Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S gets lighted vanity mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There only $50 installed by Tesla and wired, so not sure it's worth the hassle, mine are getting installed Monday. They kinda shocked me when they asked if they do you want us to install them, and when I asked if that including the wiring as well they said yes, so I guess I'll have good phones and connectors used officially on Monday.
But what is the vintage of your Model S? According to various postings on the TMC forum, older versions had the wiring for power to the visor mount area already in place (which would make a $50 installation pricey, as all that would be involved is use of a torx wrench to remove the old visors and install the new ones, and fingers to plug the power into the base of the visor), but this wiring was omitted in more recent versions of the S. Also, if you have dashcams installed which tap into power in the mic housing (as I do) Tesla may either mess with that, or refuse to do the installation altogether. So the issue of paying Tesla to install is not as clear as it might seem at first...

do u really upgrade the old ones?
yes, i do
so please people, sent me your old visors!!

IMG_5787.JPG

But what is the vintage of your Model S? According to various postings on the TMC forum, older versions had the wiring for power to the visor mount area already in place (which would make a $50 installation pricey, as all that would be involved is use of a torx wrench to remove the old visors and install the new ones, and fingers to plug the power into the base of the visor), but this wiring was omitted in more recent versions of the S. Also, if you have dashcams installed which tap into power in the mic housing (as I do) Tesla may either mess with that, or refuse to do the installation altogether. So the issue of paying Tesla to install is not as clear as it might seem at first...

Just call and ask Tesla, doesn't cost anything to inquire.

I have identified the connector and contacted the vendor (JST), and talked to the very helpful person who specified the part for Tesla. Here are the JST part numbers:
PNIRR-02VF (=receptacle housing/ pin contacts) <== what is on the visor
PNIRP-02V-S (=socket housings, socket contact) <== the mate to the above, needed on wires connected to power.

Wohoo, this is pretty nice! I wish I had these part numbers before my conversion, then it would have been relatively simple to construct a short conversion cable.
I believe the old Model S does use a "Molex" 2-pin connector on the car side harness. Here is a picture of the ones I cut off if someone wants to make some research for the actual name and part number:
old_car_side_connector.jpg

Btw, for the EU readers: I just checked out the part numbers used for the new sun visors in the EU Model S from a local Show Room visit. They are not listed in the official parts catalog for some reason.

BLACK Alcantara EU
ASY SUNVISOR LH ULTRASUEDE BLACK EU* (1143824-46-B)
ASY SUNVISOR RH ULTRASUEDE BLACK EU* (1143825-46-B)

CREAM Alcantara EU
ASY SUNVISOR LH CREAM ALCANTARA* (1143824-47-B)
ASY SUNVISOR RH CREAM ALCANTARA* (1143825-47-B)

*Since I don't have the part description, this is just my best guess based on the description of the US/NA version.

Wohoo, this is pretty nice! I wish I had these part numbers before my conversion, then it would have been relatively simple to construct a short conversion cable.

Would it, though? These connectors are tiny, and I don't see how I could attach wires
to them without some custom crimping tool. I am engaged in a discussion with JST to get some connectors with attached wires made up for me, but the smallest batch they
will do would be 20 (enough for 10 Model S vehicles -- but that's better than DigiKey , who were asking for a minimum order of 1000 units!), so I am tentatively reaching out to other owners who might be interested in getting some connector/wire sets, to split the cost of this special order. I'm guessing with shipping it would come to about $15-20 per vehicle (for a pair of wired connectors, sufficient to do the visors of one car). We still need to figure out what connectors to use at the other end of these units, to tap into the 12V supply in the grilled microphone housing near the rear view mirror (presumably some sort of vampire tap), and I'd also like to figure out if this is going to interfere with my existing dashcam installation, and with the ability to install Tesla's intrusion alarm option (new to the US, but established in Europe), which occupies the same space. I'm worried here about: 1) wiring mess; 2) excessive current draw on the associated fuse; 3) making Tesla fuss about doing service. If @JPP, @migselv, or any other DIYer here has thoughts on these issues, please share them.

If you might be interested in getting one of the wiring sets that I hope to have made, send me a PM; I will start keeping a list. No promises yet, as things are still in the air. Thanks to @JPP and @migselv for sharing their helpful comments about doing retrofits of the new extensible/illuminated visors.

There only $50 installed by Tesla and wired, so not sure it's worth the hassle, [...]

I am still trying to get word from my local service center as to whether or not they would install my new extensible/illuminated visors for $50, in which case that is the route I would follow. However, @BigD0g displays his location as "Somewhere," the vintage of his Model S is unclear, and there are variations in policy between Service Centers, so it's far from clear as to whether his experience will apply to owners whose vehicles do not have the pre-installed wiring harness tucked up in the headliner near the visor mount.

Last edited:
Hi All,

So I just recently purchased a Model S and of course no lighted vanity mirror. I am asking my local Tesla service center to purchase the lighted mirrors (thanks to this post for the part #). I removed the sun shade and peeled back some of the headliner but cannot find the plug that is supposed to be there. I guess my year (2017) did not have that plug in the harness.

I did find the attached 2 locations: some wires in the center headliner (above the mirror, behind the grill area) and also along the A-Pillar I do see some wires.

Question: Has anyone tried to splice some power from either of these locations into the lighted mirrors?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Attachments

• A Pillar.jpg
    A Pillar.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 167
  • Center headliner.jpg
    Center headliner.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 153
Hi All,

So I just recently purchased a Model S and of course no lighted vanity mirror. I am asking my local Tesla service center to purchase the lighted mirrors (thanks to this post for the part #). I removed the sun shade and peeled back some of the headliner but cannot find the plug that is supposed to be there. I guess my year (2017) did not have that plug in the harness.

I did find the attached 2 locations: some wires in the center headliner (above the mirror, behind the grill area) and also along the A-Pillar I do see some wires.

Question: Has anyone tried to splice some power from either of these locations into the lighted mirrors?

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Look upthread--#79

I think I covered it.....

I tried to Order a set of Vanity mirrors from Sunnyvale Tesla and they refused to sell them to me saying that my car does not have the option for those mirrors so they cannot order them for my car. Even after I told them that I just want to pay for the vanity mirrors and will install them myself.

Anyone else get this from their dealership? Can anyone recommend a Tesla location that WILL order them for me?

I tried to Order a set of Vanity mirrors from Sunnyvale Tesla and they refused to sell them to me saying that my car does not have the option for those mirrors so they cannot order them for my car. Even after I told them that I just want to pay for the vanity mirrors and will install them myself.

Anyone else get this from their dealership? Can anyone recommend a Tesla location that WILL order them for me?

I had no issues ordering from my SC, they are not restricted parts.