Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MSP/Ultra Red/White Int./19" this past Saturday at the Delray Beach SC and wanted to pass on my experience and hopefully others find this info helpful. I have learned a lot on this site so what I learned I will pass on to others in this waiting room.

1. January 18, ordered MSP, Blue, 19", white interior. EDD March.
2. March 8, received VIN
3. March 10, learned here that Tesla introduced Ultra Red, so I changed from Blue to Ultra Red. Tesla accepted this change (after paying the $3K differential), but delivery date eventually got pushed out to April 15 - May 25.
4. April 7: received a new VIN (plus another $5k price drop). EDD April 15 - May 15.
5. April 12: received invite to schedule delivery at Delray Beach SC. Scheduled it for Saturday April 22, 1 PM. Received one or more emails and SMS to confirm I really was going to be there. Had completed all pre-delivery steps, except final payment, because I was paying via certified check upon acceptance, not earlier.
6. April 22: 1 PM. Delivery Day!

They knew I had an appointment but car was not ready; was still being cleaned. Waited 45 minutes, which overall is not a long time, but if you know 10 days in advance a car is to be picked up at 1 PM, why would it not be ready and still being "cleaned"? Annoyance #1.

Finally it shows up, and of course that Ultra Red is absolutely gorgeous and am really happy I switched out of the blue, even though it added 6 more weeks of delivery time! I of course inspected it, and noticed the trunk is not well aligned with the rear quarter panels, which seems a known issue for Tesla. The taillights line up OK, but the separation is uneven between left and right rear quarter panels. The SA helpfully said to make note of it and have it fixed. Sure: Annoyance #2. Not a huge issue for me (unlike for others here ;), but compared to my wife's new MB EQE, there is no comparison as to build.

Annoyance #3: The SA - wait for it- was not allowed to open the car for me until after I accepted the car. Well I cannot accept the car if I cannot inspect the car. Stand-off ensues, but with my cashier's check still in hand I think I had a bit more leverage... OK, compromise: SA "spoke to manager" (that is still a thing apparently, even at Tesla) SA was allowed to open the doors, but I was not allowed to sit in it! Well, that allows for a somewhat compromised visual inspection, and does not allow for rudimentary confirmation that everything works! Based on what I was able to see and feel - I did not spot any cosmetic or other trim issues, so I accepted the car.

Annoyance #4: they had overlooked that I was transferring registration, so they mounted a new -and wrong- license plate. Another delay. Not a big deal, but why this cannot go smoother, I have no idea. There were, maybe, two other deliveries in that time frame. After I handed the check and received the registration, the car was electronically released to my App. SA left the scene. I previously had a '16 MS, but it occurred to me that a new Tesla owner could be a bit lost the first time you sit behind the wheel without any initial overview, especially without stalks etc., just trying to get the A/C going, or set the side mirrors. For a novice Tesla owner, it would be akin to an SA parking the Space Shuttle in front of you, hand you the keys, and point to the moon, and say "have a nice day."

So All-in-all, I am very happy with the MSP. The acceleration is on a whole other level and I still have not gotten used to it - physically (pressure on eyeballs and ears is noticeable!) The Ultra Red is, in my opinion, the most stunning color Tesla offers, even though my last cars were all blue!

To all waiting on their car, don't expect perfection from Tesla, and be prepared for silly "interactions" with Tesla staff. But, the wait, hopefully, will be worth it!

Annoyance #3: The SA - wait for it- was not allowed to open the car for me until after I accepted the car. Well I cannot accept the car if I cannot inspect the car. Stand-off ensues, but with my cashier's check still in hand I think I had a bit more leverage... OK, compromise: SA "spoke to manager" (that is still a thing apparently, even at Tesla) SA was allowed to open the doors, but I was not allowed to sit in it! Well, that allows for a somewhat compromised visual inspection, and does not allow for rudimentary confirmation that everything works! Based on what I was able to see and feel - I did not spot any cosmetic or other trim issues, so I accepted the car.
That sucks. I have taken delivery of 2 new Teslas in the last 2 years and both times I was able to open the doors/sit in the car and inspect the interior prior to "accepting" delivery.

I’m currently here at the Buena Park SC and was told the same situation as @HAJM .. I cannot open the car or assess the inside. I can’t even open the trunk or trunk, but here’s the issue — my hatchback is definitely misaligned. The Tech came out and confirmed that it is not within that’s a big job that will need to be done at a body shop. Pretty annoying but wow the UR color looks amazing!

I’m currently here at the Buena Park SC and was told the same situation as @HAJM .. I cannot open the car or assess the inside. I can’t even open the trunk or trunk, but here’s the issue — my hatchback is definitely misaligned. The Tech came out and confirmed that it is not within that’s a big job that will need to be done at a body shop. Pretty annoying but wow the UR color looks amazing!
What have we learned here today? 1. Don't pick your car up at the Buena Park, SC. Location because it's not "Buena" at all, and (2) That particular Tesla location needs to replace the leadership team with higher level people. BTW: I picked up my new m3p last month (not at Buena Park) and also had access to any part of the car I wanted for as long as I wanted. Heck I think they would have let me drive the thing. The SA did come by to shake my hand and welcome me to the Tesla family and said "If you need anything at all just come over to the tent and grab one of us." My car was perfect with no issues at all.

Most recently (yesterday) 2-8 weeks. I suspect more likely 4 weeks.
Thank you for the response. My m3p in Feb. took about 3 weeks, but the Tesla website got my hopes all up by indicating the MSP could be delivered in April. (I believed that when I ordered on April 13th, but I see the website stills show April). I know when I've been Bamboozled. LOL. For those of you wondering: No I won't have both of these cars at the same time as I sold the m3p (Which I absolutely loved) to "upgrade" to the MSP (At least I'm hoping that it's an upgrade). For those of you who don't care about that last statement I'm sorry you're still reading this because I'm wasting your time.

Thank you for the response. My m3p in Feb. took about 3 weeks, but the Tesla website got my hopes all up by indicating the MSP could be delivered in April. (I believed that when I ordered on April 13th, but I see the website stills show April). I know when I've been Bamboozled. LOL. For those of you wondering: No I won't have both of these cars at the same time as I sold the m3p (Which I absolutely loved) to "upgrade" to the MSP (At least I'm hoping that it's an upgrade). For those of you who don't care about that last statement I'm sorry you're still reading this because I'm wasting your time.
just wondering , what is your current estimate delivery in the app ?

are you saying my car has a good chance of being a reject? Do they deliver cars the same day they are made?

Not unless you live next door to the factory, and I don't think they do factory deliveries anymore.

Easy way to avoid getting someone else's car is to look at the image data on your order page.

Search for location and factory gate date.

Do bring a checklist and be prepared to reject. It's a buyers market now.