Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could not reproduce the grinding / clunking noise that happened during the 1st mile of me driving it on the very 1st medium acceleration.

It happened twice. Loud the first time, not so loud the second time. Gone. I'm gonna pay attention to see if it's something that only occurs if the car is idle for some time first... maybe?

I hit the accelerator as hard as I could lol and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Well, except for the fact that it surprised the bajesus out of me how much faster it was than my M3P lol.

Gonna just call it a day and not worry about it. If I need a million service appointments later for failed stuff, so be it hehe. Will just enjoy.

Late last night, Model Y turned right into the right lane and just took off. I was behind and followed, turned right into the middle lane, and it was quite a ways away. I hit the gas and before I knew it, the Model Y was lane changing in front of me and I had to slam the brakes. We were the only two cars on the street.

I made two potential deductions.
It didn't occur to that MY driver that it was even possible for another car to be that close that fast.
It didn't occur to me that it was possible for me to be that close that fast.

It didn't take long for me to change my judgement of what is considered a safe amount of space around me.

Could not reproduce the grinding / clunking noise that happened during the 1st mile of me driving it on the very 1st medium acceleration.

It happened twice. Loud the first time, not so loud the second time. Gone. I'm gonna pay attention to see if it's something that only occurs if the car is idle for some time first... maybe?

I hit the accelerator as hard as I could lol and did not notice anything out of the ordinary. Well, except for the fact that it surprised the bajesus out of me how much faster it was than my M3P lol.

Gonna just call it a day and not worry about it. If I need a million service appointments later for failed stuff, so be it hehe. Will just enjoy.

Late last night, Model Y turned right into the right lane and just took off. I was behind and followed, turned right into the middle lane, and it was quite a ways away. I hit the gas and before I knew it, the Model Y was lane changing in front of me and I had to slam the brakes. We were the only two cars on the street.

It didn't occur to that MY driver that it was even possible for another car to be that close that fast.

It didn't take long for me to change my judgement of what is considered a safe amount of space around me.
Probably just a 10mm socket, or bolt, left from assy, that worked it way out. Just don't look under the car, and you won't see anything missing.

Last update on mine for delivery and then I guess my thoughts are more appropriate in other areas of the forum.

It was definitely a repaired car, whether it was rejected or not I don't know, but there are defects on the hood circled that I didn't see in the rain. I think they've been repaired, but the circles are still there. I'm ok with that as I said before. I also found a couple of scuffs on one of the rear doors, I don' t know if they're fully superficial yet or actual damage. I need to wash it and attack it with a buffer. I'm very slightly annoyed by both things, but overall not too worried about it. You can only see them if you look for them.

I have 750 miles on it now, mostly freeway driving, and I love it overall. Ride, comfort, noise level, and power are all miles ahead of the M3P I have. I think the interior fit and finish (alignment of stuff) and quality of materials (look and feel) is excellent. Time will tell with regard to durability.

It has already developed a little rattle, right behind the headliner by the driver's left ear there's a buzz every time you hit an expansion joint on the freeway. Pushing up on the headliner in this area fixes it for a few minutes before it returns, so it seems like some adhesive isn't adhering, this is the most annoying thing about the car for me so far.

Secondly in the first 100 miles, driving along both screens went blank for a few seconds and reset. This happened twice, and then the gauge cluster screen did it a 3rd time. It has not happened since so I'm not too worried about it but founds that odd.

I honestly like this car a lot more than I thought I would. I thought it would be a bit of a one trick pony and was fully bought into the fact that I was buying my first muscle car, like I was buying an EV version of a dodge charger, I've rented a few Chargers and they are nice enough, but with 1000hp they would be a lot of fun. This car is far more GT car than muscle car. Ride quality, material quality (again I'm talking look & feel rather than durability), NVH and handling are all far superior to what I'd expect from American muscle. It's like 2/3rds of the way from a Charger to what I expect an M5 to be.

The handling is definitely a step down, and it's the only thing that's a step down, from the M3P but it's not the lumbering wallowing boat I was kinda expecting. It's perfectly adequate for a street car.

Overall it's not perfect but I think it's a great car, great value for what I paid, and I'm over the moon with it.

Yeah, after my first play with the power I decided that I need to leave this car in sport mode and make it a conscious decision to put it in plaid. I've driven a lot of fast cars, but this thing is absurd.

Yeah, after my first play with the power I decided that I need to leave this car in sport mode and make it a conscious decision to put it in plaid. I've driven a lot of fast cars, but this thing is absurd.
You can also control this with your right foot. Plaid mode 100% of the time here, even in traffic. Zero reason not to.

