Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody. Is there ANY way to tell where my MSP is in the build/delivery cycle? I ordered mid-December '23 and they say delivery in "Jan/Feb". I guess there used to be a spreadsheet floating around but that was many years ago.
If you do not have concrete date like Est. Delivery: January 18 - February 22 it means it is not accounted for in production yet. My guess is that production has not been running for at least 2 weeks since they have not been slotting cars into the production schedule. This might extend until end of the month.

Reactions: dsm363
Tangential: similar looking sport seats to those that were leaked in Tesla‘s Model S service manual last October are shown in Model 3 performance/ludicrous prototypes.

1705508863451.png

Link

Just saw that they are now charging again for the different paint colors on the S/X.
I guess the people worried about resale value on a 2023 could have gotten Ultra red for free to offset the resale hit on a one month difference in build. That's the games people play with waiting and Tesla. Win some with new features, lose sometimes with price. It's a tough thing to time perfectly.

Tangential: similar looking sport seats to those that were leaked in Tesla‘s Model S service manual last October are shown in Model 3 performance/ludicrous prototypes.

View attachment 1009768
Link
The rumors of a model 3 plaid are interesting. I can't see how they would let the performance of the Model 3 get close to that of the Model S, otherwise it is going to cut into sales of the S. I don't see them spending a lot of effort upgrading the performance of the Plaid, so I'd guess they might cut the gap between the two by a bit, but not come too close to the Plaid. I'm going to guess 0-60 of 2.6 seconds. I could see how it needs a bit of a boost, since the base Model S now beats it in the 1/4 mile.

I could be convinced to buy a new Model 3, but I probably can't wait that long. I've already gone over two months without a car. It's getting old.

On the plus side, I'm upgrading my Sur Ron and the weather will soon be warming up here, so I can motorcycle to more places.... And hey, I'm probably saving about $1000 / month in depreciation by not owning a car. 😅

Any idea when those sport seats will be in the Plaid?

The rumors of a model 3 plaid are interesting. I can't see how they would let the performance of the Model 3 get close to that of the Model S, otherwise it is going to cut into sales of the S. I don't see them spending a lot of effort upgrading the performance of the Plaid, so I'd guess they might cut the gap between the two by a bit, but not come too close to the Plaid. I'm going to guess 0-60 of 2.6 seconds. I could see how it needs a bit of a boost, since the base Model S now beats it in the 1/4 mile.

No idea at all on the timing. The sport seats, RGB ambient lighting and rumored front camera were all reported in October, already 3 months ago.
EDIT: Just noticing that those seats don't appear to be ventilated in this model as they are in the Highland LR and today's MS.

Model 3 Plaid/Ludicrous (being reported as both so whatever they call it) will probably make a pretty hot competitor for the M3/RS5/C63 segment. I think it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to simply use the MSLR drivetrain at 670HP in that application, which would be approx 200HP increase. I agree with you that they won't approach MSP level on acceleration, but it will be closer than it already is.

From prior reporting it sounded like Tesla is concerned enough about impeding on Plaid as a halo car that they are not going to market this M3 as Plaid. Maybe Ludicrous or something else. To me, it would make more sense from a branding perspective to use Plaid as Tesla's M or AMG performance branding, thereby getting more leverage out of Plaid branding efforts, but it's debatable and sounds like they are not going that way.

Last edited:
No idea at all on the timing. The sport seats, RGB ambient lighting and rumored front camera were all reported in October, already 3 months ago.
EDIT: Just noticing that those seats don't appear to be ventilated in this model as they are in the Highland LR and today's MS.

Model 3 Plaid/Ludicrous (being reported as both so whatever they call it) will probably make a pretty hot competitor for the M3/RS5/C63 segment. I think it would make a lot of sense for Tesla to simply use the MSLR drivetrain at 670HP in that application, which would be approx 200HP increase. I agree with you that they won't approach MSP level on acceleration, but it will be closer than it already is.

From prior reporting it sounded like Tesla is concerned enough about impeding on Plaid as a halo car that they are not going to market this M3 as Plaid. Maybe Ludicrous or something else. To me, it would make more sense from a branding perspective to use Plaid as Tesla's M or AMG performance branding, thereby getting more leverage out of Plaid branding efforts, but it's debatable and sounds like they are not going that way.
It's almost guaranteed to be a Ludicrous Model 3, as the badge leak was not a Plaid badge, but a Ludicrous one. Now, this is Tesla, and anything can change. Some think that Tesla won't want to impede on their highest-priced cars like the S Plaid, but if you're not selling all that many of those anyway, why not have a Plaid Model 3 and sell a ton of them. Give it a fancier interior and air suspension and turn it into a halo car. Wouldn't put it past them...

That said, agreed we're much more likely to see a ~670hp Model 3 Ludicrous built off the MSLR drivetrain.

Reactions: dn325ci
I may hold off on buying a 2nd Plaid until the beans are spilled on the new M3P. My wife want's my car as hers and I am not sure if I need 2 Plaids, but I don't want to sacrifice the luxury feel of my MSP for the M3P. When I test drove the 3 & Y last year I found them echoing inside, seats to be harder, less refined road feel and noise and I missed the front dash and larger main screen that is flush with the dashboard. I know the M3 has been redesigned and might take some of those Cons away, so I will wait to hold my judgements for the new version until I have driven the new one to see if it suits my needs.

Reactions: Snardy and dn325ci
I may hold off on buying a 2nd Plaid until the beans are spilled on the new M3P. My wife want's my car as hers and I am not sure if I need 2 Plaids, but I don't want to sacrifice the luxury feel of my MSP for the M3P. When I test drove the 3 & Y last year I found them echoing inside, seats to be harder, less refined road feel and noise and I missed the front dash and larger main screen that is flush with the dashboard. I know the M3 has been redesigned and might take some of those Cons away, so I will wait to hold my judgements for the new version until I have driven the new one to see if it suits my needs.

I'd hold off if I were you. I'd definitely not be buying a Tesla Model S or 3 at the moment. I sense changes right around the corner. And yes, I know Tesla is always making changes, but it feels like they are right around the corner.