Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to correct a few things in this...

6 AWG copper, THHN, 90 deg C, is good up to 75 amps. The 6 AWG rated for 105 deg C in the HPWC is good up to 85 amps.

The install guide for the HPWC says 3 AWG for the power conductors, and 6 AWG is sufficient for ground.

6-3 would not burn down the house at 100 amps, although it would get quite warm.

And to the poster, get yourself a new electrician. :)

Thank you for the clarifications FlasherZ!

Had the Tesla recommended vendor in Chicago area come out to quote the install of a 50amp or 100amp wire with 45' line to the garage. A lot more work than I anticipated. Approx $1500-2000 for the 50amp and approx $2500-3000 for the 100amp. Doesn't sound like the HPWC is effective with the 50amp, so it looks like an unexpected $2500-3000 cost for car ownership. Hopefully in 10 years I can look back with Tesla #3 and be happy with the amortized low cost of the install.

That sounds a little high. Should be about $350 for parts and the rest is labor and permit (if any)

Permit was about $250 of the quoted amount. Was told it would likely be an all-day labor to run the wire since through a finished basement. I'm guessing a 10% overcharge for the Tesla preferred vendor status. Is there any truth to their story that Tesla will stand behind or help remedy any defects problems arising from the electrical work if I use the recommended vendor? That is what they told me.

Permit was about $250 of the quoted amount. Was told it would likely be an all-day labor to run the wire since through a finished basement. I'm guessing a 10% overcharge for the Tesla preferred vendor status. Is there any truth to their story that Tesla will stand behind or help remedy any defects problems arising from the electrical work if I use the recommended vendor? That is what they told me.

All I have to say is "Welcome to Chicago!"

Your permit fee is probably right at ~$250. Parts for a 14-50 install at that length are about $300-350 wholesale for Chicago requirements (see below). And if it takes a 2-man team 4 hours to work through finished space, you'd be coming close.

Most of Chicagoland (Chicago proper + Cook County) requires that all electrical wiring be run inside conduit, generally EMT. Type NM cable is not used there as a result. Because of this, labor & materials costs tend to be higher for installations in Chicagoland.

All I have to say is "Welcome to Chicago!"

Your permit fee is probably right at ~$250. Parts for a 14-50 install at that length are about $300-350 wholesale for Chicago requirements (see below). And if it takes a 2-man team 4 hours to work through finished space, you'd be coming close.

Most of Chicagoland (Chicago proper + Cook County) requires that all electrical wiring be run inside conduit, generally EMT. Type NM cable is not used there as a result. Because of this, labor & materials costs tend to be higher for installations in Chicagoland.

Though $1K more for 100 vs 50 seems a little high. My complete cost for running 100 Amp service to a new garage I'm building was about $4K but that also included the wiring for garage doors, exterior lights, interior lights and outlets. I would guess around half of the cost was in the main feed and setting up the panel. Distance of the run is around 75'. I'm going to run my HPWC at 80.

B-Chicago - you ought to get a second electrician to look at it. It doesn't sound like particularly difficult work. And you might consider ways to avoid the finished basement (run outside or what ever).

Tesla recommended provider quoted $4,500.00. My electrician $1,800.00. He did a great job.

Had the Tesla recommended vendor in Chicago area come out to quote the install of a 50amp or 100amp wire with 45' line to the garage. A lot more work than I anticipated. Approx $1500-2000 for the 50amp and approx $2500-3000 for the 100amp. Doesn't sound like the HPWC is effective with the 50amp, so it looks like an unexpected $2500-3000 cost for car ownership. Hopefully in 10 years I can look back with Tesla #3 and be happy with the amortized low cost of the install.

jesus you guys are getting ripped off hardcore. Parts out of home depot for my primary house NEMA 14-50 50amp install was around $320 and that included 125ft of 6/3 cable for 100+ft run to my garage. I also just did a second home same thing in the Poconos and parts were just under $50 as it was a much shorter run (clearly it's the cable that's the bulk of the cost). Those prices were retail (not wholesale or discounted) including tax. First install took me about 4-5 hours as I was being super cautious. Second one took me under an hour. If I was a contractor charging $75/hr, I would think the 'expected' rate should be between $200-$600 per install including parts. I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts on these forums where people were paying contractors between $350-$600 for a NEMA 14-50 install and that sounds about right. Not $1500+. That's like 4 times higher than you should have paid... sorry but you guys totally got ripped off.

Though $1K more for 100 vs 50 seems a little high. My complete cost for running 100 Amp service to a new garage I'm building was about $4K but that also included the wiring for garage doors, exterior lights, interior lights and outlets. I would guess around half of the cost was in the main feed and setting up the panel. Distance of the run is around 75'. I'm going to run my HPWC at 80.

B-Chicago - you ought to get a second electrician to look at it. It doesn't sound like particularly difficult work. And you might consider ways to avoid the finished basement (run outside or what ever).

Thanks. Getting a second quote from a friend who is a builder. I think it would probably be cheaper labor without having to deal with the basement, but hard to know. Again, I'm guessing the Tesla recommended service is trying for a 10-15%-ish premium. Hopefully a competing quote helps remedy that.

jesus you guys are getting ripped off hardcore. Parts out of home depot for my primary house NEMA 14-50 50amp install was around $320 and that included 125ft of 6/3 cable for 100+ft run to my garage. I also just did a second home same thing in the Poconos and parts were just under $50 as it was a much shorter run (clearly it's the cable that's the bulk of the cost). Those prices were retail (not wholesale or discounted) including tax. First install took me about 4-5 hours as I was being super cautious. Second one took me under an hour. If I was a contractor charging $75/hr, I would think the 'expected' rate should be between $200-$600 per install including parts. I'm pretty sure I've seen other posts on these forums where people were paying contractors between $350-$600 for a NEMA 14-50 install and that sounds about right. Not $1500+. That's like 4 times higher than you should have paid... sorry but you guys totally got ripped off.

Remember that Chicago requires conduit and you cannot use NM-B cable as you can in other places.
For a NEMA 14-50:
$250 permit fee + $140 wire + $70 conduit + $100 breaker/receptacle/box/conduitfittings. So already you're looking at $560, without labor. Add $50 for sales tax in Chicagoland.
If you're working within the confines of already-finished space, a 4-hour job for 2 men is certainly reasonable. $600 labor. Total $1210.

For an HPWC installation, upgrade the wire, and depending upon the AHJ, add a disconnect (the 14-50 receptacle and plug-connected UMC is considered a disconnect for the purposes of NEC article 625, but the HPWC doesn't have one). It's probably not $1000 more but it'll be about $500 or so more for labor to install the disconnect and HPWC.

The cost of an installation is going to be heavily based upon the obstacles present in running the wire, and the run's length.

Got my HPWC today. It came with the wall hanger.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Sorry for the delay, was out to dinner. Here is the inside, which looks slightly different than the unit on page 31.

- - - Updated - - -

And here is one of the fuse.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 574
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, was out to dinner. Here is the inside, which looks slightly different than the unit on page 31.

- - - Updated - - -

And here is what I think is the fuse, but they don't look like the fuses I'm used to... Let me know if I'm off my rocker.

Thanks for the pictures...definitely the new and improved unit. Even the head is connected differently which should eliminate some problems there too,