Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS said that my car would be ready late this week in an email he sent a few days ago. But my dashboard says I'm still in the production queue (not in production yet) and I haven't received my final paperwork. Is MyTesla usually delayed or is it possible it may not be this week? :crying:

Believe your DS over the website. The website is known to be severely delayed.

A different DS emailed me this morning and told me the end of Nov. I emailed my DS that told me that delivery would be late this week and he says Late November. I'm left with my jaw gaping open. Tesla really needs to step up their communication. I guess it was false hope...

Me too. Dashboard says late November, DS is saying mid December, Tesla HQ is saying late November, At this point, I just want an answer!

Is this the part of the "Tesla does it better than auto dealers" ?

I think they should give a month of delivery for special orders and let you know when ordering that the month may change during the process. Giving a specific date before it is built is not going to work longer-term. I would want to know when it enters production and when it leaves on a transport from the factory. That reminds me of the days when my parents ordered a car. They would just place the order and the dealer would say "we will call you when it is in transit to the dealership". Couple months later, it was there.

Is this the part of the "Tesla does it better than auto dealers" ?

I think they should give a month of delivery for special orders and let you know when ordering that the month may change during the process. Giving a specific date before it is built is not going to work longer-term. I would want to know when it enters production and when it leaves on a transport from the factory. That reminds me of the days when my parents ordered a car. They would just place the order and the dealer would say "we will call you when it is in transit to the dealership". Couple months later, it was there.

I was under the impression that this is exactly the system they'd switched back to sometime in September.

Me too. Dashboard says late November, DS is saying mid December, Tesla HQ is saying late November, At this point, I just want an answer!

A different DS emailed me this morning and told me the end of Nov. I emailed my DS that told me that delivery would be late this week and he says Late November. I'm left with my jaw gaping open. Tesla really needs to step up their communication. I guess it was false hope...

That's unacceptable.. I'd try to escalate your situation as much as possible. I'm experiencing the same too and it's extremely frustrating. Seriously leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

That's unacceptable.. I'd try to escalate your situation as much as possible. I'm experiencing the same too and it's extremely frustrating. Seriously leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.
I know. Who do I contact?
I mean, a few days margin of error is bad but sort of understandable. When they say it will be here next week and then push it back 3-4 weeks, that's not acceptable. I even rushed to get my house wired and even pushed off getting my current car repaired because I thought delivery was imminent.

I emailed my DS asking for an explanation for the 4 week pushback/error and I haven't received a response yet. It's been over 24 hours.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, it is an incredibly complex process to assemble a car from thousands of pieces. Most of the part are just in time delivery so subject to lots of different random events.
Usually you just go and buy a car off the lot so you don't care about the delays that took place prior to its arrival. With Tesla there is this backlog and also a new D design where they are starting production.
I once wanted to buy a Ford but found that the particular model I wanted was not available because an earthquake in Japan had stopped production of a switch they used to control the seats. Things like this happen.
I too am waiting (for my S85D) and I JUST WANT IT NOW but that's not going to happen. I've already seen the delivery date move from Feb to Jan (yeah!) then back to Feb (boo).
It will get to you as fast as possible and it's best not to know all of the things that could go wrong with the supply chain.

Relax people. You'll get it when you get it. A few weeks earlier or later whats the difference? You are getting by far the latest technology available in a car and nothing on the road comes close to what you have. This is not GM that has been making cars for 100 years.
Yes, but while waiting we have to plan on what to do with the current vehicle, get the funds ready, wire the house, etc. The problem that we had was a lack of communication, and a scheduling mistake. Mistake was forgivable (as you said, making cars are complex and tricky and delays happen), but the way it was handled and the lack of an apology was not a great impression. It is a significant investment so most folks would like accurate and timely updates to the delivery process.

Finally made it into production today though. Good things come to those who wait I guess. I don't really mind the wait, as long as they are able to deliver with quality.

My original delivery date was 10/18 and I still don't have the car.
According to my DS, first it was pushed back a week to 10/25, then it was yesterday, 10/31.
But still no word from them on a specific date. Next week, maybe?
Purchase documents haven't been drawn up and sent to me yet.

I don't really care about the delays as long as they build the car with precision.

But honestly, the lack of competence in the delivery scheduling and communication of the car that was ordered months ago makes me a little concerned about the competence of the build. After driving it a month, if I have a punch list of items that need to be 'fixed' (like several people have reported on here) I'm going to be pissed.

MyTesla today changed to "in production" for me... Yesterday my DS told me car would be going into production next week so this is definitely confirmed by the web site. Was told a couple of weeks ago that delivery would be anywhere Nov 13 to 20 and asked me to be in town during that time.

Question for the folks on this forum, is MyTesla data pretty accurate on production status? If so, does the 7-10 day production cycle mean the car will be delivered earlier than the Nov 13 to 21 window?

P85+ in production 110114.jpg

MyTesla today changed to "in production" for me... Yesterday my DS told me car would be going into production next week so this is definitely confirmed by the web site. Was told a couple of weeks ago that delivery would be anywhere Nov 13 to 20 and asked me to be in town during that time.

Question for the folks on this forum, is MyTesla data pretty accurate on production status? If so, does the 7-10 day production cycle mean the car will be delivered earlier than the Nov 13 to 21 window?

View attachment 62662

When the status say that your car is being built, that appears to be very accurate - possibly automated; however, some other status changes seem less accurate, i.e. I think that the DS is responsible for some changes so the dashboard change is dependent on their diligence and or level of busyness. My recollection is that the build will take about 5 days and you will see an accurate completed status.

When the status say that your car is being built, that appears to be very accurate - possibly automated; however, some other status changes seem less accurate, i.e. I think that the DS is responsible for some changes so the dashboard change is dependent on their diligence and or level of busyness. My recollection is that the build will take about 5 days and you will see an accurate completed status.

Thanks @gpetti, appreciate the response! Sounds promising for the Nov 13 delivery schedule :)

FWIW, I just got notified of my delivery date. Original delivery date was 10/18/14 and final delivery date will be 11/11/2014. 23 days delayed. Car was initially listed "In Production" on the website around 10/12/14. Plus, very little or no communication during the delay.

You might want to lower your expectations as far as getting your car based on dates they first tell you.

Yesterday the MyTesla status changed from "in production" to "production complete" - seems production took just 4 days including a Sunday - and I also received the email for final bill and payment notice. This morning my DS called to let me know that I can pick up the car tomorrow afternoon onwards. Scheduled my factory tour and pickup for this Saturday morning. Nice weekend to test out the new wheels!

My S85 production car P53xxx bound for Sydney, AU changed status to "production complete" and in transit today.

Very exciting that things are finally happening, but no launch date yet. In any case it is very evident the team here is going to be working very hard to get as many deliveries through in Q4, with Tesla probably having only another week or two to produce cars to make the quarter..