Dessert". "MX is a faberge egg" "only build them for sentimental reasons" most telling is almost no mention of MS or MX at the last earning call. Sales of the same only 5% of total last quarter. Do you think the board really cares about 5% of production and profits?

Do you think the best and brightest in Fremont do not see the writing on the wall? I suspect not. Top talent brain and resource drain to TX is likey underway, and will continue. Who the hell wants to live in the Bay area in a 2Br condo when the you can have a 5br Mansion in TX?

It's all about the "machine that builds the machine" not panel gaps and peeling clear coat. And the only way forward for an increasing share price since FSD this year is a lie, is to accelerate production of the new Volkswagen, the Texas and German MY. And frankly, that supports the stated company mission better than high end cars for the few.

So should all of us, those on their first MS, and those on their 8th, give up and cancel, or sell their MS?

No, and here's why. In a few years, when every tenth you see car on the road is a M3/MY, and the CT and Roaster II are rare or non-existent, you will be the proud owner of the pinnacle of EV sedan design, albeit perhaps a vibrating one without Carioke and ARNR, a practical and sensible vehicle that is directly traceable to the MS of 2012, a time when we could all be proud of the car and the company!
Thanks for the plug on vibration!