Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla really Tesla'ing these past 24 hours....demo cars that looked a great value had their discount halved after Sunday's $5k "price adjustment"....CS say they won't make change to the vehicle price for demos at this time....additionally nobody at CS can answer about HW4 with upgraded cameras and high res radar....they just say no USS and moving to Vision is the info we have....seems safe to say the Feb and March build cars have indeed moved to HW4 though...I'll probably go that route but Tesla really don't do themselves any favors with all the weird secrecy....
Discounts on the S are around 5k at best in my area and the Xs are like 1k off, really seems like a big mess to me. Tesla is Tesla’ing and purposefully leaving everyone in the dark.

Reactions: mm9351
34 new inventory Model S's in the Chicago area, has stayed more or less at that level since this thread began in January. And now with basically no discount after this latest price drop. If they bring back a ~$5K discount for inventory, a new LR would be $79K, and I'm ready to bite at that level.

Reactions: dn325ci
34 new inventory Model S's in the Chicago area, has stayed more or less at that level since this thread began in January. And now with basically no discount after this latest price drop. If they bring back a ~$5K discount for inventory, a new LR would be $79K, and I'm ready to bite at that level.
I can’t believe I can buy a new Plaid for the same price as what I paid for my S90D in 2017. Wow. Unreal. A lot more range, better charging curve, twice as quick, better interior. Sooooooo tempting. But my car still drives like new even with almost 96k miles on it. And I’m waiting for the CT to replace my second vehicle. Don’t really want to spend 200k on two vehicles so soon.

Some day….

Reactions: Pricedm
You have to live in IL. They wont sell outside states.

I can’t believe I can buy a new Plaid for the same price as what I paid for my S90D in 2017. Wow. Unreal. A lot more range, better charging curve, twice as quick, better interior. Sooooooo tempting. But my car still drives like new even with almost 96k miles on it. And I’m waiting for the CT to replace my second vehicle. Don’t really want to spend 200k on two vehicles so soon.

Some day….
For a real kick in the pants, compare a new MSLR in every category to something like a P85D w/Ludicrous that was nearly twice the price (fully featured). That was a crazy comparison back when the Raven LR came out but it's even crazier now in the performance category.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
For a real kick in the pants, compare a new MSLR in every category to something like a P85D w/Ludicrous that was nearly twice the price (fully featured). That was a crazy comparison back when the Raven LR came out but it's even crazier now in the performance category.
True and performance vehicles often take a bigger hit. But I try to look at it as I’d rather get a good deal on my next purchase rather than over pay again. Yes, the current value of my car has dropped but it is offset a bit by the new car price drop. (And hopefully lower insurance.).

You have to live in IL. They wont sell outside states.
Yup, fortunately I do.

The MSLR at 84K equals 68K in March 2015 after adjusting for inflation, so yeah, about half of what I paid for my P85D+. And better overall performance, range, and interior, more or less.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
True and performance vehicles often take a bigger hit. But I try to look at it as I’d rather get a good deal on my next purchase rather than over pay again. Yes, the current value of my car has dropped but it is offset a bit by the new car price drop. (And hopefully lower insurance.).
I've seen this posted here but the data doesn't support it. If you're talking absolutely dollars then sure but that only makes sense since it starts life at a higher price point. The actual depreciation curve is basically the same between the Model S Performance Variants and Long Range variants.

In fact, the Performance variants tend to have a slightly flatter depreciation curve and I'm sure it's due to fewer versions being available. Simple supply v. demand economics at play with a hint of higher desirability.

That's what the data says, anyway. If you want opinion, I think the Performance variants of all types will hold value better long term since they will be more sought after since the older car communities tend to start coveting the higher performance versions of almost any car over the entry-level versions of the same vehicle.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I've seen this posted here but the data doesn't support it. If you're talking absolutely dollars then sure but that only makes sense since it starts life at a higher price point. The actual depreciation curve is basically the same between the Model S Performance Variants and Long Range variants.

In fact, the Performance variants tend to have a slightly flatter depreciation curve and I'm sure it's due to fewer versions being available. Simple supply v. demand economics at play with a hint of higher desirability.

That's what the data says, anyway. If you want opinion, I think the Performance variants of all types will hold value better long term since they will be more sought after since the older car communities tend to start coveting the higher performance versions of almost any car over the entry-level versions of the same vehicle.
The cost of the 2022 used plaid I purchased was 156k new. It had FSD and everything.

I paid less that 100k for it. The S refresh got killed. I would argue the biggest loss of any car ever over a one year period.

I

So your data pool consists of a sample size of exactly one.
Go to car guru. the actual hit on them is huge. Asking is one thing selling for or auction price is another. If you’re looking, the used market is pretty good, may even find a FSD in the mix that a dealership has no clue about like I did. The Mercedes dealership I purchased mine from had no clue it had FSD.

Reactions: GeoX750 and Pricedm
Go to car guru. the actual hit on them is huge. Asking is one thing selling for or auction price is another. If you’re looking, the used market is pretty good, may even find a FSD in the mix that a dealership has no clue about like I did. The Mercedes dealership I purchased mine from had no clue it had FSD.

which is yet another data point about purchasing FSD for $15,000. Had many yell at me when I said it offered little trade in value and just do subscription

which is yet another data point about purchasing FSD for $15,000. Had many yell at me when I said it offered little trade in value and just do subscription
Never buy new FSD or the 21’ wheels. Not like they are giving you the 19’s also. I don’t know what all this data points talk is, I am sure I got a great deal with a wonderful Plaid. I wouldn’t be saying that if I purchased new a month ago even after the price drops. I mean really no USS. If you don’t believe me that the 2021 plaids have lost their arse start a thread. ask current owners if they are happy about the price drops or depreciation.
heck I got offered 12,100 bucks from tesla on my 2019 model 3 performance trade. I sold it for 30k I purchased it for 52k quite a loss.
I have heard of tesla offering 60k for a used trade plaid.
I use this,
its free and saved me thousands.

Reactions: GeoX750
This is so depressing. Until I remembered my realized gains in TSLA since 2017 pretty much paid for the move from a used '15 to a new '22 LR.

Never buy new FSD or the 21’ wheels. Not like they are giving you the 19’s also. I don’t know what all this data points talk is, I am sure I got a great deal with a wonderful Plaid. I wouldn’t be saying that if I purchased new a month ago even after the price drops. I mean really no USS. If you don’t believe me that the 2021 plaids have lost their arse start a thread. ask current owners if they are happy about the price drops or depreciation.
heck I got offered 12,100 bucks from tesla on my 2019 model 3 performance trade. I sold it for 30k I purchased it for 52k quite a loss.
I have heard of tesla offering 60k for a used trade plaid.
I use this,
its free and saved me thousands.

Trust me. I have a 2021 S Plaid. Bought it with 10k miles from Tesla for $120,000. Got a trade in offer when I ordered the red 2023 S plaid for $76,000. Have owned it 9 months

• Informative