Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to decide between ordering a model s or a model x - what are some pros and cons for both? Which one do you like better and why? I'm leaning towards a Model X since I'm pretty tall and would like to have the extra cabin space for traveling. I've heard some opinions in favor of both, but wanted to get a few more.

Thanks!

Reactions: DIL
the X. poor visibility in rear view mirror, gull wing doors only in the back so does not help with parking tight spots.
s is very good but needs a 3 position seat belt for short people. Seats fold down and give more cargo space than the x in length

I've been trying to decide myself. I'm eagerly waiting for my local showroom to open so that I can get a better look at both of them.

The MS is cheaper, has better acceleration, better range. My general impression is that, on average, new MS cars have far fewer fit & finish issues as opposed to MX. However, the MX is a newer design, and has a nicer interior with things like door pockets, more cup holders, and is generally more roomy.

I'm leaning towards MX for the same reason you are -- more space. But I'm not sure I like the idea of the FWDs. That just seems like way, way too much stuff to go wrong. The panoramic windshield on the X sounds cool, but I worry about the ghosting issues I've read about. Since you're tall and it is supposedly caused by looking through the upper part of the windshield that's more curved, that might impact you more than me (I'm only 5'10").

• Informative
I have owned both and here is what I've liked:
Model S - Sportier and more fun to drive; faster; I pushed the car a lot more; better range; beautiful looks; sunroof
Model X - More interior features; better for a family car due to seating config and FWD; 6 or 7 seats; wife feels more comfortable driving it due to higher seating position and large windshield; flashier.

Main reason we went with adding an X was for family travel (pretty much a minivan replacement). I prefer having the pano sunroof vs the large windshield.

I traded in my model S for a model X. The model X is my dream car. I am biased because it is the car I originally wanted. The panoramic windshield and falcon wing doors put the model X in an entirely different category than any other car. There is nothing that can properly challenge the model X, in my opinion. The X air suspension is more useful, with a wider range of heights. The X is more luxurious, such as the wood trim in the doors. The model X feels like a car that Elon teleported 10 years from the future.

That being said, the model S will be quicker and longer ranged, as per above. It is much later in its development cycle, and extremely reliable with a better exterior fit and finish. I would have no qualms about owning a model S over 200,000 miles. That will change over time and the model X will achieve model S status sooner or later.

Our x is best vehicle we ever owned
High end stereo amazing
Like sitting up high
Windshield makes me feel like I'm outside
Seats comfortable (leather)
No range anxiety with the 100d
Plenty fast
Able for 3 couples to travel in one vehicle
With rear seats down, plenty of cargo space

I'll be taking delivery of my X in a couple weeks and have only test driven both, never owned. My reasons:

Space. While others have noted you can have more length in the S with the seats folded, I find the X provides better functionality in offering both storage and maximizing seating simultaneously. If going on a ski trip, in the 6-seater configuration, I can have the skis and boards down the middle with a slight angle and still comfortably fit 5 (with just one rear seat down). Also, I have a big hockey goalie bag that's just a few inches too big for the S trunk, so again, I could fit my cargo and still fit a family if needed. Plus, you can seat more than 5 adults if you get the higher seat configurations.

Falcon-Wing Doors. By all accounts, they do offer more issues, but there is nothing else like it and for that reason, I like the uniqueness and am ready for some servicing if needed. Love it or hate it, it's all about knowing what you're getting into, and I like how they stand out.

Features. The X just has more smaller features to it such as the automatic doors. Again, this kind of touches on my previous point where it's just such a unique car. Elon himself said how it was a mistake to load the X with as many additional features as he did and won't be making that mistake anytime soon. If any other automaker didn't know that already, I bet they learned from his lesson. With that said, it's safe to say there won't be any car quite like it for a long time.

Windshield. At first it didn't seem like such a big deal to me, like more of a bonus, but then I was fortunate enough to take an overnight loaner X after placing my order. Even just over that time, I became so accustomed to the extra visibility that once I went back to my BMW or any other car, it just wasn't the same and felt cramped. Not sure how else to explain it, but it just feels more freeing.

Of course there are cons, such as slightly reduced range, a higher price tag, and an increased likelihood of issues to fix, but if I'm getting a car with such a price tag, I need it to have the functionality I require, which only the X meets. So while you can always come across the horror story of a bad delivery, I found that you can typically get it resolved fairly easily nowadays. Again, just know what you're getting into regardless of the decision you make.

Hope that helps!

Two great video comparison reviews, both preferring the people hauling creature comforts of the X, while the Model S takes the medal for better looks and tighter handling with greater range:

From Bjorn -
Courtesy Bob -

I'm going back and forth too. Because we already have a minivan and really young kids I'm leaning toward an S with rear facing jump seats and a sunroof. Practical and FUN!

• Informative
Reactions: P100DHG. and Bebop
I got the X because I have a family of 5. Kids are also young, and they LOVED the FWD. I like them too. I considered the S with the little seats in the trunk but I hardly ever see them in inventory cars, so I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, they are not popular for a reason.

I have an S and going to an X.

Realistically, the reason for the switch is because the X is newer and more space. I like that the doors have sections to put stuff in. The S is nice, dont get me wrong but its just missing so many features i feel like. Its def more reliable but I will say that a refresh for the S is far more closer than an X will get.

and me being me I will want the latest and greatest.

...opinions...

I drove my 2012 Model S for 5 years and it's fine but I've felt too claustrophobic and I now much enjoying the more spacious Model X for the past 5 months and 5,800 miles.

In a small garage, of course loading is compromised whether it's an S or an X.

Even when the Model X's wings are only partially up in a small garage, I still prefer loading boxes, luggage with Model X than the S.

• Informative