Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends.

“A Model S owner's annual income is over $150,000. - The average annual income of a Tesla Model S owner is $151,096.Jun 11, 2022”

“If you're single, and your modified adjusted gross income is over $150,000, you won't qualify for the EV tax credit. The EV tax credit income limit for married couples who are filing jointly is $300,000”

Yes, average is 151 but that means several are under. People could also pay with cap gains, savings, etc.

And if filing head of household (which I do), that bumps the income threshold up to 225k.

As far as “stretching”, yes I’d say many people stretch to get a Tesla. I was foolish to pay half my annual salary for one but it also convinced me to invest in TSLA so in the end, it worked out.

Since my OP on Feb 1, MS prices have come down dramatically which now makes the MS much more enticing again. I can now buy a new plaid for what I paid for my 2017 MS90D. That’s amazing. I wouldn’t have paid the original 140k.
Point taken although I disagree. Maybe for the rest of the country but I can only speak to bay area California and most "S" owners like myself don't qualify for the tax credit. And I'm sure there are always folks outside of California that are more budget conscious and may qualify for the tax credit and desire the "S/X" over the "3/Y". I would assume those folks would be bargain hunting and waiting and hoping for a larger price adjustment to jump in as the pain would be too wide to afford either car at these prices. I don't think we'll see more downward adjustment in price unless Tesla announces a redesign and more features as what happened in late 2020.

Point taken although I disagree. Maybe for the rest of the country but I can only speak to bay area California and most "S" owners like myself don't qualify for the tax credit. And I'm sure there are always folks outside of California that are more budget conscious and may qualify for the tax credit and desire the "S/X" over the "3/Y". I would assume those folks would be bargain hunting and waiting and hoping for a larger price adjustment to jump in as the pain would be too wide to afford either car at these prices. I don't think we'll see more downward adjustment in price unless Tesla announces a redesign and more features as what happened in late 2020.
any more price adjustments and I may even consider selling the MS '22 LR for the Ultra Red Plaid Model X with HW4 and FSD. I would take a hit on the resale but the price adjustment will make up for some of the difference...

I live in MI. A bit different than CA. Looks like SX prices are going back up a bit.

Last edited:
I don’t really see it as where someone lives. The tax credit phases out at an objectively low income level relative to $100k car. No one that makes $150k, or even $225k as head of household or $300k married given both of those statuses just come with more financial responsibility, should be dumping over $100k on a car. Of course I realize lots of people do, but my guess is that $150k average really isn’t coming from a ton of people at the edges the way a brand like Porsche works. I’d bet that it’s pretty tightly clustered around that $150k single, $300k married mark.

Either way I can see Tesla dumping the S/X down into tax credit range if sales remains as dismal as they’ve been. They were getting close before this silly hike.

I don’t really see it as where someone lives. The tax credit phases out at an objectively low income level relative to $100k car. No one that makes $150k, or even $225k as head of household or $300k married given both of those statuses just come with more financial responsibility, should be dumping over $100k on a car. Of course I realize lots of people do, but my guess is that $150k average really isn’t coming from a ton of people at the edges the way a brand like Porsche works. I’d bet that it’s pretty tightly clustered around that $150k single, $300k married mark.

Either way I can see Tesla dumping the S/X down into tax credit range if sales remains as dismal as they’ve been. They were getting close before this silly hike.

I am talking about an 80k car, not 100k with current tax credit rules. Starting MX 75D were 80k in 2018.

Never said that everyone who qualifies, should buy. Not all situations are the same.

Some people do have a better financial situation than simply living paycheck to paycheck even if they do qualify for the tax credit. Part of the reason can be due to lower cost of living. Can even be partially retired and earn just a bit of income. And yes, the Tesla “stretch” is a thing albeit usually for the 3/Y. I never said all would qualify, should buy. In fact, most shouldn’t. Just having it partially qualify price wise would be good advertising. Other vehicles like the Rivian are 80k and partially qualify. Makes good marketing even if most buyers don’t qualify.

Buying a new car is financially unwise almost no matter what.

But as you state, prices going back up.

Last edited:
2023 Model S Model S Plaid $5000 off inventory pricing today June 02 2023
2023 Model S
Model S Plaid

$113,240 VS $118,240

You can currently get new inventory MS Plaids for as little as $105,130 ($103,490 + destination and order fees). Compare that to the $137,440 price at the beginning of the year. A savings of over $32,000 or 23.5%.

At the end of the day, most cars have depreciating value. The 2021 era seems like a once in a lifetime event. Buy it when you think it’s a good and don’t look back. Enjoy the car. Just think of the model 3 buyers in 2022 for $60k and you can get it now for $37k minus fed credit.

I count 29 Plaids in FL
Should’ve said South Florida. Sorry.
IMG_6048.png

Just pulled the trigger on an inventory MSLR - white/black, 19”, steering wheel.

Trading in my trusty 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. It’s been an incredible vehicle - 50k trouble free miles - but I couldnt pass up on the discounts + 3 years of supercharging.

Delivery date was assigned almost immediately- 6/28. I’m just hoping they can process my trade-in estimate by then.

My last Model S was a 2016 75D - looking forward to experiencing the refresh S!

Please explain that math. I have a 2022 never have i seen it 60
I was referring to people buying the LR, lowest price was $57990 but most will buy it with the upgraded wheels and it easily goes up to $60k. I rarely see SR back then. We’re going off topic here. And it’s not apples to apples. I know some people who bough between July -September 2022 with major fomo and pick that $60k config because that was the only available back then. Now there’s so many availability at $37-39k.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I was referring to people buying the LR, lowest price was $57990 but most will buy it with the upgraded wheels and it easily goes up to $60k. I rarely see SR back then. We’re going off topic here. And it’s not apples to apples. I know some people who bough between July -September 2022 with major fomo and pick that $60k config because that was the only available back then. Now there’s so many availability at $37-39k.

Just pulled the trigger on an inventory MSLR - white/black, 19”, steering wheel.

Trading in my trusty 2018 Model 3 LR RWD. It’s been an incredible vehicle - 50k trouble free miles - but I couldnt pass up on the discounts + 3 years of supercharging.

Delivery date was assigned almost immediately- 6/28. I’m just hoping they can process my trade-in estimate by then.

My last Model S was a 2016 75D - looking forward to experiencing the refresh S!
I am considering pulling the trigger on an inventory vehicle. Do you also get a discount when ordering from factory?

Reactions: zoomer0056