Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed mine myself at my sister's where I'll be temporarily staying for a few months. After surveying what I needed to do, picking up the stuff I needed, it took about 4 hours minus a dinner break. That includes everything -- drilling hole in the side of the house, running / mounting conduit, snaking wire, hooking it up, mounting the HPWC itself, caulk, testing, etc. The HPWC lives about 50 feet from the panel. The worst parts were the non-wiring portions (figuring out mounting logistics, mounting, drilling, running conduit). About $250 in parts.
So glad I'd read through this thread as it's developed -- including the trick about power-cycling the unit via the breaker after changing the DIP switches (wondering why the car refused to charge!)

I am thinking of fitting the HPWC in between the garage doors of a 2 car garage. I figure if I can get the wound up battery cable to be less than 16in wide, it would fit. Can a current HPWC owner check if the cable can be wound up that tight to fit within 16 inches? How tight can one wind up the cable?
Thanks

I did this and posted pics and measurements (down thread after a question) HERE. 16 inches is certainly doable but will be tight. The wood board pictured behind my HPWC is 16 inches wide and the cable fits. My cable in the pic is a little loose. Wrapped tightly I'm guessing it could work.

Replaced the blown fuse in my HWPC today. Unfortunately, the rear fuse was the one that blew, and it's a real PITA to get out/in. The side walls of the charger make it a really tight squeeze to get the screws on and off.

But, 15 minutes of wrangling later, I'm back in operation (and have 4 more fuses "for next time."). Looks like I'm getting the 4.5 update today so I'll be defaulting to 60A.

/Mitch.

HPWC installed this morning... :cool: Now we just need the MS so we can fully test it!

DSC_2381.jpg

I installed mine myself at my sister's where I'll be temporarily staying for a few months. After surveying what I needed to do, picking up the stuff I needed, it took about 4 hours minus a dinner break. That includes everything -- drilling hole in the side of the house, running / mounting conduit, snaking wire, hooking it up, mounting the HPWC itself, caulk, testing, etc. The HPWC lives about 50 feet from the panel. The worst parts were the non-wiring portions (figuring out mounting logistics, mounting, drilling, running conduit). About $250 in parts.
So glad I'd read through this thread as it's developed -- including the trick about power-cycling the unit via the breaker after changing the DIP switches (wondering why the car refused to charge!)

What kind of pre-install process did you go through to make sure your sister's system could hand it? I want to put a HPWC at my place but I'm not sure if my service will take it. I would assume there's more to it than popping in the appropriate breaker and running a cable to the charger?

What kind of pre-install process did you go through to make sure your sister's system could hand it? I want to put a HPWC at my place but I'm not sure if my service will take it. I would assume there's more to it than popping in the appropriate breaker and running a cable to the charger?

Just my two cents but it REALLY sounds as if you should get a professional to do any and all installs.

Yes, there is more to it. At a 100 amp rating, an HPWC will very likely be the largest power-consumer at your home. To an electrician it will be relatively straightforward, but the electrical currents used here require that you follow all the small details that make this type of work safe.

There is some pre-work that can be done. Go look at the size of your main breaker (generally the top one) in your service panel. If it is rated at less than 200 amps (for example, 125, 150, or 100 amps), you are likely going to need some work done. If you have a panel with a 200 amp main breaker, you will likely need to perform a load calculation to make sure you have enough capacity to handle another 80A continuous load (there are calculators online). An electrician can generally do this for you as well, even sometimes at a glance. Many of them will do it as part of an estimate for the installation.

I'm highly comfortable with electricity, understanding load, etc. so I felt OK doing this myself. Given she has a 200 amp service and I can't imagine why (in other words, her electrical load is extremely low), it was an obvious decision. I should probably let the utility company know, although I did visually inspect the transformer situation there and it doesn't serve many homes. I'm also sure my installation is not to code (and I didn't pull a permit and have it inspected).
If you're asking questions about the pre-install process, that suggests you should probably have someone do it :)

Oh, I wouldn't even think of trying to install it myself, as my electrical knowledge is minimal at best. I was just inquiring as to if there was anything simple I could do to ballpark how big a job this will be.

For example, If it's obvious that I'm going to have to upgrade my service, buy a new panel and associated hardware, and rewire half my house, there's no point in really even having an estimate done at this point.

I figure a reasonable install budget would be equal to the cost of the HPWC, but I'm not prepared to spend thousands to have this installed. Worst case scenario I'll make do with the NEMA 6-30 that's already in place.

Last edited:
If the service doesn't need an upgrade, and you can see how to run the wire (e.g. does it need to go underground? Through anything that's difficult to go through?), and how long... you can ballpark it.
Upgrading service gets trickier for sure; how big is your main breaker? How big is your house? What are your major appliances (e.g. central air, stove, clothes dryer, pool, well pump, etc; do you have more than one fridge and/or freezer? ... anything sort of .. atypical?)
You can also opt to run at a lower amperage if you can't run it full-tilt. Even 60 amps is 2.5x as fast as your 6-30.

Edit: for that matter, just get a few estimates ... no obligation.

I had an electrician come out and give me a quote to install my HPWC. I gave him the installation guide and he looked it over then wrote down what he needed. For the wiring he put down 50' of 6-3 and told me that was for for up to 150amps. Based off of the install guide, I thought I needed 2 runs of 3AWG and a ground. The neutral is not used. Am I confused? Should I be looking for a new electrician?

I had an electrician come out and give me a quote to install my HPWC. I gave him the installation guide and he looked it over then wrote down what he needed. For the wiring he put down 50' of 6-3 and told me that was for for up to 150amps. Based off of the install guide, I thought I needed 2 runs of 3AWG and a ground. The neutral is not used. Am I confused? Should I be looking for a new electrician?

Sounds like he was looking at the install guide for the 14-50, which needs 6AWG wiring on a 50A circuit.
If your panel can handle the power, up to a 100A breaker with #2 or #3 AWG is prefered.

Yes I would get a new electrician, a 6 gauge wire is only good for 60 amps max. The install guide clearly states 2 AWG for the hots and 3 AWG for the ground. I used 1 awg for the hots and 3 awg for the ground.
6-3 that was 50' long with 80 amps continuous going though it would burn down your house. I would not call that electrician back at all, get a second opinion.

Yes I would get a new electrician, a 6 gauge wire is only good for 60 amps max. The install guide clearly states 2 AWG for the hots and 3 AWG for the ground. I used 1 awg for the hots and 3 awg for the ground.
6-3 that was 50' long with 80 amps continuous going though it would burn down your house. I would not call that electrician back at all, get a second opinion.

Thanks! I'll do just that.

I have to correct a few things in this...

6 AWG copper, THHN, 90 deg C, is good up to 75 amps. The 6 AWG rated for 105 deg C in the HPWC is good up to 85 amps. If you use NM-B cable, a/k/a "Romex", you have to use the 60 degC rating, which is 55 amps even though the wires inside the cable are rated at 90 degC.

The install guide for the HPWC says 3 AWG for the power conductors, and 6 AWG is sufficient for ground.

6-3 would not burn down the house at 100 amps, although it would get quite warm.

And to the poster, get yourself a new electrician. :)

Last edited: