Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for advice - should I:

1. Purchase a August 2023 demo Model S LR (is quality more known for demos because service has worked out any issues?)
2. Buy a 2024 Model S LR and hope the EPA issues clear in time to transfer FSD by the end of March
3. Pony up for a 2024 Model S Plaid (are there more reliability concerns with Plaid?)

Range is valuable to me because I live in a cold climate and have a long commute. I also value quality / no problems.

I have a 2018 Model S 100D that I LOVE.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Regarding your range concerns any of the models you have listed will likely meet or exceed the range of your 100D. The Palladium's are just more efficient. Our experience is that they much quieter also.

You probably have checked the Model S inventory for the Twin Cities area so you have some choices. As has been mentioned go the Tesla store you normally deal with and talk a person. As long you have placed your order before the deadline you should be fine. We have a FUSC transfer still intact since November of last year...

It appears that Eden Prairie is the only store not showing a Model S inventory but they are undergoing a major renovation. The other three do have inventory with Rogers having the most demo cars it seems. We plan to be in the Twin Cities next weekend to check out how many none inventory Model S are waiting the EPA certification paper work. I suspect one of them may be ours???

Just as long as you place the order before the deadline and don't refuse a car they have ready for you. I don't think anyone here will lose their transfers if the can't take delivery until early April because the cars couldn't be released.

You could also just buy an inventory MSP now. They're not on hold.
Thanks for the reply.

Is the MSLR more reliable than the MSP? It seems like more of the issues reported here are related to the MSP, but that may not be factual.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If the center horn isn't important, and you can get your hands on, look at, and drive the 2023 and you're happy with it, I'd probably go that route. The only downside is they're not discounting them yet.

You could also take a wait and see and hope/assume that at some point they will discount the '23 MSLRs. My suspicion is that the discount they had vanished because they know that if you want a new MSLR right now, you have no choice but to buy an inventory '23. I think when the EPA hold thing is done, you'll see deeper discounts on the '23s and they will be more discounted than the 3% they were in January.
I’m going to check out the horn on a ‘23 today. I drove a 2024 and think the horn would be better to have in the center. I’ll get cyber truck discount and a discount for a demo vehicle, too, if I choose the 2023 MSLR.

I wonder if getting a demo may have advantages because any kinks have been worked out at the showroom by Tesla.

Just entered my window after getting my VIN assigned 2/14. MSLR black, white, 19" & yoke. EDD 2/24 - 3/4. Will update if it changes or I hear anything from my SA.
I have had 14 changes to my EDD since ordering on 12/27. Sitting on 2/24-3/11 right now with no VIN. MSLR UR Cream 19” steering wheel.
My M3LR order in 2022 took 3 months so I guess I can’t complain but if not for this EPA issue I think I would have had it by now.

EDD unchanged again at 2/21-3/8.
1708795353720.png

So I wonder how many points we get for each EDD change?? And how do we redeem them?? I should probably keep better track..😂

Seriously though we haven't been paying as much attention the EDD anymore. We want car badly like everyone here but we'll wait em out..

I keep saying Tesla owners are a crazy bunch. But we had another car with a plug from one of the legacy companys. The car was good maybe even great but dealing with local dealerships and corporate with issues just plain sucked :mad:. That is still why the legacy manufactures are failing miserably withe their EV efforts. Consequently Tesla gets away with a lot.

Alright folks, some good news because I was hyper aggressive with keeping track of inventory. Found my exact spec within 150 miles of San Antonio and is incoming. Called corporate and they simply assigned the car to my existing RN, no additional order fee, etc. my EDD is now 3/7 - 3/13.

Why that car was not originally matched to my RN is beyond me... I would still love to see the criteria behind the scenes which triggers a VIN to be matched. I have a hunch there are opportunities to make it more efficient!

Alright folks, some good news because I was hyper aggressive with keeping track of inventory. Found my exact spec within 150 miles of San Antonio and is incoming. Called corporate and they simply assigned the car to my existing RN, no additional order fee, etc. my EDD is now 3/7 - 3/13.

Why that car was not originally matched to my RN is beyond me... I would still love to see the criteria behind the scenes which triggers a VIN to be matched. I have a hunch there are opportunities to make it more efficient!
Funny, the same exact spec MSLR I ordered is at the service center where I'll be picking mine up. It shows as available now. I asked and they said they won't give it to me. Unless I pay the extra $2500.

I need a car, order is for the LR, but I just found a Plaid that’s in inventory with my spec - I’m calling corporate now (on hold) and asking if they’ll match it to my RN.

How can I find out if the Plaid was declined by its owner?