Figured I'd throw my hat in the ring on this thread. After pre-ordering a MSP back in 2021 and then letting Tesla push my delivery date out a month, and then another month, and then another 2 months, to the point I got pissed, cancelled it, and bought a Charger Redeye Widebody Hellcat, things have now come full circle. Just ordered the exact same car I had in my cart back in 21, and I already have my VIN 10 minutes later. Good thing I never unboxed my Gen3 wall charger lol. Electrician will be here this week and then it's time to say goodbye to the Hellcat, and hello to the 100,000 magical pixies that propel this thing. :p I just hope when I go for delivery it's not a previously fixed unit. I could have bought a used Plaid for 5 grand less. I need that new Tesla smell!

Well I went to pick mine up today, but it didn’t happen. Thought it was strange it wasn’t parked out front with the other deliveries and was told it was “charging” in the service area. Then was told the rear hatch was making a loud popping sound. They said it was the struts, after an hour it was the hinges and the car would need to be fixed and repainted. Then after another hour of talking it was a rubber boot of some sort and a rear glass issue. I ended up just rejecting the car and another one is inbound later this week that matches my options 100%. There was one with a yoke there that was 99% , but I didn’t want the yoke. Hopefully the 2nd one has no issues later this week.

Reactions: aerodyne
Well I went to pick mine up today, but it didn’t happen. Thought it was strange it wasn’t parked out front with the other deliveries and was told it was “charging” in the service area. Then was told the rear hatch was making a loud popping sound. They said it was the struts, after an hour it was the hinges and the car would need to be fixed and repainted. Then after another hour of talking it was a rubber boot of some sort and a rear glass issue. I ended up just rejecting the car and another one is inbound later this week that matches my options 100%. There was one with a yoke there that was 99% , but I didn’t want the yoke. Hopefully the 2nd one has no issues later this week.
It's stories like this that have me paranoid. I ordered my MSP literally 3 hours ago and already have a pickup appointment for Monday in Jacksonville. It's almost TOO quick for my liking. Guess I'll pull outt he old lucky socks and rabbit foot for the trip next week. I'm bringing my friend who's had his Model Y for a while now. I'm hoping he can help me look around for quality issues.

Reactions: zoomer0056
It's stories like this that have me paranoid. I ordered my MSP literally 3 hours ago and already have a pickup appointment for Monday in Jacksonville. It's almost TOO quick for my liking. Guess I'll pull outt he old lucky socks and rabbit foot for the trip next week. I'm bringing my friend who's had his Model Y for a while now. I'm hoping he can help me look around for quality issues.
Once you accept you'll have 100 miles to check it out while driving. After that they may say you did it.

Reactions: aerodyne
So I went to pick up my MSP today. Looked over the vehicle and found a number of issues. I went over each with the SA and he setup a service request at the end of this week. Want to get the groups thoughts on whether I should have rejected the car:

1) driver door handle is recessed beyond flush with the door and the black paint shows quite a bit of bubbling on one corner. SA says they will replace the entire door handle and will be an easy fix
2) Truck panel gap is uneven with a larger gap on the right side of the trunk. This seems to be a common issue on this car. SA says this is easily adjustable
3) Rear passenger door is slightly out of alignment and needs to move closer into the vehicle and up to be flush - SA also says they make this fix all the time and should not be a problem. I sure hope so - this one has me worried
4) felt liner above the driver side rear passenger door shows some wear like someone took an abrasive to it. SA says this will be completely replaced. I hope this doesn't cause some sort of new noise internally
5) paint on the left side of the front bumper is slightly lighter at the bottom of the bumper - they clearly did not spray this well enough. I found this after I left - I'm guessing they will have to respray the bumper or replace this somehow?

I don't have pictures as I brought the car to the PPF shop but once I pick up tomorrow, I will add.

Overall should I have not accepted this vehicle? Has anyone else experienced these issues and had them correctly resolved?

Reactions: Laddcruzer
So I went to pick up my MSP today. Looked over the vehicle and found a number of issues. I went over each with the SA and he setup a service request at the end of this week. Want to get the groups thoughts on whether I should have rejected the car:

1) driver door handle is recessed beyond flush with the door and the black paint shows quite a bit of bubbling on one corner. SA says they will replace the entire door handle and will be an easy fix
2) Truck panel gap is uneven with a larger gap on the right side of the trunk. This seems to be a common issue on this car. SA says this is easily adjustable
3) Rear passenger door is slightly out of alignment and needs to move closer into the vehicle and up to be flush - SA also says they make this fix all the time and should not be a problem. I sure hope so - this one has me worried
4) felt liner above the driver side rear passenger door shows some wear like someone took an abrasive to it. SA says this will be completely replaced. I hope this doesn't cause some sort of new noise internally
5) paint on the left side of the front bumper is slightly lighter at the bottom of the bumper - they clearly did not spray this well enough. I found this after I left - I'm guessing they will have to respray the bumper or replace this somehow?

