Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In other news, discussed previously a few 100 or so pages ago, another Lucid Sapphire article admits "the production Lucid must share the quarter-mile record with the Tesla Model S Plaid (which is quicker to 60 mph by 0.1 second)."

$250k vs under $100k.

Ref: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2024-lucid-air-sapphire-first-test-review/amp/

That is surprising. That's at least the second source saying the production sapphire is slower than expected. Even Motortrend says the Plaid is quicker:

9.3 sec @ 156.0 mph vs 9.25 sec @ 152.6 mph.

I'm guessing the higher trap speed reflects higher HP, higher peak battery output, since the battery is larger than the Plaid. The Plaid manages faster 0-60 probably from lower weight, similar torque.

The Sapphire did beat the Plaid on handling, though I'd be curious if they retested the Plaid with the track pack and track mode enabled if they would be comparable or even if the Plaid would win. I don't know if track mode was even available back when they wrote their article in June of 2021. The track pack definitely wasn't.
Sapphire looks great, but at the price of 2.8 Model S Plaids, it's not going to achieve any kind of production relevance. Heck, Tesla only sells 10-12K Model S at its lower price points. It does raise the interesting question of what Tesla could do for 250K, but that will be the Roadster probably.

So in the end it's an exercise in a halo car at a time when Lucid should be racing towards a 60K EV crossover to get some momentum towards profitability. I hope the Gravity is a good product, since I'd like to see Lucid survive. We'll see.

Ordered MSLR 1/6, black, white interior, 19", yoke. Previous EDD was Feb 18 - March 24, just received my VIN!

New EDD Feb 24 - March 4. Assuming that's purely down to the certificate debacle. Had to accept Tesla vision as others have, still showing original price.
I think you're the first person on the east coast I've seen assigned a VIN for MSLR, so that's good at least. Crazy that some us ordered a month before this though and are still VINless.

I think you're the first person on the east coast I've seen assigned a VIN for MSLR, so that's good at least. Crazy that some us ordered a month before this though and are still VINless.
I agree, at this point I have no clue how they're handling any of the 24's. It hasn't made a lot of sense but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully we'll see lots of assignments this week.

Reactions: fupito
I agree, at this point I have no clue how they're handling any of the 24's. It hasn't made a lot of sense but I'll take what I can get. Hopefully we'll see lots of assignments this week.
Yeah I'm sure they have some methodology, it looked like it was location based or 'common order' related since I saw most VINs with black interiors. Yours is more custom like mine is so who knows. Happy you got one assigned though, means they are still assigning them at least even with the EPA delay. Congrats!

Reactions: Gibby13
Huh?

To my best knowledge, they have ONLY used the Pirelli P Zero Summer tire as the OEM tire on the MS since mid-2021 (refresh MS).

When did they start using the Contis? Was it just an "up North/Canada" thing to get an All Season tire on the cars?

Frankly, I'm glad they've made the switch as the Pirellis are MUCH noiser and have zero snow grip as compared to the Contis, this from two friends that are 2022 MS LR owners in the SeaTac area that have replaced their P Zeros with the Contis (and who are also stunned by the improvement).
My late 2022 MS LR build had the Conti... not sure when it started. Sorry for the late reply

Ordered MSLR 1/6, black, white interior, 19", yoke. Previous EDD was Feb 18 - March 24, just received my VIN!

New EDD Feb 24 - March 4. Assuming that's purely down to the certificate debacle. Had to accept Tesla vision as others have, still showing original price.
Now I have a slight question regarding the "proof of insurance" they ask for in the app. I've already sent a message to my SA about it, but I figured I'd ask here too since several people have been through the process before (and especially seeing as my SA hardly ever responds..)

It specifically states the policy you show as proof "has to be valid for at least 60 days after the delivery date". As would be my luck, my current policy "expires" March 1st. Of course it's set to auto-renew, and I'll be replacing my current vehicle with my MS as soon as I have a date scheduled. Does anyone know how Tesla handles this? Can I just go ahead and submit my current policy as proof, or is the fact my policy renews in 2 weeks going to be an issue as they'll see it as technically expiring then?

Now I have a slight question regarding the "proof of insurance" they ask for in the app. I've already sent a message to my SA about it, but I figured I'd ask here too since several people have been through the process before (and especially seeing as my SA hardly ever responds..)

It specifically states the policy you show as proof "has to be valid for at least 60 days after the delivery date". As would be my luck, my current policy "expires" March 1st. Of course it's set to auto-renew, and I'll be replacing my current vehicle with my MS as soon as I have a date scheduled. Does anyone know how Tesla handles this? Can I just go ahead and submit my current policy as proof, or is the fact my policy renews in 2 weeks going to be an issue as they'll see it as technically expiring then?

You should be fine. We were in a similar situation 4 years ago when we picked up our Y. I'd submit and not worry about it unless they call you on it. Doubt they even will...

Unlike some places (not sure about GA, but believe it is the same as TX) we had to do everything up front in order to even get the car shipped a we are under the antiquated, dealer-centric system of car sales here. Still. Even with Giga Texas on-line for a few years now...

You should be fine. We were in a similar situation 4 years ago when we picked up our Y. I'd submit and not worry about it unless they call you on it. Doubt they even will...

Unlike some places (not sure about GA, but believe it is the same as TX) we had to do everything up front in order to even get the car shipped a we are under the antiquated, dealer-centric system of car sales here. Still. Even with Giga Texas on-line for a few years now...
Gotcha, thanks for the info. I'm not 100% on the entire process for GA, but I do know Tesla covers all of the registration here so I would assume it's the same or very similar.

Reactions: empiredown

I don't think it matters. I had a similar situation and was fine. You might need to bring the updated insurance cards to delivery.

That is surprising. That's at least the second source saying the production sapphire is slower than expected. Even Motortrend says the Plaid is quicker:

9.3 sec @ 156.0 mph vs 9.25 sec @ 152.6 mph.

I'm guessing the higher trap speed reflects higher HP, higher peak battery output, since the battery is larger than the Plaid. The Plaid manages faster 0-60 probably from lower weight, similar torque.

The Sapphire did beat the Plaid on handling, though I'd be curious if they retested the Plaid with the track pack and track mode enabled if they would be comparable or even if the Plaid would win. I don't know if track mode was even available back when they wrote their article in June of 2021. The track pack definitely wasn't.

Too bad Lucid won't 'Ring test it.

Update: Model S Plaid VIN has been officially assigned. Before I can proceed, I need to accept this "Tesla Vision." I don't see anything about a price change, as I'd assume it would show as a required change, like the Tesla Vision (I don't even know what this is).

The VINs last 8 digits are:RF53XXXX

Is this a confirmed '24? If so, I will proceed with the order.

Update: Model S Plaid VIN has been officially assigned. Before I can proceed, I need to accept this "Tesla Vision." I don't see anything about a price change, as I'd assume it would show as a required change, like the Tesla Vision (I don't even know what this is).

The VINs last 8 digits are:RF53XXXX

Is this a confirmed '24? If so, I will proceed with the order.
Yes, RF is 2024

Reactions: JoeCal
Yes, RF is 2024
Great. Thanks for confirming! Oddly enough, I was assigned a VIN an hour after I texted Tesla regarding any '24 SPlaid updates, lol.

No price change about the color. So for everyone who locked in in December when colors were $0, there should be peace of mind there. Note that I never placed my order on hold, in case that changes anything.