Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets lighted vanity mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per this thread on Reddit.

fj2f1zb0znk01.jpg

The guy who posted it noted odd issues with this car including a side mirror with the wrong paint color. Perhaps the lighted mirror was a model 3 part unintentionally installed in a model s.
There was also discussion of an interior rear facing camera that was later dismissed.
Too bad...now no hope of a future feature where the vanity mirror light automatically comes on when the camera sees that you’re having a bad hair day.
D1A0B6EE-EC10-4617-9743-BC8A31D27393.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Kant.Ing
The guy who posted it noted odd issues with this car including a side mirror with the wrong paint color. Perhaps the lighted mirror was a model 3 part unintentionally installed in a model s.
There was also discussion of an interior rear facing camera that was later dismissed.
Too bad...now no hope of a future feature where the vanity mirror light automatically comes on when the camera sees that you’re having a bad hair day.
View attachment 285273
The visors for the Model 3 are completely different than the visors on the Model S, not to mention that the visor shown is black.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
So I wonder if his unused wire under the microphone cover is now being used (the one most people use to hook up a dash cam).
That's for a motion sensor that is used on export cars. On cars made for at least the last few years, there are unused connectors that are taped back in the front headliner harness that appear to be for lighted mirrors.

Hello
I'm the OP from the reddit forum. First time owner here and super happy with the car (in the past 10 hours I've owned it!) :)

To answer some questions -- I'll get back about the dash cam hookup. I was planning on putting a Blackvue and hooking it up to the always on 12v. I hope they didn't use that to power the lighted vanity.

I doubt they retrofitted model 3 visors in my S but the flap that covers the mirror reminded me of the flap on the model 3. I too was hoping for a selfie cam like the model 3 or a more powerful MCU. The interface does feel a bit laggy when interacting with it.

• Informative
Reactions: TechOps and DIL
Hello
I'm the OP from the reddit forum. First time owner here and super happy with the car (in the past 10 hours I've owned it!) :)

To answer some questions -- I'll get back about the dash cam hookup. I was planning on putting a Blackvue and hooking it up to the always on 12v. I hope they didn't use that to power the lighted vanity.

I doubt they retrofitted model 3 visors in my S but the flap that covers the mirror reminded me of the flap on the model 3. I too was hoping for a selfie cam like the model 3 or a more powerful MCU. The interface does feel a bit laggy when interacting with it.
I would be extremely surprised to see them use the connector in the middle for the visors. You should not have a problem with your camera install.

View attachment 285273
There is one other person in the reddit thread who also got lighted mirrors from a February production build date.

That connector was for the alarm not offered in NA if I recall correctly.

Nope. It was for vanity lights. The early S I test drove back in 2012 actually had vanity lights. They were two round "button" lights that looked like the ones in the headliner. When I took delivery, I was told Elon didn't like the style and that they would be retrofitted when redesigned.

My fuse block diagram in my paper owners manual (yep, they were paper back then) even has a fuse labeled Vanity Lights and it controls that wire behind the microphone grille that people, including me, have their dash cams connected to.

Nope. It was for vanity lights. The early S I test drove back in 2012 actually had vanity lights. They were two round "button" lights that looked like the ones in the headliner. When I took delivery, I was told Elon didn't like the style and that they would be retrofitted when redesigned.

My fuse block diagram in my paper owners manual (yep, they were paper back then) even has a fuse labeled Vanity Lights and it controls that wire behind the microphone grille that people, including me, have their dash cams connected to.
Nope, in Euro cars, there is a sensor plugged into that empty plug.

From my Owners Manual. Pulling this fuse kills the power to that plug:
View attachment 285360
It can say whatever it wants to say, but on export cars, that plug is used for a motion sensor. You can search for it here and see pictures of it. Also, if you look at the pic of the underside of the headliner I posted above, you can see the plugs that are supposed to be used for the lighted vanity mirrors bundled and taped up to the rest of the roof harness.

It can say whatever it wants to say, but on export cars, that plug is used for a motion sensor.

Look, all I'm saying is that the test drive car I drove in 2011 had lights, I was told they used this plug for them and was also told I'd get a retrofit. My car was delivered before any cars were going outside of the US and Canada. For a while, that plug disappeared altogether, then started showing up again. My guess is that they scrapped the idea of vanity lights and reinstated the connector for the export cars which, by then, were in production.

On my car pulling that fuse cuts the power to that socket. I tested this when I used it for my dash cam.