Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to live in IL. They wont sell outside states.
I don't understand why Tesla's website displays cars to me that they can't or won't sell to me. They know my location (they ask for it) and the location of the cars being displayed, so how hard would it be to filter out the ones they won't sell? Very annoying to see a car I like and then read way down to the bottom of the details page only to discover it can't be sold in my state.
For that matter, I do not understand why Tesla can't sell it anywhere they want, anyway. Other companies ship cars from place to place to make a sale, right?

I don't understand why Tesla's website displays cars to me that they can't or won't sell to me. They know my location (they ask for it) and the location of the cars being displayed, so how hard would it be to filter out the ones they won't sell? Very annoying to see a car I like and then read way down to the bottom of the details page only to discover it can't be sold in my state.
For that matter, I do not understand why Tesla can't sell it anywhere they want, anyway. Other companies ship cars from place to place to make a sale, right?
Tesla can sell (US) inventory cars anywhere in the US and they used to, you would just pay a shipping fee determined by location/distance. They stopped doing that in the interest of efficiency, like pretty much every other thing they've done/changed in recent years.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29
State laws. The dirty auto industry gets big tax on this. Tesla has disrupted all of this, and is at the mercy of the states that sell them. Just buy used.
u can test drive one and like me I found FSD and USS on a perfect 2022 Under 100k (Plaid). I will never buy new from tesla again!!!!!

State laws. The dirty auto industry gets big tax on this. Tesla has disrupted all of this, and is at the mercy of the states that sell them.

I don't think this issue has anything to do with "state laws" or the "dirty auto industry" and is more about how Tesla itself has recently chosen to distribute inventories/sales for some reason. Tesla didn't used to restrict registration of cars to specific states e.g., you didn't see things like "This car can only be registered in DE, ME, NH, NJ, VT" as you do now.

Would someone please let me know when they execute another price drop for the MSP? 🤣

I’ve got my order in and am anxiously hoping that if there are any more price drops, there before my order is completed. We bought an MYP for my wife a month ago and it’s already dropped $5K in price, ugh!

Reactions: Kare101
I don't think this issue has anything to do with "state laws" or the "dirty auto industry" and is more about how Tesla itself has recently chosen to distribute inventories/sales for some reason. Tesla didn't used to restrict registration of cars to specific states e.g., you didn't see things like "This car can only be registered in DE, ME, NH, NJ, VT" as you do now.
Would someone please let me know when they execute another price drop for the MSP? 🤣

I’ve got my order in and am anxiously hoping that if there are any more price drops, there before my order is completed. We bought an MYP for my wife a month ago and it’s already dropped $5K in price, ugh!

It dropped another $3000 today! (MY/M3)

I got a VIN but seriously may refuse it and put my order on hold. I hopes of another price drop. Even if price goes up my current price locked in but will be adjusted if it drops.

I got a VIN but seriously may refuse it and put my order on hold. I hopes of another price drop. Even if price goes up my current price locked in but will be adjusted if it drops.
I dont see the downside in that. Don't accept any car unless it is perfect. You are allowed one rejection or a hold, and after that all you loose is the order fee.

Might want to buy your MC now though.

2 things I’ll never have on my MSPlaid or any car
1. 19 inch wheels
2. Mud flaps

No offense 😉
I use to think the same until i bust two tires and damaged my rims on my M3P. I am gonna try out the 19s but when it comes time to buy new tires I will get 20s from T sport. I want a smooth comfortable ride.
The plaid for 20k more just doesn’t make sense for me. Trying to decide if I want mud flaps since I am getting impact PPF.

With the reduced pricing of the 3/Y and now qualifying for the tax credit, it makes it even harder to justify the S/X purchase.

If something happened to my S, I always figured I would replace it with another S. Now, I think I’d go with a Y. The pricing of a MYLR is just too good.

(And still get a CT.)
Why would a tax credit factor into the decision to justify S/X purchase? I do not understand the logic here. Most folks that can afford the S/X would not qualify for the tax credit anyways. Or maybe they would stretch but I can speak to that type of foolishness.

Reactions: StevenSD and brkaus
Why would a tax credit factor into the decision to justify S/X purchase? I do not understand the logic here. Most folks that can afford the S/X would not qualify for the tax credit anyways. Or maybe they would stretch but I can speak to that type of foolishness.
Depends.

“A Model S owner's annual income is over $150,000. - The average annual income of a Tesla Model S owner is $151,096.Jun 11, 2022”

“If you're single, and your modified adjusted gross income is over $150,000, you won't qualify for the EV tax credit. The EV tax credit income limit for married couples who are filing jointly is $300,000”

Yes, average is 151 but that means several are under. People could also pay with cap gains, savings, etc.

And if filing head of household (which I do), that bumps the income threshold up to 225k.

As far as “stretching”, yes I’d say many people stretch to get a Tesla. I was foolish to pay half my annual salary for one but it also convinced me to invest in TSLA so in the end, it worked out.

Since my OP on Feb 1, MS prices have come down dramatically which now makes the MS much more enticing again. I can now buy a new plaid for what I paid for my 2017 MS90D. That’s amazing. I wouldn’t have paid the original 140k.

no way the price goes up this year
This aged well.

To be fair, as of Wednesday, I also would have said the exact same thing.

Since the last drop – evening of Apr 6 – I've been waiting for another drop, especially on local inventory demo models. Discounted inventory was actually cheaper (due to a significantly higher discount $-amount) before the S and X prices dropped. The bulk adjustment to inventory prices increased the cost by CAD $8-12K on a few I was watching. I messaged the Tesla rep on the 7th if I could get the prior's day price (given it was demo and it was a price DROP) but no bueno. But I've been expecting that older price to represent their true floor and had been holding out. Whoops.

Some random data: Monitoring specific Model X it seems, on average, the discount increases by about $70 per day. (Not every day actually has an adjustment.) On one six seater X the discount was $17,560 prior to Apr 6, then dropped to $4,540 but has steadily increased to $5,620. This is still $10,000 more expensive with the base price rollercoaster.