I don't have pictures as I brought the car to the PPF shop but once I pick up tomorrow, I will add.

Overall should I have not accepted this vehicle? Has anyone else experienced these issues and had them correctly resolved?
Sounds like all items are easily fixable. What concerns you the most and is causing you to second guess your decision?

My White MSP was scheduled for pick up on 10/14. My Tesla SA texted and said the car came in early and it would be ready that afternoon(yesterday 9/9). This was the smootheset transaction of this kind I have ever made. The car was out front with a Placard on the dash. The placard said " Congratulations!" To Me-Welcome to the Tesla family. It was a nice touch.

The car had 15 Miles on it with a build date of 9/23. Interestingly, it has a Tennessee temp tag whereas I took delivery and live in Oklahoma.

I went over the outside of the car and both my wife and I were struck by the beauty of the thing. No apparent problems with the body, fit nor finish. It was a good 9.8 outside and the inside was the same. Everything lined up correctly, glass was great, console was perfect- in all a 9.9.

I was blown away by the ride quality and smoothness of the ride- even on the 21's. This car is quieter than my Mercedes GLE. It was like driving in the clouds, What an excellect experience. Perhaps that is partially because I'm coming from a modified RAM TRX with a Borla ATAK exhaust. Now, I only went for 10 Miles or so yesterday and the car is still calibrating. I will drive it today and let the calibration finish before making a Plaid run or two:D

BTW, I like the Yoke.

This is going to be fun.

Last edited:
My White MSP was scheduled for pick up on 10/14. My Tesla SA texted and said the car came in early and it would be ready that afternoon(yesterday 9/9). This was the smootheset transaction of this kind I have ever made. The car was out front with a Placard on the dash. The placard said " Congratulations!" To Me-Welcome to the Tesla family. It was a nice touch.

The car had 15 Miles on it with a build date of 9/23. Interestingly, it has a Tennessee temp tag whereas I took delivery and live in Oklahoma.

I went over the outside of the car and both my wife and I were struck by the beauty of the thing. No apparent problems with the body, fit nor finish. It was a good 9.8 outside and the inside was the same. Everything lined up correctly, glass was great, console was perfect- in all a 9.9.

I was blown away by the ride quality and smoothness of the ride- even on the 21's. This car is quieter than my Mercedes GLE. It was like driving in the clouds, What an excellect experience. Perhaps that is partially because I'm coming from a modified RAM TRX with a Borla ATAK exhaust. Now, I only went for 10 Miles or so yesterday and the car is still calibrating. I will drive it today and let the calibration finish before making a Plaid run or two:D

BTW, I like the Yoke.

This is going to be fun.
Congrats GonePlaid! I guess going from a RAM TRX with that exhaust would be quite a contrast. I'm scheduled for mine on 10/14 also but I'm sticking to that date, hopefully the Gods are on my side when it comes to fit and finish. Keep us posted.!!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Well to follow up to this I just received an update now pushing the delivery from tomorrow the 12th to Oct 26th with no reason as to why it was pushed. I just re-adjusted my insurance with the new car's VIN and to start on the 12th, now I will need them to place it on hold until maybe the 26th. Here's my timeline below.

9/16: Ordered my MSP (Ultra Red/Cream/19/steering wheel) with EDD of Sep-Oct
9/19: EDD Oct/Nov
9/25: VIN and EDD 12-19 Oct
9/29: EDD 6-15 Oct
10/01: Delivery 9 Oct
10/09: Car had numerous issues at pickup with rear hatch. Refused car and new car will arrive 10/12.
10/11: Car delivery delayed and now delivery is scheduled for 26 Oct.

Well to follow up to this I just received an update now pushing the delivery from tomorrow the 12th to Oct 26th with no reason as to why it was pushed. I just re-adjusted my insurance with the new car's VIN and to start on the 12th, now I will need them to place it on hold until maybe the 26th. Here's my timeline below.

9/16: Ordered my MSP (Ultra Red/Cream/19/steering wheel) with EDD of Sep-Oct
9/19: EDD Oct/Nov
9/25: VIN and EDD 12-19 Oct
9/29: EDD 6-15 Oct
10/01: Delivery 9 Oct
10/09: Car had numerous issues at pickup with rear hatch. Refused car and new car will arrive 10/12.
10/11: Car delivery delayed and now delivery is scheduled for 26 Oct.
Seems ok, just a minor bump in the road with all considered. Back in the "olden days" we waited from six months to a year and even more. Kids these days have it too easyl