Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - HPWC (High Power Wall Connector)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...in which case there is no time for charging at home, so the speed doesn't matter. Am I missing something? You would need to use a local Supercharger then to keep up with that use case at all.

Hmm, of course I meant that I would have to leave as soon as it was charged. He would get off at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning and I would leave at 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning. Depending on the day I sometimes had to travel 2 to 250 mi. Then I usually ended up having to get to a supercharger as well.

This is all new to me coming from ICE cars all my life. The way I look at the situation is like I'm coming from those cars. That's like saying I'd like the fuel pump to fill up my tank as quickly as possible; realistically that isn't a problem with gas pumps, but when you're talking about multiple hours of charging it seemed (to me) that it would be best to have the highest power charging available.

I plan on regularly driving from my home to my cottage which is very close to the maximum range of the battery. I can't just stop at a supercharger along the way for two reasons:
1. None exist on the route
2. Stopping with kids is less than ideal

I think I'll find that having a 11.5kW charger at both places will be sufficient, but only time will tell. I do plan on getting a model X for the wife in the future so I think I'll need multiple chargers at least at home.

This is all new to me coming from ICE cars all my life. The way I look at the situation is like I'm coming from those cars. That's like saying I'd like the fuel pump to fill up my tank as quickly as possible; realistically that isn't a problem with gas pumps, but when you're talking about multiple hours of charging it seemed (to me) that it would be best to have the highest power charging available.

I plan on regularly driving from my home to my cottage which is very close to the maximum range of the battery. I can't just stop at a supercharger along the way for two reasons:
2. Stopping with kids is less than ideal

I think I'll find that having a 11.5kW charger at both places will be sufficient, but only time will tell. I do plan on getting a model X for the wife in the future so I think I'll need multiple chargers at least at home.
What we did before Superchargers (or even destination chargers) was to plan a stop with activities (and sleeping depending upon the length of the trip), so even though the charging was slow, there wasn't the boredom factor.

• Love
Reactions: Hank42 and Rocky_H
I love trying to figure these routing challenges out, like solving a puzzle. It's getting a little rare that there are 400 mile routes without any Superchargers. What cities are the endpoints of this?
Stopping with kids is less than ideal
I don't have little kids, so I wouldn't know from experience, but that seems like being cooped up in a car for 5+ hours straight would be more challenging for the kids than taking a break somewhere along the way.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I love trying to figure these routing challenges out, like solving a puzzle. It's getting a little rare that there are 400 mile routes without any Superchargers. What cities are the endpoints of this?

I don't have little kids, so I wouldn't know from experience, but that seems like being cooped up in a car for 5+ hours straight would be more challenging for the kids than taking a break somewhere along the way.
Yeah, to be fair I'm being a little dramatic on the range issue. My only problem is that if I leave my house at 80% and drive straight to the cottage it's only around 150 miles. I should have 276 miles of range, so realistically more than adequate.
There are NEMA 14-50 chargers on the route, but they're pretty much all at camp sites which I'd have to pay for if I NEEDED more juice.

I'm going from Oshkosh, WI to Wabeno, WI or possibly as far as Bayfield WI if we're camping. I would be able to charge up to 100% in these cases so range wouldn't be a factor as long as I'm not driving very spirited.

So I have a long trip today and set charging to 100% on my 48A/11kW charger. Is it normal to taper off this much as it reaches 100%? (Gen 3 HPWC on Model S Plaid).

Cheers, all.

Attachments

• F22D03A2-5B9A-41FB-990C-59BE099BDABF.jpeg
    F22D03A2-5B9A-41FB-990C-59BE099BDABF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 150
  • 8628ACB4-55F2-4856-956B-366C03623B31.jpeg
    8628ACB4-55F2-4856-956B-366C03623B31.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 132
So I have a long trip today and set charging to 100% on my 48A/11kW charger. Is it normal to taper off this much as it reaches 100%? (Gen 3 HPWC on Model S Plaid).

Cheers, all.
Yes. As it approaches 100% charge, the amps are reduced and eventually it will say charging has been completed. The ETA is usually not accurate and it can take an hour or more to get that final 1% if you let it charge all the way to 100%.

Yea, in some cases towards the end it will be only putting in a tiny amount of power. My old P85+ would drop down to ~500watts before it finally hit 100%. My current X usually hits 100% at about 900watts. Those last few percentage points take aggggeeeessss to finish.

Reactions: WilliamG
Yea, in some cases towards the end it will be only putting in a tiny amount of power. My old P85+ would drop down to ~500watts before it finally hit 100%. My current X usually hits 100% at about 900watts. Those last few percentage points take aggggeeeessss to finish.
Yeah nothing compared to my supercharging today!

Attachments

• 284C20C7-B0C3-4CF3-BE73-9DC1A0DC0156.jpeg
    284C20C7-B0C3-4CF3-BE73-9DC1A0DC0156.jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 129
Has anyone had this experience? I charge overnight at 40A, but it seems every time I open the app, the charge limit is set to 39A instead of 40A. It seems to be limited to the Tesla App since I also use Remote S and have not had this problem since I’ve had my gen 2 HPWC, Nov. 2016. App version is iOS 4.2.3-742. 2015 P85D is on 2021.40.6. But this behavior has been this way for a couple of versions of car software.

Has anyone had this experience? I charge overnight at 40A, but it seems every time I open the app, the charge limit is set to 39A instead of 40A. It seems to be limited to the Tesla App since I also use Remote S and have not had this problem since I’ve had my gen 2 HPWC, Nov. 2016. App version is iOS 4.2.3-742. 2015 P85D is on 2021.40.6. But this behavior has been this way for a couple of versions of car software.
Yes I’ve seen this happen in my car 2021 Model S Plaid. I think it’s app bugging out. For me it drops from 48A to 47A. Not only that, it sometimes drops my charge limit from 80% to 79%.

It might also be from a higher than normal voltage. The on-board charger has both an amperage limit and a wattage limit. If the voltage is unusally high, then the charger would have to back off the amperage to stay within it's wattage limit. My other thought is that the specific EVSE might have a slighly lower frequency on it's pilot signal, and the app might use a different rounding formula from the car, causing it to display 1 amp lower.

Reactions: miimura
It might also be from a higher than normal voltage. The on-board charger has both an amperage limit and a wattage limit. If the voltage is unusally high, then the charger would have to back off the amperage to stay within it's wattage limit. My other thought is that the specific EVSE might have a slighly lower frequency on it's pilot signal, and the app might use a different rounding formula from the car, causing it to display 1 amp lower.
Mine hasn’t been doing it the last few weeks. There have been a few app updates since then. It’s hard to say. My car was also dropping the charge limit by itself, too. So I’d set it to 80%/48A and I’d check later and it’s lowered itself to 79% at 47A. My money is on a bug.

Interesting. Got a link to the thread? I’ve also noticed the car just shuts charging off at 79% on a regular basis, despite set to 80% in the app. Assume this is related.
Yep, here you go:

(Edit) Ah, and I see that you found it and added a comment there.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG