Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They don’t pay tax.
Tesla certainly can and does collect sales tax where necessary, so no idea why that would change anything.

Unrelated to that, pickup today went incredibly well. I was late / my flight to Harrisburg was delayed but the pickup was as easy as I expected.

Walked to the car with my name on it, spent as much time as I felt necessary to crawl inside and outside the car, no concerns there whatsoever.

Inside the car waiting for me was a clipboard with a few forms that needed wet signatures. Once I was done examining the car, I brought the clipboard inside along with the check. Was ready to roll a couple minutes later once they printed out the temporary plate.

The car looks and drives fantastically. Beyond pleased. You’d never know it wasn’t brand new. Was detailed out, couldn’t find one thing to complain about.

Truly a great experience, all the way around!

Attachments

• D7AF8FAC-71FB-448A-A155-A583443BC9C8.jpeg
    D7AF8FAC-71FB-448A-A155-A583443BC9C8.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 161
  • CA846C9B-08C9-4E43-A518-0BD6775FB2C8.jpeg
    CA846C9B-08C9-4E43-A518-0BD6775FB2C8.jpeg
    487.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 9D770063-EB1E-4CE5-BBEF-FC3E97814519.jpeg
    9D770063-EB1E-4CE5-BBEF-FC3E97814519.jpeg
    573.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 4DFB1D6B-A62C-4E10-8AB0-E4D7B70F371D.jpeg
    4DFB1D6B-A62C-4E10-8AB0-E4D7B70F371D.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 138
In MSP, there are 10 2023 S’s that haven’t moved during the past month. I think 9 are brand new and include my dream car: a long range, blue with white interior. They’re all indicate “for local sale.” I assume they’re not moving because they cost 100k. Not a lot of regular folks will spend that on a car. Not sure how things are faring at the Porsche store right next door.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla certainly can and does collect sales tax where necessary, so no idea why that would change anything.

Unrelated to that, pickup today went incredibly well. I was late / my flight to Harrisburg was delayed but the pickup was as easy as I expected.

Walked to the car with my name on it, spent as much time as I felt necessary to crawl inside and outside the car, no concerns there whatsoever.

Inside the car waiting for me was a clipboard with a few forms that needed wet signatures. Once I was done examining the car, I brought the clipboard inside along with the check. Was ready to roll a couple minutes later once they printed out the temporary plate.

The car looks and drives fantastically. Beyond pleased. You’d never know it wasn’t brand new. Was detailed out, couldn’t find one thing to complain about.

Truly a great experience, all the way around!
Beautiful car and pickup experience. I really like how they set up the paper work and congratulations inside. Brand new 2023? Looks like it has USS.

Reactions: dmurphy
Beautiful car and pickup experience. I really like how they set up the paper work and congratulations inside. Brand new 2023? Looks like it has USS.

Thanks everyone!! It’s a 2021, so still has USS.

I really feel bad for folks when I see a poor pickup experience. Our centers here in the NJ/DE/PA area really are excellent. This is the kind of pickup that’s the norm here, not the exception… as it should be.

I’ve said for years that Tesla should be sending all their service and sales managers here so they can observe how it’s done right.

The paperwork couldn’t have been any easier. Couple signatures, bring the clipboard and check inside, they process the registration and temporary plate, and I was off. No arguments, no “pay for it before I show you”, none of that. Just the premium experience we all deserve.

I’ll take a family photo shortly - we’ve got an S, 3 and X in the driveway now. All in Pearl White!

In Chicago area I am seeing $12k off Plaids and $10k off LR. Strange because I expected to see other incentives (like free suoercharging) before price cuts. And they have not officially lowered the sticker prices, just offering discounts. Maybe they learned when abruptly cutting 3 and Y why car manufacturers do not just drop prices wholesale.

I think I will wait until they drop the sticker prices.

I wouldn't want to bet that Tesla, "A software company" does not have the proper algorithms to manage supply and demand just fine.

They have the largest margins in the industry.

A while back, there was a glut of plaids. Where did they all go?

I suspect after March 1st, the LR inventory will be mostly gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tesla may be kinda Osborne-ing themselves into a corner slightly with all the recent leaks and announcements about upcoming radar, higher resolution cameras (validated by some photos online here and there) plus the missing Steam gameplay software capability on the prior X/S models. Again just a hunch...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Tesla may be kinda Osborne-ing themselves into a corner slightly with all the recent leaks and announcements about upcoming radar, higher resolution cameras (validated by some photos online here and there) plus the missing Steam gameplay software capability on the prior X/S models. Again just a hunch...
Osborne was a small start up, Tesla is well established with cash.

They could afford to make everyone whole on missing features, and still be profitable.

Lucid is more likely to suffer from Tesla Osborne-ing, they have a demand problem as it is...

In Chicago area I am seeing $12k off Plaids and $10k off LR. Strange because I expected to see other incentives (like free suoercharging) before price cuts. And they have not officially lowered the sticker prices, just offering discounts. Maybe they learned when abruptly cutting 3 and Y why car manufacturers do not just drop prices wholesale.

I think I will wait until they drop the sticker prices.

Discounts (beyond dropping the MSRP) at Tesla have been around for many years. Not really a new thing. However, the overall industry supply chain issues and inventory shortage issues in 2022 were a bit more unique and manufacturers and/or dealers took advantage of this (temporary situation) by increasing prices. As things are starting to return more to normal, prices have started to come down. As you noted, discounts on MS Plaid and LR models are $10k to $12k or more... and this is on top of the MSRP reductions in January.

They have the largest margins in the industry.

That's a bit misleading, though. A reason Tesla has the or one of the largest margins in the industry is because they operate not only as a manufacturer but also as a dealer. Tesla's margin is BOTH manufacturer margin and dealership margin combined while other automaker margins are just at the manufacturer level.

That's a bit misleading, though. A reason Tesla has the or one of the largest margins in the industry is because they operate not only as a manufacturer but also as a dealer. Tesla's margin is BOTH manufacturer margin and dealership margin combined while other automaker margins are just at the manufacturer level.
True but Rivian and Lucid operate the same way and their margins aren’t anywhere close.